What to do: Study the illustrations of the
creatures and develop a possible
classification scheme based on information
You must be able to justify and defend your
1. Note feature similarities and
differences of the creatures. Construct
a table to organize data such as (but not
limited to) hair, antennae, and neck.
2. Place the cards in groups based on
similarities and differences observed.
Once group is in agreement, construct
another table to list characteristics
common to each group.
3. Get a set of Newly Discovered
Organism Cards from teacher. Take each
organism and suppose that it was just
discovered. Where do they fit into your
system of organization? Will you have to
create a new group?
4. Be able to explain your
classification scheme to the large group.
Present your table to group.
What did you learn?
1. How are organisms classified?
2. What benefits come from classifying
3. How would you further classify
yourself as an individual? What traits
would be important in the classification?
4. Where would you begin if you had to
classify an unknown plant?