Document Sample
BRAC FAQS Powered By Docstoc
					                                BRAC FAQ’S
                   Date Last Updated 18 Sep 08
                   (updates/clarifications annotated in red)

                                         Section I
                      VOLUNTEER PROCESS Q & A’s
1. QUESTION: Explain the TRADOC Volunteer Process.

ANSWER: Current, permanent USAARMC & USAIC employees will be allowed to volunteer
for new positions in the Manuever Center of Excellence at Fort Benning. Employees at
USAARMC & USAIC will receive equal consideration in the volunteer process. All employees
who volunteer to realign will be guaranteed a job at their same grade level or equivalent.
Employees may volunteer for an unlimited number of positions at their same grade level or
equivalent. All “direct matches” will be made first. Employees will be provided a timeframe for
movement of the positions. Employees who volunteer must have an up to date resume in the
army automated referral system (Resumix).

Employees who volunteer must be fully qualified IAW OPM qualifications standards & must
meet medical/physical and/or special requirements. If more than one volunteer qualifies for a
direct match, the service computation date (SCD) for leave will determine placement. If
multiple volunteers qualify for a non direct match, a panel comprised of HR representatives
and SMEs from the realigning schools/centers will determine placement.

The volunteer actions will be processed as management directed reassignments. These, in
Lieu of RIF offers (reassignments to MCOE), includes offers outside of the commuting area
and permits the use of Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA) & Voluntary Separation
Incentive pay (VSIP) in the event a RIF is required.(updated 18 Sep 08)

2. QUESTION: What if I do not volunteer?

ANSWER: If you do not volunteer you will remain in your position unless
otherwise placed. Once the position becomes excess you will be subject to
Reduction-in-Force (RIF) Procedures. You may apply for Voluntary Early
Retirement Authority (VERA) and Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay (VSIP) if
offered (updated 18 Sep 08). When applicable, you may register in the DoD
Priority Placement Program (PPP) and the TRADOC Mandatory Surplus
Placement Program (MSPP). If eligible for severance pay, you are a mandatory
PPP registrant in the commuting area when a RIF notice is issued.

3. QUESTION: What if I volunteer, but do not accept a specific written job

ANSWER: If you volunteer and decline a specific written job offer, you will
remain in your position unless otherwise placed. Once the position becomes
excess you will be subject to RIF Procedures. You are not eligible for early PPP
registration. If eligible for severance pay you are a mandatory PPP registrant in
the commuting area when a RIF notice is issued. In the event a RIF becomes
necessary at Fort Knox, you may apply for VSIP if offered RIF (18 Sep 08).

4. QUESTION: What if I volunteer, accept a specific written job offer, and
later decline?

ANSWER: Acceptance of a specific written job offer constitutes a firm and
binding condition of employment. If you volunteer, accept a specific written job
offer, and later decline, you will be separated under adverse action procedures
for failure to meet a condition of employment. You will not be eligible for VSIP,
PPP registration, or the TRADOC MSPP.

Volunteer Process - Example 1
Sammy Shell – Assigned to USAARMC at Fort Knox. He did not volunteer to
relocate to the MCOE at Fort Benning. Tentative RIF date is Sep 2010. He is
seeking other employment. What happens to Sammy?

   •   He will continue to perform assigned duties
          – At Knox until RIF date or by TDY to Ft. Benning subject to mission
          – Be detailed to other jobs
   •   He may register in DOD early PPP if approved (updated 18 Sep 08)
       (Commanders Discretion)
   •   He remains on the rolls until the RIF date
   •   He pursues continued Federal employment

Volunteer Process - Example 2
Sally Simmons – Assigned to USAARMC at Fort Knox. She did not volunteer to
move to the MCOE at Fort Benning. Tentative RIF date is Sep 2010. Sally
wants to retire, but will not be eligible until Feb 11. What happens to Sally?

   •   She could apply for VERA/VSIP (if offered) during the open window. She
       would be subject to the management imposed separation date. (updated
       18 Sep 08)
   •   With Mgmt approval she may remain on rolls until she reaches voluntary
       retirement eligibility.
   •   She may be detailed to other work subject to mission requirements or be
       required to go TDY to Fort Benning when needed until her separation

Volunteer Process - Example 3
Susie Stevens – Works in the USAARMC at Fort Knox. She volunteers,
receives, and accepts final job offer at MCOE, Fort Benning which is scheduled
to move Feb 2010. Susie changes her mind and applies for a position with the
State Dept in Washington DC in Apr 2009. What happens if Susie accepts the
position with State Dept?

   •   Susie leaves Knox for her new position w/State Dept subject to normal
       employee release procedures
   •   If Susie already had PCS orders for MCOE, Fort Benning AND spent
       MCOE money, e.g., house hunting, Susie will be required to reimburse
       MCOE money. Susie will still report to State Dept on the agreed upon
       release date.

Volunteer Process - Example 4
Sarah Snyder – Works at USAARMC at Knox. She volunteers and receives a
job offer. Sarah DECLINES the job offer. What happens to Sarah?

   •   She is ineligible for early PPP registration
   •   If eligible for severance pay, she is a mandatory registrant in PPP in the
       commuting area when the RIF notice is issued
   •   She is ineligible for VSIP
   •   She is separated through RIF procedures if
           • not placed through PPP
           • does not find a job on her own
           • does not retire (voluntary or DSR)
           • does not resign

Volunteer Process - Example 5
Stanley Steamer – Employee at USAARMC at Knox. He volunteers, receives,
and ACCEPTS a firm job offer at MCOE, Fort Benning, and signs mandatory
relocation agreement. When DIRECTED to relocate in Sept 2010, Stanley
DECLINES. What happens to Stanley?

   •   He is ineligible for RIF placement
   •   He is ineligible for VERA
   •   He is ineligible for VSIP
   •   He is ineligible for PPP/MSPP
   •   He receives notice of proposed separation under adverse action
   •   He is involuntarily separated from Federal Service (unless he finds his
       own continuing employment, retires, or resigns)

5. QUESTION: If I choose not to relocate to the MCOE, what transition assistance is
available to me?

ANSWER: Transition programs associated with the Volunteer Process are listed below.
Employee briefings and information papers will be made available to discuss the specific
details of these programs.

Priority Placement Program
Reemployment Priority Program
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program
Mandatory Placement Into Other TRADOC Vacancies
Job Swap Program
Voluntary RIF
Relocation services
Retraining Programs

6. QUESTION: Is there an implementation plan for the move available at this time?

ANSWER: Implementation plans are being worked jointly by the USAARMC and USAIC BRAC
Transition Teams. Sr. Leader and Workforce Briefings are planned to address specific move
details, quality of life matters, and benefits and entitlements information.

7. QUESTION: What is the date for the final decision on the BRAC move? When did the
recommendations become law?

ANSWER: The final decision on BRAC was made when it became law on 9 Nov 05. (Jan 06)

8. QUESTION: Will the latest BRAC law effective May 2005 change with the next

ANSWER: Changing BRAC law requires an act of Congress. We have no information
concerning such proposed legislation. We will post any changes or developments on this
page. (Aug 07)

9. QUESTION: Who decides what new position I will be offered at the new location?

ANSWER: The HR Community will work with management in making the determination. We
will follow all regulations and laws. (Aug 07)

10. QUESTION: How do I use the leave in the BRAC Restored Leave Account?

ANSWER: Have your timekeeper use code LO on the leave request and also check restored
annual leave. This takes the leave from your BRAC restored leave instead of your regular
annual leave. You should see the change to your BRAC Restored Leave account reflected on
your LES. (Jan 07)

11. QUESTION: Once I decline the MCOE Job Offer, do I have to leave my job right then
or can I stay until I’m placed through PPP or find another one?

ANSWER: No employee will be forced out as soon as they decline the MCOE Job Offer.
Individual situations will vary depending on when they are placed through PPP or find other
employment. Employees who are not placed will receive a specific notice informing them of
their separation and the proposed effective date. The date will depend on the timing of the
USAARMC movement. (Aug 07)

12. QUESTION: After I accept the MCOE Job Offer, can I apply for and accept a
promotion before we move to our new location?

ANSWER: Absolutely. You can still compete for, be selected and accept another position
within your organization after you accept the MCOE Job Offer. The new position can be a
downgrade, a lateral transfer, or a promotion. However, once the MCOE Job Offers have
been issued, to accept another position within your organization you will most likely be
required to sign a mobility agreement with a sunset clause that indicates you will relocate to
the new location. (Jan 08)

13. QUESTION: As a manager, how soon after the Volunteer Survey Of Interest letters
are issued can I hire against positions that are held by employees who have indicated
they won’t relocate?

ANSWER: When placements of all personnel have been decided, recruitment for the
remaining vacancies can begin. (Aug 07)

14. QUESTION: Will there be a difference in retirement pay if we take the VERA versus

ANSWER: No, there is no pay difference between the two. Both require CSRS and FERS
employees to have at least 20 years of federal service by age 50 or 25 years at any age, and
five of those years must be civilian federal service. Also for VERA and DSR, CSRS
employees will have their retirement pay reduced two percent for each year they are under 55
years of age.

Note that there is a difference between voluntary retirement, i.e., being fully retirement eligible,
as compared to early retirement under VERA and DSR. The very fact VERA and DSR are
early retirement may affect your retirement pay by virtue of how many years you have worked.
(Aug 07)

15. QUESTION: Who is the approval authority for Discontinued Service Retirement
(DSR)? I heard it was the CG.

ANSWER: The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is the approval authority for DSR.
The following link may be helpful to anyone considering DSR. (Aug 07)

16. QUESTION: Can I submit my DSR packet at anytime?

ANSWER: You can‟t submit your request until you are in receipt of a notice of separation
notice. To avoid any interruptions in health benefits or life insurance, you should submit it four
to six months before your requested separation date. (Aug 07)

17. QUESTION: If I take the DSR, receive an annuity, register in PPP and am
subsequently placed in a position, am I considered a re-employed annuitant and what
happens to the annuity?

ANSWER: If you are placed in a position through PPP following your DSR, you will be
reinstated and not considered a re-employed annuitant. If you are reemployed after receiving
an annuity based on a discontinued service retirement, and your reemployment is in a position
that normally would be subject to retirement deductions, your annuity will be terminated. Your
future annuity benefits would then be recalculated based on your separation from the
reemployment service. (Jan 06)

18. QUESTION: What penalties will be enforced should one elect retirement rather than
move if under the age of 60 under FERS with over 20 years of service?

ANSWER: Employees who decline the MCOE Job Offer will be eligible for DSR if they are at
least 50 years of age and have 20 years of service. [NOTE: no reductions apply for FERS
employees who go out on DSR]. Employees with 25 years of service and any age are also
eligible for DSR. In this situation, an employee who meets their Minimum Retirement Age
(MRA) may be entitled to a Retiree Annuity Supplement. Contact the CPAC to discuss your
retirement options. (Feb 06)

19. QUESTION: We’re seeing a rise in sick leave since FERS doesn’t pay for unused
sick leave as CSRS does. Any chance for a buy back policy for FERS?

ANSWER: Unlike annual leave which is an entitlement, sick leave is a benefit to be used when
truly needed. There have been several legislative attempts to change the law, but they have
all been unsuccessful. (Jan 08)

20. QUESTION: What kind of leave, if any, would be counted for days to make up the
difference to retire early if the move is close to an employee’s retirement date?

ANSWER: Annual Leave - “An agency shall retain an employee who is being involuntarily
separated because of the employee's decision to decline relocation and who elects to use
annual leave to remain on the agency's rolls after the effective date the employee would
otherwise have been separated by adverse action, in order to establish initial eligibility for

immediate retirement, and/or to establish initial eligibility to continue health benefits coverage
into retirement.” (Title 5 CFR 351) (Jan 06)

21. QUESTION: I have a lot of sick leave accumulated. How can I use this toward my

ANSWER: The sick leave is not counted toward your years for establishing eligibility for
retirement. For employees covered by the CSRS, your unused sick leave is converted into
months and days and added to your federal service to determine the amount of your annuity.
Credit is given for whole months only (30 days). Once you have reached your eligibility for
retirement, when the OPM calculates your retirement annuity they will add the full months of
unused sick leave to your total years of service, for example: if you had had 30 years of
service and you had 1200 hours of unused sick leave OPM would calculate your retirement
annuity based on 30 years, 6 months of service. The effect of this is to increase the amount of
your annuity. (Feb 06)

22. QUESTION: If I take Discontinued Service Retirement, and after four months of
being retired I get a job either through PPP or ICTAP. Would the sick leave that I had
lost be restored when I accept the new position?

ANSWER: If you return to Federal employment after retiring under the CSRS, your sick leave
cannot be re-credited to you since it was used in your annuity. Under CSRS, the type of
retirement doesn't make a difference - your Sick Leave at the time of Optional or Discontinued
Service retirement is factored into your Service Computation Date and therefore, results in a
higher monthly annuity.

However, if you retired under FERS, your sick leave will be re-credited if you return to Federal
service since sick leave is not used to calculate a FERS annuity. This is true unless you
transferred to FERS and had part of your annuity computed under CSRS rules. In this case,
any leave that was not used in calculating your annuity will be re-credited to you. See: (Jan 08)

23. QUESTION: Is it possible to reward employees who do not use sick leave?

ANSWER: No, it has been determined that awards for non-use of sick leave are contrary to
law and regulation.

24. QUESTION: Will there be a waiver given for health insurance if not under a plan for
five years at the time of realignment?

ANSWER: OPM's current waiver policy provides pre-approved waivers for any employee who
is involuntarily separated and who has been continuously covered under the Federal
Employee Health Benefits Program (FEHB) since Nov 2003. If you do not qualify for a pre-
approved waiver, you may ask OPM for a waiver,. OPM will consider each case on its own
merits, based on the criteria that are applied to all other retiring employees. It is important to
note that OPM generally does not render a decision until three months prior to the requested

retirement date. The FEHB handbook can be found
at:, and FEHB FAQs at (Aug 07)

25. QUESTION: How would I get a waiver of the 5-year coverage requirement to
continue my Federal Employee Health Benefits into retirement?

ANSWER: The following information is taken from the Health FAQs on ABC-C (Army Benefits
Center - Civilian) reference five years of continuing health benefits: „What are the exceptions
to the "5 Year Test" for continuing health benefits coverage into retirement?”

OPM has authorized an automatic waiver of the five-year enrollment requirement for
employees who retire on or after Oct 1, 1996, and who were covered under the FEHBP on and
continuously after Oct 1, 1996, under one of the following conditions: Retire and receive VSIP,
retire on an involuntary retirement as a result of RIF, job abolishment, directed reassignment,
reclassification with a downgrade of more then two grade pay levels, or separate from a
surplus position, or Retire on VERA. (Aug 07)

26. QUESTION: Will employees who take DSR be eligible for job retraining services
offered through the Department of Labor?

ANSWER: If an employee is retiring to avoid being terminated because of BRAC (meaning, he
or she will retire from Federal service, but not from the labor market), he or she can still receive
certain Department of Labor services. The employee should check with his or her DOL service
provider (i.e., One Stop Center) to find out the services available at that particular location. To
find the One Stop Center closest to you, visit
http:www/ (Jul 06)

27. QUESTION: How does severance pay work?

ANSWER: Employees who have worked for the Federal government for at least 52 weeks,
who are not entitled to receive a Federal annuity (including military retirement pay), and who
are involuntarily separated through RIF or BRAC are entitled to severance pay. The
severance pay is calculated by the following formula: 1 week of basic pay for the first 10 years
of service and two weeks of basic pay for every year thereafter. If you are over age 40 there is
also a percentage adjustment to this amount. The maximum entitlement is 1 year of
severance pay for any employee. Employees can elect to receive their severance pay in a
lump sum or in bi-weekly payments in an amount similar to their current salary on regular
civilian pay days. Employees can have their severance pay fund calculated by their CPAC.
There is also a severance pay calculator available on the Army Benefits Center (ABC) website: (you will need to log in with your username password).

If the employee takes severance in bi-weekly payments rather than a lump sum, and then
accepts a job with the federal government, the payments cease. The employee will not be
required to pay back any payment received during the time s/he was not working for the

federal government. If an employee receives one lump sum payment and then accepts a
federal job, he will be required to pay back the portion that he would not have yet received had
he received his severance pay in payments over time. (Aug 07)

                                        Section II

                        QUESTIONS ABOUT MOVING
28. QUESTION: Will civilians have to pay for the move? Will the government pay for my
transportation? Airfare? Gas for my car?

ANSWER: Employees who move under Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with their
organization will be reimbursed for travel and transportation expenses in accordance with Joint
Travel Regulations (JTR Volume 2, Chapter 5, Part A). Specific guidance will be provided at
employee townhall briefings. (Dec 05)

29. QUESTION: Will the government pack and move our belongings?

ANSWER: Employees who move under PCS with their organization will be reimbursed for
travel and transportation expenses in accordance with Joint Travel Regulations (JTR Volume
2, Chapter 5, Part A). Specific guidance will be provided as we get closer to the move. (Dec

30. QUESTION: Moving is expensive. Will civilians be able to get advances to help
cover some of these expenses upfront?

ANSWER: Yes. Advances are available for most moving-related expenses. (Feb 06)

31. QUESTION: Will the command provide monetary incentives to retain and relocate
employees besides PCS expenses and DNRP?

ANSWER: Hiring and retention incentives will be used as determined by the USAARMC
Commander. BRAC funds will not pay for relocation or retention incentives. Therefore,
USAARMC must fund any incentives they choose to use. (Aug 07)

32. QUESTION: Will contractors receive any assistance for moving?

ANSWER: Individual contractor employees should discuss transition assistance with their
employing organization, as this assistance, if any, will be provided by their employer. (Feb 06)

33. QUESTION: I know military moving allowances for military are determined by rank.
How are the moving allowances determined for civilians?

ANSWER: The worldwide maximum weight of household goods (HHG) that may be
transported (and/or stored in connection with transportation) is 18,000 pounds net weight for
each employee. There are exceptions for Professional Books, Papers, and Equipment and
other unique items. Please check JTR Vol II, chap 5 for additional information. NOTE: Under
no circumstances may the Government pay any expenses associated with excess weight.
(Feb 06)

34. QUESTION: Will civilians be given time off to travel to the new location to look for
housing without signing for leave?

ANSWER: In accordance with the JTR, there are allowances for house hunting trips. For
more information, please visit: (Dec 05)

35. QUESTION: Will we be put up in hotels until our shipment arrives at government

ANSWER: Employees who move under PCS with their organization will be reimbursed for
Temporary Quarters and Subsistence Expenses (TQSE) in accordance with JTR Vol II, Chap
5, Part A. Specific guidance will be provided as we get closer to the move. (Dec 05)

36. QUESTION: Where will I stay while house hunting?

ANSWER: This is up to the individual. It is in your best interest to contact realtors, local
hotels, etc., and use the web as early as possible to research options.
(Aug 07)

37. QUESTION: How much time will we receive to move and get set up?

ANSWER: All federal employees are authorized travel time as well as time for household
goods pick up and up to 10 days for a house hunting trip (HHT) at the directorate‟s discretion.
Any days spent on HHT are deducted from the amount of days later paid as Temporary
Quarters and Subsistence Expenses. (Aug 07)

38. QUESTION: DNRP states I will be paid fair market value for my house based on three
assessments. Does this mean how much my property is assessed for tax purposes?

ANSWER: Once in DNRP you can choose the option of GHS and request a Relocation
Counselor. The counselor will give you a list of local qualified, professional appraisers who
meet Employee Relocation Council qualifications. You will select three appraisers from that
list who will then appraise the fair market value of your home. This is the fair market value that
you will be paid, not the tax assessment value. (Jan 08)

39. QUESTION: If I have negative equity in my home is that a loss I assume or will the
government provide assistance in this area?

ANSWER: The government will only pay the fair market value of your home. (Jan 08)

40. QUESTION: Who decides the fair market value of your home?

ANSWER: Employees can get three assessments for their home and the government will pay
the highest assessment. (Jan 08)

41. QUESTION: I have a lease and need to get out of it. Will the government buy out my

ANSWER: When an organization/agency transfers a civilian employee from one permanent
duty station to another, the agency will reimburse the employee for many relocation expenses,
including the expense of settling an unexpired lease. However, the employee must be
prepared to provide the following documentation to the approving official and DFAS a/an:
       a. Copy of the lease prescribing penalties or other costs payable if occupancy is
terminated prior to the lease expiration date,
       b. Statement of the extent of bona fide attempts made to avoid penalty costs if the lease
includes a savings provision for subleasing or making other arrangements to avoid penalty
costs, and
       c. Itemization of expenses and necessary explanations for clarification of penalty costs
and paid receipts for each expense item. (Aug 07)

42. QUESTION: Will the government pay for me to transport and kennel my pet?

ANSWER: Unfortunately, no. IAW JTR Vol II, Chap 5, Part 1, government funds cannot be
spent to provide pet transportation. Only mandated quarantine charges (excluding
medicine/medical care and similar fees for service that are part of routine pet care or pet
transportation) are reimbursable due to a PCS under Miscellaneous Expense Allowance. (Jan

43. QUESTION: How will the subject of joint domicile be handled for government
employees, under BRAC?

ANSWER: Federal civilian spouses of DA civilians who are impacted by BRAC are eligible for
registration and referral in the DoD PPP, Family Member Placement (Program F) for a period
of one year from the date of registration.

44. QUESTION: Will DoD civilian moves be paid for by the government the same as a
soldier PCS move? What is the expected lead time to notify civilians from the expected
time on station at Benning?

ANSWER: Civilian entitlements differ from military PCS entitlements and are dictated by the
Joint Travel Regulation 2 (JTR2). Employees will be notified as soon as possible, but not later
than 60 days prior to the effective date of the action.

45. QUESTION: My position is targeted to move to Fort Benning. I am a homeowner. I
understand there will be relocation allowances but what happens if I cannot sell my

home prior to the move? I cannot afford two homes in two different locations. Renting
out my home in this area is not an option.

ANSWER: There are many options to help relocating employees to sell their home. Relocation
and PCS entitlements are outlined in the JTR2. BRAC impacted Army employees who are
homeowners are authorized to use the services of the Defense National Relocation Program
                                        Section III

46. QUESTION: What benefits does an employee with TERM status receive during the
relocation? Is a TERM status employee eligible to enroll in PPP?

ANSWER: The DoD Priority Placement Program (PPP) manual defines "Type of Appointment"
i.e., term, permanent, temporary, intermittent, etc under Chapter 3B1a - "Basic Eligibility" for
registration into the program as:

“Employees must be on an appointment without time limitation:
In the competitive service and have career or career-conditional status; or,
(2) In the excepted service with or without personal competitive status. This includes, but is not
limited to, employees on Veterans Readjustment Appointments and special appointments for
the handicapped….”

An employee on a Term Appointment is not considered to be on an appointment without time
limitation nor is a Term appointment considered to be a permanent appointment. Therefore
the individual is not eligible to register in the PPP Program and their appointment will be
terminated at the time of the move. Additionally, they do not meet the definition of "displaced"
employee as defined in 5 CFR 330.703 and are not eligible for priority consideration through
the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP). However, an employee on a
Term appointment may be eligible for Unemployment Compensation and/or retraining and
readjustment assistance through the Workforce Investment Act administered by the local State
Unemployment Office. (Feb 06)

47. QUESTION: Where can I get help in preparing my résumé so I can apply for another
job within or outside the command?

ANSWER: Representatives from the State Unemployment compensation office, ACAP, CPAC
and others agencies will be available to assist BRAC impacted employees. Contact your local
CPAC for information about other resources that can assist with resume preparation or
application procedures. The Fort Knox CPAC Job information desk can be reached at 502-

48. QUESTION: Could you describe how PPP works?

ANSWER: The Priority Placement Program provides special consideration for placement in
DoD vacancies. Eligible Employees are registered in a computerized system that is operated
in Dayton, Ohio, by the Priority Placement Support Branch. As DoD vacancies occur,
supporting civilian personnel offices use the computer system to tell the Center in Dayton to
refer the résumés of employees who match the title, series, and grade of their vacant position
and who have indicated availability for placement at that DoD location.

Employees remain registered in PPP until they are placed, decline a valid offer, or up to 12
months after the effective date of separation from the permanent position. Employees may be
registered for positions two pay grades below and up to the current grade for vacancies at
DOD activities within a specified geographic area

(No farther than the distance between your current duty site and Fort Benning
Employees are referred using a numeric priority 1 through 3. The priority assigned is based on
the severity of the employee‟s proposed personnel action. For example, an employee facing
RIF-separation with no offer of continued employment is assigned a Priority 1, while an
employee who declines a valid offer of employment outside of their commuting area is
assigned a Priority 2. Priority 1 employees must be considered for placement before priority 2
and 3 employees. When the résumés reflect priorities 1 or 2, all recruiting action STOPS and
the job is offered to the highest priority registrant determined to be well qualified. Priority 3
résumés permit the selection of a current employee of the Component, e.g., Army, Navy or Air
Force, but STOPS new appointments, including reinstatement, and transfers from outside the

The placement made in accordance with PPP procedures is mandatory, and this mandate is
rigidly enforced. This means that the employee will only be offered one position. Employees
who decline a valid offer of employment are automatically dropped from PPP. Gaining
agencies are required to accept PPP registrants as long as they are well qualified for the job
including meeting any reasonable, special qualifications. (Aug 07)

49. QUESTION: I have been told that if you seek a job through priority placement, the
area of consideration may be broad geographically. If I wish to work in a particular
area, how narrow of a geographic area may I specify?

ANSWER: Eligible employees who decline job offers outside the commuting area can only be
referred to activities that are less distant from the registrant's current duty station than the
activity to which the transfer was offered. The minimum area is your current commuting area.
The PPP can refer registrants to individual DoD activities or to all DoD activities within a broad
area; however, employees may not skip over DOD activities or states to register for more
distant locations. The registering activity (Fort Knox CPAC) will work with the employee at the
time they are registered to determine their area of referral. (Jul 06)

50. QUESTION: Is job placement through PPP a guarantee?

ANSWER: No. The greater the geographical area a registrant signs up for, the greater the
chance for placement. Employees who do not wish to relocate to the MCOE are highly
encouraged to seek employment on their own. (Aug 07)

51. QUESTION: What other placement programs are available to help employees find

ANSWER: In addition to PPP, the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)
provides priority consideration for certain jobs in non-DoD Federal agencies within the
separating employee‟s commuting area. Unlike the PPP, which feature centralized registration
and referral systems, ICTAP requires eligible employees to apply for individual vacancies.
Department of Army Civilian employees and their families are eligible for job transition
assistance and counseling at Army Career and Alumni Program (ACAP) Centers if the
employee has lost a job due to a RIF or the BRAC process. The Fort Knox ACAP Center is
located in bldg 1109.–ICTAP Procedures - Employees must apply to the agency for vacancies
within the same commuting area as they are currently working. If they are found well-qualified,
and have at least a Fully Successful rating of record, they must be selected for the position
before the agency can hire applicants from outside the agency.

If you meet the basic requirements, your ICTAP eligibility begins on receipt of a specific
separation notice and continues for up to 1 year after separation. Employees must submit an
application that complies with all job announcement instructions and a copy of the separation
notice must be attached. (Jan 06)

52. QUESTION: If at the separation effective date I change my mind and decline the
MCOE Job Offer am I eligible for PPP registration or will I be out of a job?

ANSWER: If you volunteer to realign to the MCOE, and later decline a specific written job offer,
you will remain (corrected 18 Sep 08) in your permanent position unless otherwise placed, until
the position becomes excess. Then, you will be subject to RIF procedures. You are not
eligible for early PPP registration. If eligible for severance pay, you are a mandatory PPP
registrant in the commuting area when a RIF notice is issued.

                    Reference Volunteer Process Q&As on Pages 1 – 3

53. QUESTION: When can I register in the Reemployment Priority List (RPL)?

ANSWER: RPL eligibility is limited to employees who are being separated from career or
career-conditional appointments by RIF.

54. QUESTION: What is the difference between the Priority Placement Program (PPP)
and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)?

ANSWER: The primary difference is that PPP is a Department of Defense placement program
for DoD vacancies within a set geographic area which may be outside of your current

commuting area. ICTAP is a priority consideration program for other Federal vacancies (non
DOD) within your current commuting area. The PPP features centralized automated
registration and referral systems for DoD positions; the ICTAP requires employees to apply for
individual job vacancies in order to receive consideration. (Feb 06)

55. QUESTION: Will there be an offer for early retirement authority and a buy out? What
will be the time frames for those offers?

ANSWER: Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA) and/or Voluntary Separation Incentive
Pay (VSIP) may be offered at the discretion of management. Currently, there is no plan to offer
Pre BRAC VSIP due to budgetary constraints.

56. QUESTION: A VERA window was recently opened to Garrison employees. There is a
rumors that a RIF will occur. Rumor has it organizations have identified military and
civilian positions that will be eliminated. Is this rumor true?

ANSWER: Most Reduction in Force (RIF) actions are the result of organizational restructuring
or reorganization due to lack of work, shortage of funds, insufficient personnel ceiling, or the
exercise of certain reemployment/restoration rights. Each agency has the right to decide what
positions are abolished, whether a RIF is necessary, and when the RIF will take place. The
abolishment of a position does not always require the use of RIF procedures. Every effort to
avoid a RIF will be employed to include reassigning an employee to a vacant position at the
same grade or pay. The vacant position may be in the same or in a different classification
series, line of work, and/or geographic location.

57. QUESTION: Can a non USAARMC employee who wishes to relocate to Benning
swap jobs with a USARMC employee?

ANSWER: Job swapping is a viable option. This action requires coordination between losing
and gaining organizations. In most cases, both employees would need to meet the
qualifications requirements of the job to which they are being assigned.

58. QUESTION: Will there be an offer of non-competitive employment for DA civilians
who will be displaced because of BRAC?

ANSWER: Experience requirements may be modified or waived for noncompetitive actions
such as reassignments and changes to lower grade. The decision to modify or waive
qualifications remains with the supervisor, while the determination of closely related
experience becomes a joint effort between the manager and Human Resources Specialists
involved in the job analysis process. This provision does not authorize modification of minimum
education, licensure, or certification requirements.

                                        Section IV


59. QUESTION: My child has special needs. Are the schools in GA prepared to handle

ANSWER: Public schools both on post and in the civilian community have programs for
students with special learning needs. As each case is different, the best advice is to talk to the
school directly in the area you think you might want to establish as your residence. If
establishing your residence will be based on the school, we advise you try the websites below
for county schools you are interested in. Many of the websites have links for Special
Education or needs, or provide contact information for a representative from the school to
discuss the needs of your child.

Active Duty families can contact Army Community Service Exceptional Family Member
Program (EFMP) coordinator, 706-544-CARE (2273).

The following are the web sites for the school districts closest to Fort Benning:

Public Schools:
Chattahooche County School District -

Harris County School District -

Lee County -

Marion County School System -

Muscogee County -

Phenix City School District -

Private Schools:
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School PK-8 -

Pacelli High School 9-12 -

St. Anne K-8 -

Glennwood School -

60. QUESTION: How can I compare school districts nationally, not just within any
given state? How can I compare the schools in GA to schools in other states?

ANSWER: It is difficult to find a source that rates and compares school districts nation-wide.
Each state uses its own state-wide test system. Parents are encouraged to use free sites such
 “School Matters” -,
“School Quest” -,
“Great Schools” -
  (Jan 08)

61. QUESTION: Will Fort Benning representatives come to talk to us about the area and

ANSWER: Yes, Fort Benning representatives are planning to host a town hall visit to Fort
Knox in 2008.

62. QUESTION: The military has in place a sponsorship program when soldiers relocate
from one assignment to another; since many civilians have not ever lived anywhere
else, will something like that be implemented for the civilians?

ANSWER: The Army Community Services Relocation Readiness program provides services
necessary to support Department of Army personnel and their families as they relocate. For
additional information, visit, (Feb 06)

63. QUESTION: Will the government buy our houses if we can't sell them?

ANSWER: The Defense National Relocation Program (DNRP) is an option. More information
about this program is available on the HRC BRAC Intranet site at or at the DNRP site at

The Guaranteed Home Sale Service (GHS) is a sub program of DNRP that helps you get fair
market value for your home. In addition, GHS can even provide up to 75% of the assessed
value of your home for an interest-free equity advance to enable you to purchase a residence
at your new duty station.

For more information on GHS, see the DNRP Handbook, dated June 2007, section 7,
Guaranteed Home Sale Service”, page 9, at: DNRP will
be further discussed at an upcoming town hall meeting. (Jan 08)

64. QUESTION: Do the civilians agreeing to go to Knox incur any obligation to the
government since the government is paying for the move?

ANSWER: Yes. In accordance with the JTR Vol II, Chap 5, Part L and the Federal Travel
Regulations (FTR Chap 302, para 2.13) when they sign the transportation agreement, they will
incur a one-year obligation to the federal government. If there were any relocation/retention
bonuses given that would be an additional but concurrent obligation that may or may not last
longer then one year. (Feb 07)

65. QUESTION: Which salary table is used at Fort Benning?

ANSWER: Fort Benning pay is set using the “Rest of the United States” table found at: Employees may also benefit from the use of the
cost of living calculator at . This tool allows you to compare two
cities side-by-side in categories, such as taxes, housing, food, and other costs. Using the
calculator, you can also enter your salary and the built-in Salary Calculator will give you an
accurate representation of the salary, which will allow you to maintain your same standard of
living. (Mar 08)

66. QUESTION: Is it true that personnel who have not retired and relocate to GA will
have their retirement pay cut in half?

ANSWER: No. Your retirement is directly related to your years of service for which you have
made retirement contributions and your highest 3 years average salary. It is not dependant on
the geographic location of the position. (Feb 06)

67. QUESTION: I receive a portion of my former spouse's retirement. Will it fall under
the GA state income tax exemption?

ANSWER: If the retirement from your former spouses comes from a federal/military annuity,
the portion you receive counts as part of your $41,000 limit for state tax exemption. (Jan 08)

68. QUESTION: Do the civilian hospitals in the Fort Benning area accept TRICARE?

ANSWER: Yes, local hospitals accept TRICARE. Martin Army Community Hospital at Fort
Benning also has the capacity to enroll military retirees and their dependents. Visit their
website at: (Mar 08)

69. QUESTION: If my current health plan is not offered in GA, will I be allowed to
change health plans at the time of the move or will I have to wait until the next Open

ANSWER: You may choose to make the change during an open season prior to the move or
you may wait until you PCS to Fort Benning and make the change at that time. (Jul 06)

70. QUESTION: I am concerned about my health benefits. If I get to Fort Knox and find
that my current plan is not offered, can I change insurance plans? Do I have to wait
until open season?

ANSWER: Employees have the option of changing carriers upon a PCS “out of cycle” or they
can wait until the next open season. (Jan 08)

71. QUESTION: I have an Exceptional Family Member. Is there one place I can go to
find out what services are available and where?

ANSWER: The EFMP Office at Fort Benning will be happy to assist. Contact them at 706-
544-CARE (2273). (Feb 08)


Shared By: