MEC Executive Committee Meeting Minutes 1
Present: Cheri Canon, MD, Chair, Nathaniel Robin, MD, Vice-Chair, Hughes Evans, MD, PhD, Laura Kezar, MD, Craig Hoesley, MD,
Tom Houston, MD, MPH, Johnita Dobbs, MA Ed, MEC Manager Tuscaloosa: Rony Najjar, MD
Huntsville: Lanita Carter, PhD, Parekha Yedla, MD
Time: 4:00 pm
Agenda Items Discussion Action Items Target Date
1. Rural Medical Scholars Program The committee reviewed the RMSP data which will be
(RMSP) data review presented by Dr. John Wheat at the January 15, 2008
MEC meeting. Although these students’ board scores are
significantly lower, they do seem to be achieving their
goal of attracting more students to serve in a primary care
role in rural Alabama.
2. New Integrated Medical Sciences The new IMS Sc:
(IMS) Subcommittee members Lisa Willett, MD
Hussein Abdul-Latif, MD
Laura Cotlin, PhD
Cleon Rogers, MS-3
Nemil Shah, MS-2
3. IMS Subcommittee update Dr. Hoesley stated that there have been 7 new proposals
submitted for a total of approximately 30. . The
remaining new proposals will be reviewed by two
members from the IMS Sc. After the proposals have been
reviewed by the IMS Sc, they will be forwarded to Drs.
Evans and Berkow for final approval and signatures.
Then, forwarded to Linda McCullough and Lu Braswell in
Medical Student Services to be published in the catalog.
There will be a combined meeting of the Clerkship
4. Module lengths Directors, IMS and Clinical Curriculum Subcommittees
on Thursday, 12/20 at noon in VH room 302.
MEC Executive Committee Meeting Minutes 2
Dr. Robin stated that the module directors will discuss the
overall assessment issues at the next module directors
Dr. Kezar stated that there are six second year students on
4. Update on Pathology students probation at various levels. Five are below 70 in
Microbiology. The scores are representative of past
scores. None of the students wanted a withdrawal/fail.
The committee discussed going to P/F for the first 6-12
5. Pass/Fail weeks of medical school. The discussions will continue
regarding this issue as well as clerkship lengths.
The next MEC Executive Committee meeting will be held
6. Adjournment on Tuesday, 2/12/08 at 4:00 pm in VH room 301.