Trowbridge Community Area Future (TCAF) is the Community Partnership whose aim is to improve the
quality of life and wellbeing of all people in the Trowbridge Community Area
TROWBRIDGE COMMUNITY AREA FUTURE
Administered from Trowbridge Town Council Offices, 10/12 Fore Street, Trowbridge, Wiltshire BA14 8HA
Telephone 01225 765072 or 01225 777940 email email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
TROWBRIDGE NEIGHBOURHOODS PARTNERSHIP
Present: - Derek Adams CERA/TCAF Lance Allan TTC
Charles Archibald BGRA Rollie Cleere LTARA/TTC
Margaret Elliott LPRA John Ellis CERA
Paul Fife SelwoodHS Phil Gray CERA
David Halik DADRA/TTC Graham Hedley WWDC/TTC
David Holdsworth WiltsColl John Knight TTC
Maryrose Mantle TTC Fran Markotic NARA
Di Marshall Resident Sgt.Steve McGlynn WiltsPolice
Maggi McKerron WWCAB Helen Osborn WWDC/TTC
Jeff Osborn WCC/WWDC/TTC Doug Ross TCAF
Apologies had been received from John Alford, Bob Brice, James McDonald and Betty
Derek welcomed all to the meeting especially the new members from the recently formed
Dursley and Drynham Area Residents Association.
3. Notes of the meeting held on Monday 19th Mat 2008.
The notes of the meeting were approved as a correct record. There were no matters
arising not on the Agenda.
4. Review of the work of the Partnership and Partners.
1. Parish Stewards Work: - There was some concern with the standard of the Parish
Steward’s work in June. Charles Archibald expressed his and local residents concern
with the access path at Boundary Walk which is very overgrown with amongst other
things 6 feet high nettles. Lance Allan reported that although this is not officially a
footpath it is recognised by TTC as a key access route and should be properly
maintained. Work is scheduled for Boundary Walk in the 3rd week of August 2008. The
Parish Steward should next be working in the Trowbridge Area at the beginning of
2. Dropped kerbs: - The long outstanding dropped kerbs on the Seymour Estate have
now been completed. Lance Allan provided a colourful and detailed schedule of
requested dropped kerbs showing Street/Location; Request date; Scheme description
where being incorporated with other work: Town/Parish support or not and space for
comments. The requests highlighted in yellow have been assessed and are to be
progressed in 2008/2009 and all have been supported by TTC. Those highlighted in
orange have been assessed and all have support from TTC. Decisions are awaited on
these. Those not highlighted are still awaiting assessment. In the comments column
TTC has on some suggested that they could be funded by the developer as part of a S
106 agreement. There are a number of schemes still listed but which have been
completed and some which are inappropriate; these should be removed to make the list
more meaningful. TTC has included match funding of £5,000 for dropped kerbs in its
2008/2009. WCC has requested that the West Wiltshire Accessibility Group is involved
in prioritising dropped kerb schemes and Doug Ross will arrange for the Group’s
representative to come to the next meeting. Helen Osborn suggested that another
dropped kerb was required on Bradford Road near its junction with Brook Road. An
issue which can relate to dropped kerbs is in appropriate parking which can block
dropped kerb crossings and/or prevent easy views up and down roads. The positioning
of yellow lines is to be reviewed at the end of August and details of problem areas
should be identified.
3. Problems with Waste Collections and/or Mini recycling depots: - The Seymour
Road Mini recycling depot now can take cardboard and plastic bottles.
4. Neighbourhood Policing and Tasking Groups: - Sgt Steve McGlynn
introduced himself as having 5 years’ experience as a Beat Manager and welcomed the
opportunity to develop the 5 teams now under his control. The previously established
priority issues were now out of date and Tasking Group meetings are now needed
again to establish and prioritise the current issues and concerns in the 5 areas.
In Longfield he is aware of the ongoing Antisocial Behaviour issues particularly
involving the Community Centre and at Lamb Ale Green. He stated that additional foot
patrols have been arranged for the area.
In College and Newtown area John Ellis reported that there is an ongoing problem with
Mini Motors with one particular family, which Sgt McGlynn stated could be solved by
proceeding to stage2 under S 59 which enables the Police to seize the vehicle. In the
Home Zone area pedestrians have priority but are not being priority in the same way
that cyclists are not being stopped from cycling in the pedestrianised area of Fore
Street in the Town Centre. There are also graffiti problems.
In the Town Centre the DPPO has a downside in the displacement of the public drinking
to other areas. There is presently a spate of purse thefts. The Multi storey carpark is a
problem at night particularly in the summer and a solution could be to close it at night.
In the John of Gaunt area there is ongoing antisocial behaviour with vulnerable people
being picked on.
In August there will be another Football Tournament and consideration is being given to
the formation of a league.
The Bluez n’ Zuzs monthly events continue to be popular with posters also printed in
Polish to encourage Polish youngsters to join in. Paul Fife stated that Selwood Housing
Society has experienced a drop in antisocial behaviour and attributes this to these
events which the Society supports financially. All agreed that these are very positive
events with input from the District and Town Councils as well as the Police and the
5. Brief reports from the Neighbourhood Groups.
LPRA: - Margaret Elliott stated that there is a drugs problem in Stallards Park with crack
and cannabis being sold at night to some of the young people in the Park. She asked that
the Police address this issue.
BGRA: - Charles Archibald reported that two signs had been erected to prohibit horse
riding along the pathway between the football ground and Boundary Walk houses. They are
fairly large and one resident has objected very strongly wanting the one close to his house
removed. This has been discussed and it is intended to move and lower the signs to make
them less intrusive. Horse riders ignoring the signs will be prosecuted. Charles reported
that their second open meeting had been attended by 32 people compared with the first
meeting’s attendance of 45, still a very good turnout.
CERA: -John Ellis stated that the goalpost in the playarea is being well used. The fencing in
the Grove recreation area has now completed to a high standard. This is designated as a
no drinking area
NARA: - Fran Markotic reported that a car boot sale is to be held at the end of June to raise
money for prizes for the Front Gardens Fiesta. Previous problems with domestic rubbish
from the former Roses Bakery premises have been overcome. A polite parking campaign is
being run to try to get people to leave at least 2 ft between cars.
DADRA: - David Halik reported that the Dursley Road, Drynham Road, Holbrook Lane and
Wiltshire Drive are used as racing circuits and that some form of traffic calming is required.
At certain points parked vehicles make it difficult for buses to get round.
LTARA: - Rollie Cleere reported that summer holiday activities are in full swing with football
courses for 7 to 10 year olds on Mondays and for 11 to 15 year olds on Tuesdays, which
are well attended. There is a Fun Day for the 5 to 14 year olds on Thursday 7th August; a
Family Day on Saturday 17th August and the TARA Fun Day on Saturday 23rd August. The
goalpost received from CERA is in and is being well used. More support from the other
Housing Societies is required.
TNP: - Derek reported that the Partnership had had a stand at the Spotlight on Trowbridge
Event in which all the TARAs & RAs except SGTARA had participated. He thanked TTC for
the event and particularly Maryrose for sorting out their position problem. The Veterans Day
was acknowledged as a great success.
STARA: There is still work outstanding on lighting on the Seymour Estate. The work has
been booked with Balfour Beattie the current contractor which is behind with its work
schedule and a firm dates cannot be obtained. Doug Ross is to write to Allan Creedy.
Hilperton TARA: - Paul Fife reported that a new TARA is being set up in Hilperton again
with some financial support from Selwood Housing Society.
6. Transforming Trowbridge.
It was reported that: -
The Modus Waterside Development will now start with the Library and Cafe
development early in 2009 for opening in 2009. He had had an exciting meeting and
he is convinced that the new library will be a “State of the Art” Library with first class
facilities. The Leisure development will incorporate a Vue Cinema 8 Screen
Multiplex Cinema; a Bowlplex 20 lane 10 Pin Bowling facility; a 60 bed Premier
Travel Inn Hotel; a 15,000sq.ft.Leisure unit; and several restaurants ranging from
1,500 sq.ft. to 8,000sq.ft. Building will commence in 2009 and all will open to the
public prior to Christmas 2010.
Parkridge Holdings has commenced work on their mixed development of 75,000
sq.ft. of retail space; 70 residential units; 13,000 sq.ft. of offices and 240 parking
spaces. The development is scheduled to open in spring 2009.
Parkridge Holdings is developing a detailed Planning Application for the Peter Black
site having received permission for Outline Planning application which included a
Waitrose Supermarket; a 60 bed hotel and a mix of one and two bed apartments
with ground floor restaurants.
Barton Finch is finalising its plans for a development on the former Usher’s Bottling
Plant site incorporating a Sainsbury Supermarket; 119 new homes and flats; cafes
and restaurants and 236 parking spaces.
Thyian Developments has gone into liquidation and thus the former Tesco site and
the Castle Shopping Centre and Market are up for sale. WWDC is still interested in
a compulsory purchase of the former Tesco site.
WWDC is having the Multi Storey Car Park refurbished and upgraded with improved
lighting and CCTV cameras.
An announcement is expected from Wiltshire College re the prospective move to
part of the Bowyers site. There is a need to ensure that the Arc Theatre transfers to
a similar or larger site and additional funding may be needed to achieve this. It was
reported that Ian Gallin has been very supportive. The College site will subsequently
The River Biss Public Realm Design Guide Draft is out for consultation. The final
version will become Supplementary Planning Guidance which developers of sites
along the Biss will have to follow. There is a section on the Biss Meadow Country
Park which supports the outline proposals which have come forward from James
McDonald and Rollie Cleere of the LTARA. An initial meeting with most of the
interested parties is being arranged.
7. Skate Park at Stallards Park.
The Stallards Skate Park is complete except for some drainage work and access. It is
already being very well used. It was reported that there is late night usage of the facility and
some excessive noise in the park.
8. Draft Constitution.
It was agreed to carry consideration forward to the next meeting. Jeff Osborn stated that it
seemed to be an appropriate constitution for this partnership.
9. Any other business.
Paul Fife reported that SGTARA has written to TTC and Maryrose to thank them for
the excellent Spotlight and Veterans Day Events. All agreed that these were
The Carnival Parade will take place on Saturday 6th September 2008 and
Community Involvement Workshops are being held with most Neighbourhood
Groups and at Court Mills. For full details contact Maryrose Mantle at TTC on
10. Dates of meetings in 2008/2009.
Mondays 22nd September and 24th November 2008 and 19th January and 23rd March 2009.