IMMIGRATION IMMIGRATION VISA VALIDATION To validate your student by jennyyingdi




To validate your student visa, you must enter Hong Kong with a passport stamp showing student status.
In most cases, you can then travel in and out of Hong Kong within the validity period of your student visa.

If you have any questions, please check with the Immigration Department before leaving Hong Kong. Do

not re-enter Hong Kong as a tourist or visitor, as this will invalidate your student visa.


If your student visa expires before the end of the designated study period, you must apply for an

extension at the Hong Kong Immigration Department one month prior to the expiry date. Enquiries

related to student visa extension can be directed to the enquiry counter at the Admissions, Registration

and Records Office. If your visa expires after your study period, and you wish to remain temporarily as a

tourist, you must leave Hong Kong and re-enter as a visitor.


Your student visa is specific to your enrolment at HKUST. If you decide to transfer to another institution in

Hong Kong, you will have to apply for a new student visa.


On arrival in Hong Kong, you are required to declare to Customs Officers the amount of dutiable goods

you possess in excess of the duty-free concessions. In general, dutiable goods include liquor, tobacco,

cigarette and cigar products. You should be aware of the customs policy regarding the list of dutiable

goods and the duty-free concessions that individuals are eligible for.

Failure to declare or false declarations are against the law and may lead to prosecution.


All adults entering Hong Kong for more than 180 days must apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID)

within 30 days upon arrival. Students under 18 should apply for the Juvenile HKID and convert to the

adult HKID upon turning 18. Hong Kong Law requires that you carry your ID card at all times.

You must apply for an identity card in person at the Registration of Persons Office at the Hong Kong

Immigration Department. To save time, you may use the online appointment booking system. Identity

cards for new arrivals are issued free of charge. Bring your passport, travel document(s) and admission

letter issued by the University to support your application.


The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (commonly known as

Hong Kong) is home to over 7 million people. Literally translated as ‘fragrant harbour’, its name traces to

the 18th century when fragrant wood products and incense were traded. Located on the southeastern

coast of China and bordering Guangdong Province in the North, it is one of the most densely populated

cities in the world today.

Most of Hong Kong’s ethnic Chinese residents speak the Cantonese dialect. English is widely used, as

Hong Kong was a British Colony from 1842 – 1997. The use of Mandarin (or, more properly, “Putonghua”)

has also been increasing since the territory returned to Chinese sovereignty in 1997.

Hong Kong may be famous for its urban landscape, but almost ¾ of the land is rural. Due to its compact

size, one can almost plunge into the breathtaking natural landscapes afforded in our country and marine

parks and return to the bustling city within minutes! Refer to the links on the side to find out more!


Hong Kong is a comfortable city to live in, with a subtropical climate and distinct seasons. The summer

months from June to September are hot and humid (~25-32°C/77-90°F) while winter from December to

February is cool and dry (~10- 17°C/50-63°F). The autumn and spring seasons receive more temperate

weather. Typhoons may also occur between May and November.

Light, loose clothing is recommended for the hot summer months. However, a windbreaker or cardigan

will come in handy as most indoor areas have air-conditioning set on ‘high’. You should also note that

HKUST facilities, including dormitories and lecture areas are not centrally heated.


People in Hong Kong tend to dress rather conservatively, paying careful attention to tidy,

appropriate clothing. Casual wear is sufficient for regular academic activities at HKUST. However, certain

occasions such as class presentations, company visits, interviews and formal meetings may require

formal wear.


Hong Kong's government-run water supply exceeds World Health Organization standards. Nevertheless,

tap water should nevertheless be boiled prior to consumption.


The electrical standard in Hong Kong is 220V/50Hz AC. Electronic appliances on 100/110V will not work

unless you have a step-up transformer.

Most electric outlets accommodate three-pin square plugs (British Standard BS1363). You can easily

purchase inexpensive adaptors and converters for your equipment in electronic shops and supermarkets

in Hong Kong.



HKUST's campus is located on the eastern coast of

Kowloon, overlooking the Clear Water Bay peninsula. The

following bus and minibus services are available for going to

and from campus. You can also refer to the MTR System

Map for more information.

Public Bus and Minibus Services To/From HKUST

To / From                                           Bus / Minibus Service

Choi Hung                                           Green Minibus 1S (Overnight Service)

Choi Hung MTR Station                               KMB Bus 91 or 91M

                                                    Green Minibus 11 or 11S

Diamond Hill MTR Station (Plaza Hollywood) KMB Bus 91 or 91M
Hang Hau MTR Station (East Point City)              KMB Bus 91M

                                                    Green Minibus 11, 11M or 11S

Po Lam MTR Station (Metro City)                     KMB 91M

                                                    Green Minibus 12

Ngau Tau Kok MTR Station                            Green Minibus 104

Tiu Keng Leng MTR Station (Metro Town)              New World First Bus 792M

Sai Kung Town Center                                New World First Bus 792M

                                                    Green Minibus 12

                                                    Green Minibus 1S (Overnight Service)


For ease of travel, we recommend that you obtain an Octopus Card. This convenient electronic

stored-value card can be used almost like cash and is accepted on most forms of public transport,

convenience stores, and fast food restaurants. Card values can be ‘topped-up’ at MTR Customer Service

Counters, convenience stores, or any ‘Add Value Machines’ located at MTR stations. On campus,

add-value service is available at the LG7 Student Canteen, 1/F Coffee Shop, LG1 Grab & Go, and Park

n’ Shop.

Full time students* aged 12 to 25 are eligible for MTR concession fares of up to 50% off normal fares by

applying for an “Octopus Card with Student Status”. To apply:

    1.   Obtain an application form from the Global Student Office.

    2.   The completed form should be submitted in person with presentation of your valid HKUST

         Student ID card to Student Affairs Office for verification and endorsement.

    3.   The endorsed application form should be returned to any MTR Customer Service Center

         (except stations on Airport Express, East Rail, West Rail, Ma On Shan and Light Rail lines).

    4.   The application fee of HKD$90 is applicable for new Personalized Octopus Cards with “Student

         Status”. A rebate of HKD$20 will be offered to first time applicants in the form of usable value

         encoded on the card.

    5.   Your Personalized Octopus Card will be available for collection at the Student Travel Scheme

         Office at the Admiralty MTR Station anytime from 21 days of the submission date. Please refer

         to the details on the receipt.

(*) Full time students refer to those studying for more than 30 weeks in the academic year with no less than 20

   hours of academic instruction per week.




Rooms in the Undergraduate Halls are furnished with desks, chairs, bookshelves, wardrobes and beds.

Mattresses are usually used but in good condition. If you wish to purchase a new mattress, please

contact the Hall office located at the main entrance of the hall upon arrival.

Pillows and bedding such as bed sheets, blankets and bed covers are not provided. Subject to availability,

these items may be provided on short-term loan at $40/day. Otherwise, you can purchase bedding items

at shopping malls such as East Point City Plaza (Hang Hau MTR Station), Metro City Plaza (Po Lam

MTR Station), both of which are close to campus.


You can easily obtain internet connectivity in your room through the University ResNet using a LAN cable

or wireless connection.


Each room is furnished with air-conditioners; note that usage is separately charged.


Most Undergraduate Halls are designed for double occupancy, with some for triple occupancy. Your

room and roommate will be randomly assigned. Common facilities include showers, toilets, public

telephones, pantries, microwave ovens, smart-card operated washing machines, dryers, and common

rooms with television sets.


Upon arrival at HKUST, check-in at the Hall Office located at your assigned Student Hall. Hall offices are

opened 24 hours. To check-in, present your admission letter and passport to the staff on duty. You will

then complete a registration card, and a resident card. Two recent passport-sized photographs are

required for check-in.

You must visit the Student Housing Office (G/F, UG Hall II) within two working days to complete a hall

acceptance form and collect the Debit Note during office hours (Mon-Thu 0845-1300, 1400-1730; Fri

0845-1300, 1400-1745). Payment should be made during the first week of Spring Semester.


Please visit the SHO during office hours to and the amount of hall charges payable. All hall charges are

paid in advance and do not include meals. Payment should be made at Hang Seng Bank on campus by

cash or check in Hong Kong dollars. Cash or travelers’ check in some major currencies (e.g. Euro, USD,

GBP) are also accepted. Payment by credit card, however, is not accepted.


Halls are under the charge of the Residence Master, whose main role is to provide intellectual and

pastoral guidance, and to organize activities that will facilitate the learning process of residents. Each

Residence Master is assisted by a number of postgraduate Hall Tutors. There is also a residential Hall

Manager who takes care of residents’ needs and provides administrative support to the Residence

Master in matters concerning hall life.

In addition, there is a ‘House System’ in place to promote campus life. Houses (comprising of residents of

an Undergraduate Hall) serve as basic social units for student activities. Under the guidance of

Residence Master and Tutors, interhouse sports and cultural competitions and events are organized

throughout the year. You are encouraged to participate in these activities, whether as an organizer,

participant, or just to cheer on your housemates!




All registered HKUST students are entitled to use the primary healthcare service available at the Medical

Clinic. This facility provides free outpatient service to full-time students. However, it is not equipped to

handle emergency situations and is only open during normal office hours.

Appointments are not required for non-emergency medical services at the Medical Clinic. In addition,

specialist services in Allergy, Dermatology, ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat), Internal Medicine, Obstetrics

and Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Respiratory Medicine, Surgery and Physiotherapy are also available,

but subject to charge. Reference from a General Practitioner and prior appointments are required for

specialist services.


Dental service is available at a fee of $70 per 20 minutes and an oral examination fee of $10. Prior

appointments are required and should be made in person. When making an appointment, a

nonrefundable and non-transferable deposit ($10 for oral treatment and $70 for other dental treatments)

is required.

Remember to bring your Student ID card when visiting the Medical or Dental Clinic.


Despite the fact that non-local students may use the low-cost public hospital services in Hong Kong, as

well as the free general consultation services provided by the campus clinic, there are nevertheless

inadequacies that call for the need of medical insurance coverage. As such, the University requires that

all non-local students acquire medical insurance coverage.


When you participate in activities outside of Hong Kong (whether they are organized by the University or

otherwise), you should purchase suitable and adequate travel insurance, since most medical insurance

policies do not provide travel coverage.


There are no vaccination requirements for students coming into Hong Kong. However, we recommend

that you always observe good personal and food hygiene and adopt anti-mosquito measures to prevent

infectious diseases.

Hong Kong residents participate in an immunization program that is recommended by the Hong Kong

Department of Health. Therefore, they are well protected against most preventable diseases that are

common in the region. As a non-local student, you are encouraged to review your immunization record,

and consult your physician should you have any concerns.

The following Program of Immunization for Hong Kong Residents is listed for your reference.

           Age           Recommended Immunization

           Newborn       B.C.G. Vaccine, Polio Type 1, Hepatitis B Vaccine (first dose)

           1 month       Hepatitis B Vaccine (second dose)

           2-4           DPT Vaccine (first dose), Polio Trivalent (first dose)


           3-5           DPT Vaccine (second dose)


           4-6           DPT Vaccine (third dose), Polio Trivalent (second dose)


           6 months      Hepatitis B Vaccine (third dose)

           1 year        MMR Vaccine (first dose)

           1.5 years     DPT Vaccine (booster dose)

           Primary 1     DT Vaccine (booster dose), Polio Trivalent (booster dose), MMR

                         Vaccine (second dose)

           Primary 6     DT Vaccine (booster dose), Polio Trivalent (booster dose)


To top