HANS RAJ MODEL SCHOOL, PUNJABI BAGH
Practice Assignment – I (CLASS V) 2011-12
Name ___________________ Section ______ Date _________
I Fill in the blanks with appropriate common, proper and collective
nouns with the help of aid box given:
hospital, plays, Allahabad, crew, July, bouquet, sea,
pack, Hans Raj Model School, pod, crowd, bell,
board, tree, Alice in Wonderland, class, crew, Sunday
1. My sister Neeta is a doctor and works in a ________. (common)
2. The river flows from the mountains to the _____________. ( )
3. When the _______ rings the children rush to their ________. ( )
4. Ruhi swam with a ________ of dolphins. ( )
5. Thank you for the beautiful ________________ of flowers. ( )
6. The Ganges meets the Yamuna at ___________________. ( )
7. Riddhi and Siddhi study in ________________________. ( )
8. The victorious _______________ sailed into the harbour. ( )
9. I have read the book ___________________________ many times. ( )
10. Ajay went to the theatre to see Harry Potter but came away because of
_____________. ( )
11. The gulmohar ___________ looks beautiful in the month of ___________. ( )
12. The building collapsed like a ____________ of cards. ( )
13. Mr. Rohit Sharma became the president of ___________ of directors. ( )
14. My will celebrate my birthday on _________________. ( )
15. William Shakespeare wrote famous ________________. ( )
Abstract nouns are often formed from other parts of speech by adding suffixes
-ment, -ness, -tion, -sion, -al, -ure, -dom, and –cy
Form abstract nouns from verbs
deny denial confuse ________
excite ________________ fail ________
refuse ________________ free ________
disappoint ________________ imagine ________
Form abstract nouns from adjectives
proud pride poor ________
good ________________ decent ________
happy ________________ long ________
brave ________________ honest ________
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate abstract nouns from the words given:
1. The ______________________ between Seema and Ritu was based on trust. (friend )
2. __________________ is the best medicine. ( laugh )
3. We must remove _______________ from our country. (poor)
4. The collision of an asteroid with the earth can lead to _________________ of our
5. Hitler was known for his ____________________. (cruel)
6. King Solomon was known for his __________________. (wise)
7. In his ________________, he had travelled to various countries. (Young)
8. Navya does her work with _____________ and ____________.
( sincere, dedicate)
HANS RAJ MODEL SCHOOL,PUNJABI BAGH, DELHI
PRACTICE ASSIGNMENT 2 ENGLISH
WRITING SKILLS - PARAGRAPH WRITING
A paragraph is a short piece of writing consisting of a number of sentences dealing with one
topic. It contains a central idea.
You can write a successful paragraph by starting off with a plan. The key to doing a
successful paragraph is to break down the writing into short, simple steps.
STEP 1 :
Write down the subject of your paragraph. To express your subject, write only a word or
phrase. Who or what are you writing about? Below it writes the important points you can
think of that are directly related to the topic.
STEP 2 :
Begin by brainstorming. Brainstorming involves coming up with ideas using words or
STEP 3: Using the points you thought of in Step 1, in the sequence/order you decided in
Step 2, write the paragraphs.
STEP 4: After completing, read your paragraph to check for any spelling or grammatical
The main idea is expressed through three sections of a paragraph:
1. Beginning - Introduce your idea.
2. Middle - Explain your idea.
3. End - Make your point again, transition to next paragraph.
Points to remember
Give a suitable heading to your passage.
Word limit: 100 – 120 words.
Think about the topic carefully.
Use appropriate adjectives, comparisons, to bring about unique features of what
you are describing.
Make the piece interesting so that the reader is compelled to read.