Pool Shock Treatments. Which One Not To Use!
Did you know? It is best to occasionally use a chlorine-free pool shock such as monopersulfate to
remove all the chloramines and build-up of contaminants in the pool water. Some of the chloramines,
including the organic type are not always destroyed completely by chlorine shock treatment.
What type of shock treatment should you use? There are five types of shock or oxidizing agents used
to chlorinated pools and spas. The type of pool shock that you choose to use is determined by how
you choose to apply it into the water and will it case harm to the interior pool finish , such as concrete,
fiberglass, vinyl liner, etc.
Potassium Monopersulfate (Oxygen based treatments) are non-chlorine oxidizers. Oxygen shock
treatment is very good at removing excess contaminants and restoring the fighting power of chlorine
sanitizers. Oxygen shock is also commonly called "safety shock" because pool bathers may safely
return into the water about 15 minutes after treatment. There are no side effects on the pool water.
Sodium Di-Chlor [Di Chlor] is a granular form of stabilized chlorine that is 100% soluble. Di-Chlor may
be used on all pool finishes without harm. It does not upset the pH balance of the water , cause
foaming or require pre-dissolving. Because Di-chlor contains chlorine stabilizer (Cyanuric acid ) it will
cause the stabilizer to build-up to an un-safe level. The pool will then have to be drained and refilled
with fresh water when this occurs.
Lithium shock has the same properties as Di-chlor with one exception, it is not stabilized and
therefore will not cause a high cyanuric acid level.
Sodium Hypochlorite is liquid and a strong bleach concentration. It is fast acting after addition to the
water. It has an approximate 90-day shelf-life.
Calcium Hypochlorite [Cal-Hypo] is the most widely used and the strongest form of chlorine shock
treatment. It is available in concentrations of : 47%, 65%, 68%, 73% or 78% available chlorine. This
type may be used on all pool finishes, but it must be pre-dissolved before adding it into the water or it
may bleach the color from a vinyl liner pool. It contains calcium that may cause temporary foaming or
clouding. Cal-Hypo 47% available chlorine is a low-grade shock being sold primarily in many mass
merchant stores. This product in our opinion should not be able to be labeled "Pool Shock". We
consider the recommended dosage is too weak to achieve a true chlorine shock level of 5 to 10ppm
in the water. It will require more of this product achieve the desired result. These blended products
use special formula combinations and are being sold using various trade names. They all contain
some chlorine blended with other chemicals like clarifiers. The sale of this product is not limited to just
mass merchant stores.
The chemical manufacturers and suppliers embrace this blended product so strongly, that some have
decided to discontinue stronger forms completely. Their reasoning has some merit. This is a safer
class of oxidizer, so that increases handling safety , which in turn requires less governmental
regulation, and increases their profits by helping to reduce many facets of the manufacturers
overhead and transportation costs. That is all well and good, but pound for pound, the consumer will
still have to pay a lot more to achieve the same result. We discourage the use of this type of product;
not because it's a bad product , but only that it costs so much to effectively treat your pool. In many
cases it costs the same or more than a full strength chlorine treatments ! You have a choice to spend
money more wisely.
As a CPO, Certified Pool Operator, with over 22 years experience working in the field of pool and spa
care, we have helped thousands of pool owners to resolve their water care issues and how to choose
the right type of pool shock treatment for their pool and how to add it to the water. To know more
about pool shock we have the answers you need to do it right everytime. For more pool care secrets
supply chain management