2012-2013 Life in Perspective Application
Please be sure all information is complete and clearly legible. Applications must be postmarked
by July 16.
High School (name and location):
Grade in 2012-13 school year (junior, senior etc.):
Home mailing address:
Have you ever applied to LIP before? (circle one) YES NO
Would you prefer to meet in Walnut Creek or Oakland? (circle one)
Journalism experience: (List high school journalism classes, working on your school
newspaper, writing for other publications, illustrations for school paper, online/multimedia
Other extracurricular activities:
References: (List the name, phone number and e-mail of two adults (not your parents!) who we
can contact over the summer):
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. How did you hear about LIP?
2. Why do you want to be on the LIP Board?
3. What do you want to write about? List three story ideas you’d be interested in pursuing. Be
specific and detailed. Don’t just list politics, for instance. Tell us an angle you’d want to tackle.
4. List a few hobbies or interests.
5. On a separate page, write a personal column telling us about an experience that changed your
life. It doesn’t matter if your story is serious or funny, we’re just looking to learn more about you
and get a sense of your writing style. The limit is 500 to 700 words.
6. Attach 2 writing samples — preferably including some clips of published articles. Essays,
poems and school papers are also OK. If you’re a visual journalist, attach copies of your
illustrations or graphics.
Mail by July 16 to:
Attn: Ardua Harris
Bay Area News Group-East Bay
2640 Shadelands Drive
Walnut Creek CA 94598