Identify the following as a Pure Substance or a Mixture #18
Identify pure substances as an element or compound A: BW
Identify mixtures as homogeneous or heterogeneous N: Your Name
There should be two answers for each substance
Substance Pure Substance or Element, Compound,
Mixture Homogeneous, or
1. Sugar Water Mixture Homogeneous
2. Iron Filings
Pure Substance Element
3. Orange Juice
4. Chex Mix
5. Table Salt Pure Substance Compound
E.Q.: How is the periodic table organized? (Std. 7-5.4)
Directions: Write the answer for each question in a complete sentence. •Questions and
1. What are horizontal rows on the periodic table called?
Answers were to be
2. What are vertical columns on the periodic table called?
3. What is another name for a family on the periodic table? written in the Science
4. How are families numbered on the periodic table? composition book.
5. What do elements in the same family have in common?
6. How are elements on the periodic table arranged? •Students used notes
7. What does every square on the periodic table represent? to answer questions
8. What information is contained inside each square on the periodic table?
9. What two sections are separated by a zigzag line on the periodic table?
10. What major section of elements is located to the left of the zigzag line on the periodic table?
11. What major section of elements is located to the right side of the zigzag line on the periodic table?
12. What period is Calcium in on the periodic table?
13. What family is Calcium in on the periodic table?
14. Name another element on the periodic table that would be in the same family as Calcium.
15. What is the chemical symbol for Chlorine?
16. What is the atomic mass of Sodium?
17. What is the atomic number of Sulfur?
18. Which element has the chemical symbol I?
19. According to the periodic table, is Aluminum (Al) classified as a metal or a nonmetal?
20. According to the periodic table, is Oxygen (O) classified as a metal or a nonmetal?
Make a Key for the periodic table that shows the following information:
1. Color an entire period pink.
2. Color an entire family blue.
•Students were given a periodic
3. Color an atomic number orange.
4. Color an atomic mass green. table of elements worksheet to
5. Color a chemical symbol red. complete questions 12-20 and
6. Color a chemical name yellow. to make a key.
•Notes used to answer worksheet questions.
E.Q.: How is the periodic
The periodic table is organized into:
1. Periods – are horizontal rows on the periodic
2. Families – also called groups, are vertical
columns of elements on the periodic table;
they are usually numbered 1-18. Elements in
the same family have similar properties.
3. Metals are to the left of the zigzag line.
Ex: Sodium (Na), Calcium (Ca), Iron (Fe), and
The majority of elements are metals.
4. Nonmetals are to the right of the zigzag line.
Ex: Chlorine (Cl), Oxygen (O), Sulfur (S), and
• Every periodic table will have a square
for each element with the atomic
number, atomic mass, element name, and
the element symbol.
• The elements on the periodic table are
arranged numerically by atomic
• On the periodic table there is a zigzag
line on the right side of the table.
There are two sections of elements on
the periodic table, metals and