English 11 Name __________________
Narrative of the Life of Period ____
Frederick Douglass Questions/Vocab
1. In this selection, what does Douglass seek from his owner, Master Thomas?
2. After the first six months at Covey’s farm, Douglass was
a) determined to keep reading and writing no matter what.
b) reduced to an unthinking, uncaring brute.
c) ready to kill himself if beaten again.
d) on the verge of stealing the oxen and going to St. Michaels.
3. To Douglass, the distinction between being whipped and fighting back is parallel to the
a) saving one’s pride and saving one’s soul.
b) being a brute and being a human being.
c) feeling physical discomfort and feeling emotional discomfort.
d) being good and being bad.
4. The fight with Covey leaves Douglass feeling
c) wildly confused.
5. Douglass’s standing up to Covey does all of the following except
a) surprise Covey.
b) earn Douglass Covey’s fear or grudging respect.
c) make Covey ashamed of trying to “break” Douglass.
d) show up Covey.
6. What kind of work does Douglass do for Covey?
7. How is Douglass treated during his first six months that he works for Covey?
8. What does Covey do that makes slaves feel that he is always present?
9. When Douglass writes, “You have seen how a man was made a slave; you shall see how a
slave was made a man,” what does he understand a man to be?
10. Identify at least two reasons that the fight with Covey is a turning point in Douglass’s
A. Directions: Write the vocab word that fits best in the blank.
11. Dr. Busybody tends to ________________ with her advice if she
overhears someone on the bus complain of a headache.
12. Dr. Indirecto prefers to _______________ that his patients are
quite sick by asking them questions like “Have you made a will?”
13. Dr. Beefemup can’t stand to see a patient _________________.
“Eat, eat!” he tells them. “Exercise, exercise!”
14. Dr. Whateverworks has tried ________________ treatments for
arthritis, from surgical joint replacements to bee-sting therapy.
15. Dr. Bornthatway has such an amazing __________________ for
medicine that she was on staff at the Mayo Clinic by the age of 18.
B. Circle the letter of the best option.
16. Which is most likely to cause a houseplant to languish?
c) lack of water
17. If you have a faculty for playing the piano, you have a
a) teacher for it.
b) love of it.
c) talent for it.
18. To intimate something is to communicate it
a) through suggestions
b) in precise terms.
c) in a low voice.
19. To be earnest about something is to have ____________ feelings about it.
20. Which is the best expression for referring to a group of sundry items?
a) a barrel of monkeys
b) a baker’s dozen
c) a mixed bag
C. Write three questions you might ask Douglass if you could interview him, and the
answers he might give. Use at least three of the vocab words. Underline the vocab words
that you use.