Docstoc

GLRPPR Steering Committee Conference Call

Document Sample
GLRPPR Steering Committee Conference Call Powered By Docstoc
					                    GLRPPR Steering Committee Conference Call
                               November 9, 2005

Participants
David Cera, Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance
Mary Beth Holley, TechSolve, Inc.
Marcia Horan, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
Debra Jacobson, GLRPPR Executive Director
Phil Kaplan, U.S. EPA Region 5
David Liebl, UW-Extension Solid and Hazardous Waste Education Center (SHWEC)
Joy Scrogum, GLRPPR/Illinois Waste Management and Research Center
Laura Rauwerda, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
Ted Smith, U.S. EPA Great Lakes National Program Office
Karen Teliha, Indiana Department of Environmental Management
Tom Ustanik, Lansing Cleaners Inc.

P2Rx Meeting Briefing
Debra Jacobson briefed the Steering Committee on the recent Pollution Prevention
Resource Exchange (P2Rx) meeting involving regional center directors and EPA P2
project officers, which took place in Denver, CO. See
http://www.p2rx.org/Admininfo/NatMeetDenver05.cfm for more information. Deb will
distribute the meeting summary/recap to the Committee when it becomes available.

Funding has been decreased approximately 17% for the national P2 programs. Beth
Anderson of U.S. EPA pointed out that the current decrease is in addition to the lack of
increase in funding since 1993, despite an increase in inflation and costs. Ann Goode,
the new OPPTS division director, was in attendance, and seemed interested in helping
to push the P2 program and provide support.

The P2Rx program manager position, currently held by Jean Waters of the University of
Nebraska, will be changed to Andy Bray of NEWMOA in January of 2006.

The center directors discussed service and activities for P2Rx to drop due to funding
cuts and changing needs. (Deb distributed a chart of some of the P2Rx services to the
Committee members prior to the call.) The directors also discussed activities that
should be continued and potential new services to add to address changing needs.
More information on these discussions will be included in the P2Rx meeting summary
that Deb will distribute to Committee members at a later date. Marcia Horan noted that
usage measurements should be part of the discussion for what to drop and what to
keep. Deb and Phil Kaplan explained that P2Rx considers these sorts of assessments
on an ongoing basis, and that some factors beyond pure usage numbers are
considered in whether or not a service is worthwhile. For example, a popular service
might not actually be particularly helpful for the target audience of technical assistance
providers, P2 professionals, etc. Also, considerations of the time and effort involved in
providing a given service should be considered relative to or in addition to usage
measures.



                                                                                             1
Another topic discussed at the meeting was the proposal by some coordinators and
some representatives from the EPA headquarters P2 division that some of the regional
P2Rx centers should be collapsed. For example, it has been suggested that the EPA
Region 3 center could potentially be collapsed, and if that were the case, GLRPPR
might help support that region. Also, Tristan Gillespie of Region 2 expressed an interest
in having more P2 activity in that region; there is a possibility that NEWMOA and
GLRPPR could collaborate to address those needs.

Measurement Initiative
Deb announced that the NEIN funding has come through to begin collecting P2
measurement data for EPA. In the near future, passwords will be assigned to
Committee members (or the contacts that they designate), so that states may begin
inputting information using the web-based agglomeration tool. As discussed on
previous calls, this information will be aggregated by P2Rx centers for the National
Pollution Prevention Roundtable (NPPR), which will in turn use the information to
provide a report on P2 progress and results to the U.S. EPA.

The PPRC tool will be used for this project. See http://pprc.org/measure/ for more
information. Deb explained that Tyler Rubach, GLRPPR webmaster, will be working
with PPRC to customize the tool by adding fields for measures of regional interest
(mercury emissions, for example). This would enable states to not only enter and work
with data that are of interest to NPPR and EPA, but also to work with information that is
of interest to the region or the specific agency entering the data. This specialized
information will be available only to the user (i.e. it will remain confidential). The tool
can be used to generate reports (see http://pprc.org/measure/reports/summary.cfm for
an example report).

Deb pointed out that this regional customization could make the tool a particular asset
to agencies that do not currently have their own means of tracking P2 results data. For
those agencies in the region that do currently have their own databases, Tyler will work
with those agencies to try to make their existing tools work with the PPRC tool to avoid
as much as possible the necessity to enter data into multiple databases.

A training session to guide individuals in the use of the measurement tool has been
discussed, and could potentially be conducted via a web cast, NetMeeting or similar
technology that would avoid the need for travel. Several Committee members had
questions about the way the tool will work. Deb indicated that she would send a link to
the pilot version of this tool for Committee members or their designated contacts to
peruse. In the meantime, Phil suggested that each state should provide technical
contacts that would be responsible for entering this data, and/or confirm the contact
information that Deb already has for technical contacts.

GLRPPR Strategic Planning Meeting
February 22 and 23, 2006 have been chosen as the dates for the GLRPPR strategic
planning meeting. The tentative times are 10:30 to 5:00 or 5:30 on the 22nd, followed by
dinner as a group, and 8:30 to 2:00 on the 23rd. Committee members should provide
feedback to Deb, Phil or Ted Smith if there are any concerns with these dates or times.
John Perrecone of U.S. EPA has agreed to serve as the facilitator for the meeting, and
                                                                                           2
Deb, Phil and Ted will be meeting with him next week to discuss the purpose of the
meeting. Ted indicated that the Club Quarters had been secured at the rate of
$99/night—this information should be included in a summary packet that Deb will
distribute for the benefit of those who need an agenda or related information to attach to
travel requests. Travel scholarships are available for up to two people per state up to
the amount of $300 ($300 for each person, not $300 total).

The basic objective of the meeting will be to examine the needs of the Great Lakes
State along with GLRPPR services and activities to determine what’s working well, what
isn’t, and what needs the states feel they have that they would like GLRPPR to address.
Deb indicated that Jean Waters, Karen Teliha, and Steve Brachman have provided
some strategic planning resources that may be helpful in this process.

Next Call
The next call was originally scheduled for 9:30 CST on January 4, 2006. However, it
was pointed out that many people will just be returning to the office at that time and
might be occupied with catching up, so it was suggested that the call be moved to the
following week. Therefore, the next call is scheduled for January 11, 2006 at 9:30
CST. The call-in number, as always, is 217-244-7432.

Action Items
   • Deb will distribute the P2Rx administrative meeting summary/recap to the
      Committee when it becomes available.
   • In the near future, passwords will be assigned to Committee members (or the
      contacts that they designate), so that states may begin inputting information
      using the web-based agglomeration tool.
   • Deb will distribute the URL for the pilot P2 measurement tool to the Committee
      members.
   • Committee members should provide Deb the names of designated P2
      measurement contacts within their state or agency.
   • Committee members should provide feedback to Deb, Phil or Ted if there are any
      concerns with the proposed dates or times for the GLRPPR strategic planning
      meeting. Committee members should contact these individuals with any general
      concerns they have related to the meeting, suggestions for the agenda,
      information on individuals to invite, etc.
   • Deb will provide a tentative agenda, travel scholarship information and related
      summary material pertaining to the GLRPPR strategic planning meeting to the
      Committee members by next week for the benefit of those who need such
      information to attach to travel requests.




                                                                                         3

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:0
posted:5/24/2012
language:
pages:3