Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Community Engagement Advisory Group, by iSJmi52

VIEWS: 13 PAGES: 7

									New South Glasgow Hospital

Community Engagement Advisory Group


Summary of the meeting held on Tuesday 23rd March 2010

The big issues discussed included

   Smoking policy – Presentation and discussion with Liam
    Gallagher, Site Facilities Manager.

   Transport to the New South Glasgow Hospitals – Presentation
    and discussion with the Head of Transport, Niall McGrogan
    around access issues and plans in place to solve them.

   Feedback on the visit to Glasgow Royal Infirmary – members
    heard feedback from the visit to look at single rooms in the
    Canniesburn Unit.

   Members were shown publicity materials including the 2nd
    Edition of the CEAG newsletter and the bannerstands created
    for the New Adult Hospital and for the New South Glasgow
    site.

   Future areas of work were discussed, particularly the group’s
    meeting with the architects to look at 1:200 (1 centimetre = 2
    meters) floorplans.




                                                                     1
      Minute of meeting held on Tuesday 23rd March 2010
      Langlands Building, Southern General Hospital

      Present
      Rory Farrelly, Director of Nursing (Acute) (Chair)
      Dan Harley, Community Engagement Manager
      Jackie McIlraith, Community Stakeholder
      Nan McKenzie, Community Stakeholder
      Anne Ferguson, Community Stakeholder
      Jinty Mann, Community Stakeholder
      Anne Macdonald, Community Stakeholder
      John McKnight, Community Stakeholder
      Margaret Millmaker, Community Stakeholder

      Apologies
      Kate Munro, Community Engagement Manager
      Flora Muir, Quality Coordinator
      Bryan Bannerman, Volunteer Coordinator
      Ann Purdie, Healthcare Chaplain
      Salma Jaffri, Community Stakeholder
      Andrew Williams, Youth Panel Representative
      David Pace, General Manager, Facilities
      Lisa Martin, Development and Enablement Worker, South West CHCP

      In Attendance
      Nicole McInally, deputising for Flora Muir
      Liam Gallagher, Site Facilities Manager, West Sector
      Niall McGrogan, Head of Community Engagement and Transport

1.       Welcome and Introductions
1.1      Rory opened the meeting and introductions were made around the
         table for the two guest speakers at the meeting, Liam Gallagher and
         Niall McGrogan.

2.       Apologies
2.1      Apologies were made on behalf of those noted above.

3.       Minutes of meeting on 19th January 2010
3.1      The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as an accurate
         record.

3.2      Jinty advised that she had not received her copy of the working
         agreement back. Lorna will collate and send copies back.

                                                                               2
3.3   The remaining matters arising will be covered later in the agenda.

4.    NHSGG&C Smoking Policy
4.1   Liam Gallagher attended the meeting on behalf of David Pace to
      discuss the smoking policy. Liam is the Site Facilities Manager for the
      West Sector, covering the Gartnavel and Western sites.

4.2   The smoking policy was introduced in two phases:
      March 2006 – smoking banned within hospital buildings.
      March 2007 – smoking banned in hospital grounds.
      The policy was implemented in acknowledgement of the health
      issues associated with smoking, and also to ensure that patients,
      visitors and staff were not exposed to smoke against their will.

4.3   The first phase of the policy has been largely successful, however it
      is acknowledged that stopping smoking in hospital grounds has been
      more difficult.
      Signage is used to advise/ remind that the grounds are no-smoking
      areas and the policy looks to all staff to promote and highlight the
      smoking ban.

4.4   The main complaints are with regards to gathering of smokers at
      entrances to hospitals. Liam acknowledged that one of the difficulties
      here is that there are high numbers of ‘transient’ people, i.e. people
      who are passing through rather than attending the hospital on a day
      to day basis, therefore more reminders required.

4.5   This is a common problem across the UK, where the national picture
      of smoking at main entrances reflects local difficulties. It is also noted
      that there is more difficulty when departments are in the middle of a
      site (e.g. Gartnavel General, Southern General) rather than close to
      external areas.

4.6   Margaret asked how people are approached when smoking. Liam
      advised that if inside the building, the environmental health team can
      be called, however the same legislation doesn’t apply to outside
      buildings. The policy states that all staff have a responsibility to
      promote and reinforce the message in their area. This however has
      to be done in an appropriate way, taking into consideration the nature
      and circumstances of the people being approached.




                                                                               3
4.7   Rory noted that there needs to be a culture of no-smoking developed
      by users and a culture where staff feel comfortable in approaching
      people in an appropriate way. Margaret raised concerns over staff
      safety and Liam agreed that there is a need to sum up quickly how to
      deal with different people, however the majority of people respond
      positively.

4.8   Anne suggested flyers should be available at entrances for staff to
      give out if they do not want to approach someone directly, which will
      highlight the no-smoking policy and provide information on stopping
      smoking. Liam will look into this idea.

4.9   It was suggested that this issue should be highlighted to the Project
      Team to encourage imaginative signage or other methods of
      discouraging people from smoking at hospital entrances on the
      NSGH site.

4.10 Some members of the group gave examples of instances of patients
     smoking and asked what help they receive. Nicotine Replacement
     Therapy (NRT) is offered to patients while in hospital and there are
     mechanisms in place to refer patients into smoking cessation
     programmes also.

4.11 Rory commented that this is not an issue which will be resolved
     quickly, however it is important to look at what other areas have tried
     and possibly incorporate these ideas into the new build. For example,
     Frank McGuire has already looked at different methods, such as
     recurring voice systems and playing classical music.

4.12 At the last meeting of the group, Nan had raised concern over the
     selling of goods in hospitals, therefore Rory asked if Liam could
     comment on the policy and management. Liam advised that in the
     West sector, stalls run by charitable organisations are provided with a
     designated area, free of charge. Profit making organisations,
     however, are charged a fee of £75 which is put into a patient and
     staff welfare account.
     Nan advised that space for patients, visitors and staff its important
     and was concerned that stalls reduce this.
     Rory suggested that in the context of this feedback, there should be a
     critical review of the management of stalls and whether this affects
     patient movement. Liam will raise with all the sectors and either he or
     David Pace will formally write back Rory, who will in turn feed back to
     the group.


                                                                              4
5.    Transport to the New South Glasgow Hospitals.
5.1   Niall McGrogan provided the second presentation to the group, on
      transport and access issues to the NSGHs.

5.2   Niall acknowledged existing access problems across Greater
      Glasgow and Clyde due to both inherited sites with poor access and
      also due to the purpose of the NHS which has high numbers of
      elderly/ mobility impaired people using it.

5.3   The NSGH site will contain two hospitals, each with different age and
      health profiles, all of which need to be considered. There is also a
      need to consider access for carers, visitors and staff, as well as the
      wide ranging geographical areas that both hospitals will cover.

5.4   Niall talked through some of the information already known that can
      be included in the planning of transport provision. This included:
       70% + of people drive or are driven to hospital, therefore parking
        is important in improving the patient experience.
       Public transport users tend to be more disadvantaged and there is
        higher car ownership in more affluent areas.
       Knowledge is important – people have a knowledge of transport in
        their local area but struggle with cross-city routes.
       2 bus journeys are common.

5.5   Taking into account the points above, plans are already underway to
      tackle some of these issues. The site will have 4 multi-storey car
      parks and there will be public transport routes designed making it
      easy for buses to get through the site and to drop at main entrances.

5.6   Niall advised of the journey times from various connections into the
      current Southern General Hospital. The new plans will build on these
      connections to improve them, including improving interchanges
      through better signage, and better quality lighting and shelters. Work
      is also being done to better connect existing services and increase
      frequency.

5.7   The new Fastlink service will provide high quality buses running on a
      dedicated road to prevent delays. The bus will also have a dedicated
      stop on site at the transport hub which will be located at the front of
      the main entrances to both hospitals and include real time travel
      information for all buses coming onto the site.




                                                                            5
5.8   Money is being put into improving cycling and walking routes around
      the site for staff living nearby.

5.9   A legal framework called the Statutory Quality Bus Partnership will
      be agreed between NHSGGC and Glasgow City Council. This
      framework is possible because of the investment the Board is putting
      into transport, NHSGGC can legally require that buses have to meet
      certain standards or they will not be allowed to come on site. Buses
      will therefore have to be fully Disability Discrimination Act (DDA)
      compliant, meet driver and cleanliness standards and possibly
      extend running times to cover visiting hours.

5.10 Further work will have to be done with the Scottish Ambulance
     Service and volunteer drivers to ensure that there is quality for the
     patients who use these services also.

5.11 There was further discussion around buggies, including clear
     specification on the side of the bus of how many buggies can be
     accommodated; space for folded buggies; difficulties for people using
     double buggies; and the possibility of a service at the New Children’s
     Hospital providing collapsible buggies for transport being suggested.

5.12 The group thanked Niall for his presentation. Any further thoughts or
     questions should be passed to Lorna.

6.    Matters Arising
6.1   Visit to Glasgow Royal Infirmary – Anne Macdonald fed back on the
      recent visit by the group focusing on Hospedia (formally Patientline),
      the need for storage and social space and room in en-suites for
      wheelchair users. It was noted that many of the negative points
      raised have already been tackled in the design of the NSGH, as
      shown in a previous presentation by Fiona McCluskey. With regards
      to space, it was noted that there needs to be a review by Ward
      Sisters and Senior Charge Nurses of what non-essential items are
      stored and a culture of ‘good housekeeping’ should be sustained.

6.2   In terms of feeding this information back to the Project Team, Dan
      will be taking the note of the visit to Fiona McCluskey and she has
      seen the notes of the other visits.

6.3   Car Park Arrangements – this will be carried forward to the next
      meeting.



                                                                               6
6.4   Presentations – Fire Safety and Security presentation will be held
      over until the September meeting, and the presentation on supplies
      and waste will take place later in the year.

6.5   CEAG Publicity Materials – Copies of the most recent Engagement
      News were available for members to take back to their groups. The
      bannerstands of the NSGH site were also displayed. Dan will forward
      outreach dates to the group.

6.6   Communications Plan – Dan met with John McKnight to discuss
      different communication methods. The updated Communications
      Plan was handed out to the group.

7.    1:200 Floorplans
7.1   A date to meet with the architects has been set for 15th April. The
      group will be able to see the 1:200 drawings at this meeting.

8.    Images from Nightingale Architects
8.1   For information, the group had been sent images of previous work
      carried out by Nightingale Architects.

9.    AOB
9.1   No further business to be raised.

10. Date of Next Meeting
10.1 The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 22nd June 2010 at
     2.30pm in the Langlands Building, Southern General Hospital.




                                                                            7

								
To top