Position Opening In and Out of House 02/01/11 Open Until Filled
Rural Alaska Community Action Program, Inc.
JOB TITLE: Community Wellness Coordinator Class: Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Wellness Program Range: 14
DIVISION: Community Development Supervisor: Comm. Dev. Manager
JOB SUMMARY: Coordinates all aspects of the Middle School Partnership AmeriCorps Program
and the Students In Service AmeriCorps Program. Support the Division’s
wellness initiatives, including FASD prevention and the Rural Providers’
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: ** This job description in no way implies that these are the only
duties to be performed by the employee. Employees may be required to perform any other duties
within this or a lower level job upon request of the immediate department or division supervisor.
1. Responsible for all aspects of the recruitment and hiring of the AmeriCorps Members. Makes
recommendations for the suspension and/or termination of Members to the Community
2. Oversees all aspects of Member’s terms of service; required paperwork; payroll and leave
processes; and ensures Members compliance with all applicable policies and procedures.
3. Organizes the Orientation and In-Service Trainings for Members; including all planning,
logistics, and agenda and material production and preparation.
4. Provides technical support to Members on health and wellness issues and activities; motivates
and inspires members; fosters an ethic of service and AmeriCorps esprit de corps.
5. Guides program planning and needs assessment with input from community leaders, current
and former VISTA and AmeriCorps Members, program staff, funding sources, and other rural
6. Works with Members, community leaders, program staff and funding sources to publicize and
promote program activities and accomplishments. Oversees the production and distribution of
technical information, program materials.
7. Coordinates the purchasing and distribution of program supplies, materials, and equipment;
and all program travel and logistical arrangements.
8. Designs, develops and distributes culturally appropriate wellness materials for Community
9. Participates in the development and integration of Wellness and Prevention Programs in
1. Prepares quarterly progress reports; assists with preparation of funding applications.
2. Assists with planning and implementation of the Rural Providers’ Conference, and other
3. Networks with other service providers, prevention organizations and agency partners to
promote the mission and goals of the RurAL CAP Wellness and Prevention Programs.
4. Performs other job related duties at the request of the Community Development Manager or
1. General office environment, tobacco free building.
2. Heavy daily use of computer and phone.
3. Able to endure work fluctuations, deadlines, and interruptions.
4. Must be able to work long hours during occasional peak periods.
5. Frequent travel to rural Alaska and occasional travel to the lower 48 states.
1. Valid Alaska Driver’s License. Must provide a copy of current driving record from the
Department of Motor Vehicles.
2. Insured Vehicle. Must present proof of insurance.
3. Proven ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative and creative problem solving
while also working effectively as a team member.
Agency recommends annual TB screening and physical as part of employee’s personal
wellness plan (Recommendation – Not a requirement of this position)
1. BA/BS in community development, public health, program management, or related field plus
one (1) year, or equivalent five (5) equivalent education and work experience.
2. Technical experience in coordinating projects; excellent organizational and time-management
3. Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills including expertise in report
writing and cross-cultural communication.
4. Strong word processing and desktop publishing personal computer skills.
5. Working knowledge of rural Alaska; ability to travel to rural program sites.
1. Knowledge of FASD and AmeriCorps Programs.
2. Extensive knowledge of social, cultural and economic conditions in rural Alaska; cross-cultural
experience working with Alaska Natives.
3. Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, for Windows, and Adobe PageMaker.
This document is not intended to exclude an opportunity for modifications consistent with providing
reasonable accommodation. This is not intended to be a contract. Your signature indicates that you
have read this job description and understand the essential functions and essential qualifications.
Employee Printed Name: Date:
Division Director: ____________________________________
Executive Director: ____________________________________
Work Comp DOL Class ESC Code EEO Class Area
8742 Non-Exempt 21-1091 ASW 62