Interregional Expert Meeting
UNIDO/ICS Africa-Mexico Cooperation Programme on the
Geothermal Area for Productive Uses
James Baanabe Isingoma
Commissioner Energy Resources Department
Africa/ LAC Inter-regional Cooperation
List of Content
Current actions & activities
• Renewable energy policy 2007 goal is to
increase the use of modern renewable energy
from the current 4% to 61% of the total
energy consumption by 2017.
• One of the strategic objective is to develop
geothermal energy to complement hydro and
other sources of power to meet the energy
demand of rural areas in sound environment.
• The country’s geothermal potential is
estimated at 450 MW.
Location of Geothermal Resources
RESULTS OF RECENT INVESTIGATIONS
Subsurface temperatures of 140-200°C for Katwe, 120-150°C
for Buranga, 200-220°C for Kibiro and 100 - 160 °C for other
areas have been predicted by geothermometry.
Anomalous areas have been mapped by geology and
geophysical studies in Katwe and Kibiro prospects.
Temperature gradient drilling and measurements at Katwe
(30 - 36°C/km) and Kibiro (13 -31°C/km) suggest geothermal
reservoirs that are either deep seated or offset from the
Micro-seismic surveys have located a subsurface anomaly
within the vicinity of the thermal activity at Buranga, but is yet
to be confirmed by additional geophysical surveys and drilling.
CURRENT ACTIONS &
1. Licensed areas
(i) Part of the Katwe area was licensed in
2010 to COZUMEL ENERGY LTD. to carry
out a prefeasibility study and a feasibility
study. Duration 3 years.
(ii) Buranga area licensed in 2011 to GIDS
CONSULT LIMITED to carry out a pre-
feasibility study. Duration 3 years.
2. Regional Projects
• “Introducing Isotope Hydrology for
Exploration and Management of Geothermal
Resources in the African Rift System 2009-
• “African Rift Geothermal Development
Facility (ARGeo)”. Other countries are
Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Eritrea and
Djibouti. The Kibiro area has been selected
to benefit from the ARGeo project. The
project will finalize surface exploration and
Inadequate data regarding the available resources
Inadequate resources for exploration and feasibility
Need for Capacity building.
• In adequate trained capacity of Ugandans to call out
exploration and development of the resources
• Purchase of equipment to be used in the geothermal
• The legal and Institutional framework needs
to be strengthened
• Need to come up with a Strategy for
• Training of Ugandans in geothermal exploration
methods, attachments to successful geothermal
projects in the region, and study tours
Acquire equipment such as:
Geophysical equipment: Magneto Terrullics (MT) (3 stations)
Transient Electro Magnetic (TEM) spare parts and software.
Laboratory equipment: Portable Mass Spectrophotometer
NEED ANALYSIS CONT’D
• Completion of surface exploration at Katwe,
Buranga and Kibiro
• Detailed surface exploration at Panyimur
• Based on the findings do the detailed feasibility
study for the most promising site
• There is Potential for geothermal development.
• The main challenges to developing the potential are
centered on inadequate resources, capacity building and
putting in place an adequate institutional framework.
• Need to put in place the Geothermal Development
Strategy to accelerate the development of geothermal.
• Need to finalize surface studies in four areas Katwe,
Buranga, Kibiro and Panyimur and select suitable areas
for the feasibility study.
James Baanabe Isingoma
Ministry of Energy and Mineral
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Tel: +256414341494