Lead the Online Revolution in
ACTE 2009 National Conference,
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Challenging Your Assumptions
“Disrupting Class” – Clayton Christensen
What does the data say about the future of
“If we teach today as we
taught yesterday, then we rob
our children of tomorrow.”
Out of every 100 ninth graders …
65 will graduate from high school
39 will enter college
26 are still enrolled by sophomore year
15 will graduate from college
Virtual High School
“A Shared Mission - - A Natural Partner”
• Penn Foster’s Core Value - - We will only
partner with public schools to deliver our
high school curriculum.
Who Are We?
• Penn Foster is your virtual schooling
• More than 400 U.S. high schools use Penn
Foster High School Curriculum.
• Over 223,000 students are in enrolled in
Penn Foster worldwide.
• Over 7,000 students graduate annually
PENN FOSTER’S ULTIMATE VALUE
• Keeping Students in School
• Helping Students Graduate
• Preparing Students for Productive Careers
& Success in Postsecondary Education
• Ensuring School Districts Keep Their
Virtual High School
• Regionally accredited by the Middle States
Commission on Secondary Schools for its
high school and career technical programs.
• Accrediting Commission of the Distance
Education and Training Council (DETC)
• Registered with the NCAA Initial Eligibility
Building in the RRR Framework
• Rigor: Objective-Based, Standards-Aligned,
Program breadth from AP Courses to Credit
• Relevance: 21st Century and Web 2.0 Skills,
CTE Offerings, and Workforce Readiness.
• Relationships: Highly Qualified Teachers,
Mentoring and Local Support.
Virtual Career High School
• Career Programs aligned to the 16 Career
Clusters and Career Pathways
• Career Diploma, Certificate, Single Credit
• Industry Certifications (where appropriate)
• 21st Century & Workforce Readiness Skills
Virtual High School
• Credit Recovery
• Dropout Recovery
• Advanced Placement
• Dual Enrollment
• Summer School
• Instructional designers based the development
of the Penn Foster Virtual High School
courses on nearly 100 years of research which
identifies the attributes that characterize an
effective high school curriculum model.
Model for Effective H.S. Courses
• Course Objectives
• Pedagogical Goals
• Pedagogical Methods
• Learning Techniques
• Meet professional and state content
• Prepare students for advanced learning.
• Prepare students for life.
• Engage students intellectually.
• Address specific learning needs of diverse
high school populations.
• Utilize effective formative and summative
evaluation of student progress.
• Address learning at all levels of Bloom’s
N C D
O Rationale Ask Right
W Answer Questions
D A B
G Right Right
APPLI CAT I O N
• Online discussions with teacher monitoring.
• Reflections on what has been learned that
• Web trips with projects.
• Semester-long projects: problem-based,
• Section and semester tests.
• Weekly practice assignments.
• Understandable learning objectives,
previews, descriptions and reviews.
Working with Dr. Bill Daggett
“We’re losing too many students
from our schools and we know one
thing for sure – putting at-risk kids
back into the same curriculum, the
same learning methodology, and
the same environment will not
work. This is where alternatives
like Penn Foster can help.” – Bill
Polk County Workforce Education Academy Summit – November 2007
Each school has its own
• In developing Penn Foster courses, the
designers focused on addressing the very
skills and benchmarks that the American
Diploma Project emphasizes are necessary
to prepare high school students for future
academic success, the workplace, and life.
Director of Business Development
Auburn Career Center
Our mission is to
guarantee that all
themselves, excel in the
emerging workplace, and
enrich their communities.
Career technical training center in suburban/rural Concord Township
30 miles NE Cleveland, OH
Serves 750 On campus High School Students, 1200 HS students served
with supplemental courses, 4000 Adults
Partner Background: Auburn Career Center
• Recognized as an early adopter of computer-based learning
and online education options. The Online brand is called
– Currently has more than 6000 students online and hybrid courses.
– 75 Online Academic Courses / 20 Blended CTE / 6 PD
– Offers shared services of Blackboard, Media Streaming, Wimba,
and online courses.
– Provide service to Education Centers and School districts
Centered on students on a career
pathway in Health Science.
Pharmacy Technician Career Diploma Course
• Allied Health Technology
• Emergency Medical Services
• Patient Care Technician
Imported into Bb
& Course Content Customized
21st Century Learning…
“Did You Know” Ver 4.0
January 29-31, 2010
18th Annual Model Schools Conference
Monday, June 14 – Thursday, June 17, 2010
G. Thomas Schultz, Consultant
International Center for
Leadership in Education
Successful Practices Network
1587 Route 146
Rexford, NY 12148
Phone (518) 399-2776
Fax (518) 399-7607