AP European History Study Guide Chapter 23
This study guide is to help you get ready for the test. Some of the information asked is found in the notes, and some
in the textbook. This is typical of MOST college classes and this style of study guide is designed to prepare you!
Also, while most test questions come from this guide, anything in the notes and textbook could be on the test!
You MUST do this study guide for points! You may NOT type this study guide out! You also MUST do the
practice for the essay questions. Write the answers in YOUR OWN WORDS. This will help you to remember and
understand the material. To receive full credit, you must do all parts of the question, not just the first basic question.
This test will have a DBQ. I no longer give the topics – but you should still prepare for it yourself!
Population Trends and Migration
1) What was notable about the proportion of Europeans in the world’s population around 1900?
2) Between 1846 and 1932, how many citizens did Europe lose to emigration?
a. What was a contributory factor to this migration?
The Second Industrial Revolution
3) How was the Second Industrial Revolution characterized as opposed to the first Industrial
Revolution? (What and Where)
4) What were some of the new inventions that had a huge impact on European lives?
a. What new demands materialized due to these inventions?
The Middle-Class in Ascendancy
5) What type of people made up the “middle-class” in 19th century Europe?
a. Who were the petite bourgeoisie?
b. What aspirations did they have?
Late-Nineteenth-Century Urban Life
6) How were large European cities redesigned from the middle of the 19th century onward?
7) Who did Napoleon III appoint to redesign Paris?
a. What changes to the city did he make?
8) What were suburbs and why did they develop?
9) Middle-class reformers targeted what issue as an impediment to a healthy and politically stable
a. What was Cholera and who was impacted by it?
b. What was done to prevent its spread in the cities?
10) What goals were believed to be solved by middle-class housing reformers?
a. What attempts were being made to fix housing for the working classes?
Varieties of Late-Nineteenth-Century Women’s Experiences
11) In what areas did virtually all European women face social and legal disabilities?
a. Briefly describe each of these.
12) During the Second Industrial Revolution, what two major developments affected the economic
lives of women?
a. Briefly describe each development.
13) What was the “putting out” system in Germany’s clothes manufacturing?
a. How did this affect women’s employment?
14) What led women to prostitution?
a. What was its legal status in Europe?
15) What was the Cult of Domesticity?
16) Why did family size decrease in the 19th century?
17) What difficulties did the early women’s movements have?
a. Where was Europe’s most advanced women’s movement?
b. Who were some of the early feminists?
18) Following the revolutions of 1848, how did opportunities for Jews change?
Labor, Socialism, and Politics to World War I
19) Why were political parties created and organized?
20) What relationship did socialists and nationalists have?
21) What was the First International?
a. What impact did it have on the future of socialism?
b. Why was this organization so significant?
22) What was the Fabian Society?
a. What were its beliefs and goals?
23) Who were the leaders of socialism in France?
a. What were their beliefs and goals?
24) What was the German Social Democratic Party or SPD?
a. How did Bismarck handle this group?
b. What programs did Bismarck end up creating in response to the group?
25) What was the Erfurt Program?
a. Who were their leaders?
b. What were their goals?
26) What was the doctrine of Revisionism?
a. Who wrote it?
b. How was it critical of Karl Marx?
27) Who was Sergei Witte (1849-1915)?
a. What programs did he put forth in Russia?
28) Who was Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (1870-1918)?
a. What was discussed in his What is to be Done?
29) What were the Bolsheviks and Mensheviks?
a. What were the goals of each?
30) What was the event known as Bloody Sunday?