Republic of Korea
By. Jeoung Yun Kim
• Total Population:
48,508,972 (July 2009 est.)
• Population growth rate:
0.266% (2009 est.)
• Total Fertility Rate
1.21 children born/woman (2009 est.)
Incentives For Babies
• From 50 million won to 500 million won
are given by the government per child
(about 2500 kroner to 25000 kroner).
• Basic baby health check up for free
• Up to 1000 million won(about 5000
kroner) given to babies born with
Incentives for mom
• For sterile couple, government support 5
0% of the cost for test tube babies.
• 20 million won(1000 kroner) is given to
• Iron pills are free in public health service
• 90 days of paid maternity leave
• 1 year of caring leave ,50 million won
paid by the government
• Flexi-time and shorter hours introduced f
or working mums.
• Three days of paid paternity leave, a first
for South Korea.
• Advantages in promotions in state-owne
• Maternity leave events
• Maternity lounges
• Birth bonuses
For families with many children
(From 3 children)
• 50% Reduction in car acquisition and
• Advantages in getting house
• Reduction on electric bills
• Credits in national annuity
• Higher Tax revenue per child.