Robert Healy, Stockbridge Valley CSD
Disciplines (Subject Area) Social Studies
Grade Levels: 8
Time Frame: 40 minutes
Attached sample of WWII era rationing ticket
Attached sample of WWII era ration collection envelope issued to businesses during the
1. Students will understand how the U.S. rationing system worked and how each
ration coupon was supplied to families during WWII.
2. Students will be able to describe how the rationing during WWII was regulated
throughout its usage.
3. Students will be able to discuss how businesses were forced to track and be held
accountable for their collection of ration coupons.
1. Students will list what they have eaten/purchased in the last 5 days.
2. Students will then be given copies of WWII ration tickets and compare how many
tickets their families may have needed in order to support the same diet over the
last 5 days.
3. Students will now be given a copy of the collection envelope that was issued to
businesses during the 1940’s and evaluate how they were held accountable for
ration coupons and the responsibility that they held.
4. Students will then plan a hypothetical meal plan for their families for the next five
days, using the ration allotments of the 1940’s.
List of Documents Used: (notations)
Attached copy of a 1940’s ration coupon
Attached copy of a 1940’s ration collection/retrieval envelope
Special Notes (if necessary)