Navrae Wes-Kaap Onderwysdepartement
Enquiries G. van Wyk
Western Cape Education Department
Telephone 021 4672000
IFoni ISebe leMfundo leNtshona Koloni
Fax 021 4672620
EXPIRY DATE: NONE
TO: PRINCIPALS OF ALL WCED INSTITUTIONS, CHIEF DIRECTORS,
DIRECTORS, HEADS OF SECTIONS AND PERSONNEL AT HEAD
OFFICE AND DIRECTORS AND PERSONNEL AT EMDCs
BRIEF SUMMARY: Information concerning the Revised National Curriculum
Statement for Grades R to 9 (Schools)
SUBJECT: THE REVISED NATIONAL CURRICULUM STATEMENT FOR
GRADES R TO 9 (SCHOOLS)
1. On 15 April 2002 the Council of Education Ministers approved the Revised National
Curriculum Statement (NCS) for Grades R to 9 (Schools). This statement is the culmination
of the curriculum review process that began in June 2000 and led, firstly, to the Draft Revised
NCS, and now to the Revised NCS. Once it has been published in the Government Gazette,
it will become national policy.
2. The Revised NCS differs substantially from the Draft Revised NCS released for public
comment in July 2001.
3. The National Department of Education (NDE) will provide copies of the new
curriculum to schools. Until then, an electronic copy of the ‘Overview’ of the Revised NCS
can be found on the NDE website at http:// education.pwv.gov.za
4. National time frames for the implementation of the Revised NCS are as follows:
Foundation Phase January 2004
Intermediate Phase January 2005
Grade 7 January 2006
Grade 8 January 2007
Grade 9 January 2008
MELD ASSEBLIEF VERWYSINGSNOMMERS IN ALLE KORRESPONDENSIE / PLEASE QUOTE REFERENCE NUMBERS IN ALL CORRESPONDENCE /
NCEDA UBHALE IINOMBOLO ZESALATHISO KUYO YONKE IMBALELWANO
GRAND CENTRAL TOWERS, LAER-PARLEMENTSTRAAT, PRIVAATSAK X9114, KAAPSTAD 8000
GRAND CENTRAL TOWERS, LOWER PARLIAMENT STREET, PRIVATE BAG X9114, CAPE TOWN 8000
5. Learners currently in the GET band are required to continue with current curriculum
policy as per previous circulars on curriculum policy. In terms of these circulars the following
must be implemented:
Foundation Phase : National policy, as emphasised in Circulars
114/2000 and 115/2000
Intermediate Phase : National policy, as adapted by the WCED
and and specified in Circulars from
Senior Phase 100/2000 onwards.
6. The introduction of the Revised NCS should be seen as a separate development to the
current General Education and Training Certificate (GETC) process. The first GETC based
on the Revised NCS is envisaged for 2008.
7. The Revised NCS will be implemented via Learning Programmes. National Policy Guidelines
for the development of Learning Programmes are in the process of being developed.
8. The Revised NCS will undergo trials in a number of schools.
9. The WCED has developed a comprehensive programme for the orientation of principals,
school management teams, teachers and school governing bodies. Information for parents is
included as part of the WCED strategy.
10. This orientation programme will be followed by comprehensive training of teachers prior to
implementation in order to provide them with an opportunity to explore fully the requirements
of the Revised NCS. Teachers will also receive training in the development of Learning
11. The WCED is committed to the comprehensive distribution of information, orientation towards
training in and successful implementation of the Revised NCS.
SIGNED: P.A. VINJEVOLD
ACTING HEAD : EDUCATION
DATE : 2002:05:22