ENGLISH LANGUAGE EVALUATION FORM
THIS FORM MUST BE COMPLETED BY YOU, WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM ANOTHER
PERSON, OR, USE OF A DICTIONARY OR ONLINE TRANSLATION FACILITY.
It is important that you are able to communicate in a basic level of English and if you are
unable to do so this may result in you being sent home from Ashburnham.
How long have you studied English?
How many hours per week do you study English?
Do you speak any other languages?
Would you consider your spoken English to be: poor / adequate / good / fluent?
PLEASE COMPLETE ALL SECTIONS
Please read the following instructions carefully
Please do not take more than 30 minutes to complete this test
Do not use any tools such as dictionaries, translating devices, etc, or ask for
You do not have to have a perfect score on this – we are trying to assess your level
Please send the form in along with your application.
Mark the correct option:
1. What ……. you do for a living?
2. Were you at the park?
O Yes, I were
O Yes, I did
O Yes, I was
3. What did Andy do? He ……. all day.
O is working
4. This is ……. movie of the year.
O the better
O the best
O the most good
5. Do you need some money? No, I don’t need ……. money.
6. A dog is ……. than a chicken.
O more intelligent
7. We go to church ……. the evening.
8. I haven’t done my work ……. .
9. They ……. all morning, but they haven’t finished yet.
O have been working
O are working
O was working
10. If I had the money, I ……. around the world.
O will travel
O would travel
11. When Anne arrived, the class ……. .
O already begun
O had already begun
O has already begun
12. If she ……. earlier, she wouldn’t have missed the train.
O had got up
O would have got up
O got up
Choose the correct option: A, B, C or D.
1. At the end of the course special prizes were ……. to the winning team.
O A. won
O B. awarded
O C. earned
O D. deserved
2. If the bomb had exploded, it could ……. have killed hundreds of people.
O A. might
O B. well
O C. equally
O D. yet
3. After many years of research, they found the solution ……. .
O A. by the end
O B. at the end
O C. at last
O D. on the end
4. You can go to the party ……. you are back home by 11pm.
O A. as well as
O B. as time as
O C. as long as
O D. as far as
Read the first sentence. Choose a sentence below which is in agreement with what you
have just read.
1. A dog is bigger than a mouse, but smaller than an elephant.
O A dog is smaller than a mouse.
O A dog is very big.
O A dog is the biggest.
O An elephant is bigger than a dog.
2. Miriam is looking after the children.
O She can see the children.
O She is taking care of the children.
O She is looking at the children.
O The children are in front of her.
3. What does Deborah like?
O What are her favourite things?
O How is she?
O Does she look like Deborah?
O Does he like Deborah?
4. He hopes to go home, but he may have to work.
O He’ll be at home before the office.
O It is possible that he will go to work.
O He’s allowed to go to work.
O He always goes home after work.
5. She used to eat chocolate.
O She is used to chocolate.
O She ate chocolate before, but she doesn’t now.
O She usually eats chocolate.
O She used two chocolate bars.
6. Shall I take you to the station?
O Would you like me to take you to the station?
O Must I take you?
O Will it be necessary to take you there?
O Did I take you before?
7. Susan remembered to phone the doctor.
O She remembered phoning the doctor.
O Susan forgot to remember to phone.
O She didn’t forget to phone the doctor.
O She remember that she phoned her.
8. Madame Blueberry has lived nearly 115 years.
O She was very old.
O She is very old.
O She died when she was nearly 115.
O Madame Blueberry has many more years.
9. Either teacher knows the answer.
O No teachers know the answer.
O Both teachers know the answer.
O All the teachers know the answer.
O Any teacher can answer.
10. I’d rather be a millionaire.
O I’ve been a millionaire.
O I’d better be a millionaire.
O I’d prefer to be a millionaire.
O You have more millions than me.
In the space provided below, please write down what is your favourite place and why you
like it so much.