Charles Benson Bear ’39 Recreation & Athletic Center
Tornado or Severe Weather:
1. During athletic events, when the tornado siren sounds or a tornado warning is issued, individuals
at athletic events should be directed to the lower level link corridor between the two main
buildings of the athletic complex.
2. There may be times when Grinnell College Campus Safety & Security may make
announcement or Grinnell College Recreation and Athletic Department Officials may make
announcements over the public address system concerning severe weather. Individuals should
be directed to follow the instructions which are given over the public address system.
1. When the Fire Alarm system sounds individuals should immediately exit the building.
2. Individuals are not to use the elevators.
3. Once out of the building, individuals should move away from the structure or to an area as
instructed by Grinnell College Campus Safety & Security, City of Grinnell Police, or Fire
4. Individuals can return to the building when the alarm system stops.
5. There may be times when Grinnell College Campus Safety & Security may make
announcement or Grinnell College Athletic Department Officials may make announcements
over the public address system concerning the fire alarms.
6. Individuals shall be directed to follow the instructions that are given over
the public address system concerning alarm mechanical failures.
7. During times when inclement weather necessitates the need for additional shelter,
when individuals leave the athletic complex buildings due to fire alarms, individuals shall
be directed to the Harris Center for shelter. Grinnell College Campus Safety & Security
should be aware of the weather and have the Harris Center open for people to enter.
8. Grinnell College Athletic Department coaches and staff are to assemble outside the main
entrance to Darby, on 10th Street, for an accounting of all personnel following the evacuation
of the athletic complex.
Members of the Grinnell College Athletic Department, coaches and staff, will voluntarily assemble at the
Welcome Desk to assist with the evacuation process.
Assist in the evacuation of:
1. Darby gym.
2. Darby lobby.
3. The swimming pool.
4. The Natatorium lobby.
5. Concession area.
6. The home and visiting teams.
8. Individuals with special needs.
Equipment Cage Supervisor(s) and Event Manager
Physically go to the following locations and assist with the evacuation of:
1. The fieldhouse.
2. Fieldhouse storage areas.
3. Field house restrooms.
4. Auxiliary gym.
5. Climbing/Bouldering wall.
6. Multi-purpose/Dance studio.
7. Natatorium restrooms.
8. Pool deck storage rooms.
9. Meet management room
10. Family change room.
11. Wet classroom.
12. Aquatic director’s office.
13. Link locker rooms.
14. Wet and dry corridors.
15. Officials locker rooms.
16. Restrooms in hall just north of Darby gym.
17. Men’s and women’s athletic locker room suites.
18. Men’s and women’s visitor locker rooms.
19. Fitness center.
20. Athletic training room
21. Equipment issue room.
Note: 1. Do all possible to have the women’s locker rooms, mentioned above, checked by a
1. The Charles Benson Bear ’39 Recreation and Athletic Center will receive an announcement
over the public address system from Grinnell College Campus Safety and Security regarding
any general evacuation emergency directions.
2. Grinnell College Recreation and Athletic Department Program Directors will evacuate their
areas of responsibility (i.e. Fitness Center Director, Aquatics Director, Athletic Trainer,
Equipment Cage Supervisor, Wellness Director).
3. All doors to the Charles Benson Bear ’39 Recreation & Athletic Center will be locked by
Grinnell College Campus Safety and Security for the duration of the emergency.
4. Grinnell College Department of Recreation and Athletics coaches and staff will be notified
by phone when it is safe to return to the building.
5. All employees of the Grinnell College Department of Recreation and Athletics are
encouraged to periodically review the Emergency Procedures and Evacuation Routes online.