2001 年 6 月
Part I Listening Comprehension (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your listening ability. It consists of 3 sections.
Directions: This section is to test your ability to give proper responses. There are 5 recorded questions in it.
After each question there is a pause. The questions will be spoken two times. When you hear a
question, you should decide on the correct answer from the 4 choices marked A, B, C and D given
in your test paper. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single
line through the center.
Example: you will hear: Mr. Smith is not in. Would you like to leave him a message?
You will read:
A. I’m not sure. B. You’re right.
C. Yes, certainly. D. That’s interesting.
From the question we learn that the speaker is asking the listener to leave a message. There fore, C. Yes,
certainly is the correct answer. You should mark C on the Answer Sheet.
Now the test will begin.
1. A. Yes, we’ll meet. B. Of course, we will. C. How about tomorrow? D. At the school gate.
2. A. It’s five o’clock. B. I get up early. C. It is not my fault. D. The bus was late.
3. A. All right. B. It doesn’t matter. C. No problem. D. I don’t think so.
4. A. Nov. 15th. B. New Year’s Day. C. Christmas Day. D. Friday.
5. A .You may get one. B. Here you are. C. At 9:15. D. Fifty dollars.
Directions: This section is to test your ability to understand short dialogues. There are 5 recorded dialogues in it.
After each dialogue, there is a recorded question. Both the dialogue and questions will be spoken two
times. When you hear a question, you should decide on the correct answer from the 4 choices marked
A, B, C and D given in your test paper. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer
Sheet with a single line through the center.
6. A. In a computer room. B. In a restaurant. C. In an office building. D. In a waiting room.
7. A. Selling a house. B. Inviting some friends. C. Buying a house. D. Having some food.
8. A. A teacher. B. A student. C. A businessman. D. A policeman.
9. A. Henry. B. John. C. Peter. D. Nancy
10. A. Mail a letter for him. B. Take the shopping list with her.
C. Go shopping with him. D. Take some money with her.
Directions: In this section you will hear a recorded short passage. The passage is printed in the test paper, but
with some words or phrases missing. The passage will be read three times. During the second
reading, you are required to put the missing words or phrases on the Answer Sheet in order of the
numbered blanks according to what you hear. The third reading is for you to check your writing.
Now the passage will begin.
The president of our company is considering a new policy of working hours. This system of
working hours 11 in many companies all over the world. With this policy, the workers can
choose what item to begin and 12 their work each day. However, they still work a set
number of hours 13 . Also, the workers may be required to be at work during a 14 hours
during the day, such as from 10:00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m.. The workers 15 this policy because it
gives them the right to choose convenient working hours.
Part II Vocabulary and Structure (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to text your ability to use words and phrases correctly to construct meaningful and
grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing
the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A, B, C and D given in your test paper. Then you should
mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16._________ Annie’s glass, I apologized to her.
A. To break B. Breaking C. Having broken D. Break
17. The doctor came out of the patient’s room with a _________ look on his face.
A. serious B. silent C. simple D. slight
18. Don’t ________. I can help you with the typing.
A. matter B. care C. worry D. concern
19. Mother kept inviting Mrs. Smith to stay for lunch, but finally she ________.
A. gave off B. gave out C. gave away D. gave up
20. Either of the children __________ quite capable of looking after the baby.
A. are B. be C. is D. have been
21. There are some more topics to discuss, ____________ the problem of pollution.
A. generally B. especially C. exactly D. probably
22. If you _________ your children well, you will be proud of them.
A. catch up B. bring up C. feed up D. grow up
23. Little ________ that the police are about to arrest him.
A. he knows B. he doesn’t know C. does he know D. doesn’t he know
24. I’ve never seen the young man __________ next to the director.
A. sits B. sitting C. sat D. to sit
25. It’s high time we __________ something to stop road accidents.
A. did B. are doing C. will do D. do
Directions: There are also 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of
the word given in the brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer
26. When I called her on the phone, she pretended (not know) __________me.
27. These pills should (keep) __________ out of the reach of children.
28. Xiao Li speaks English in a way as if she (be) ________ an American.
29. The boss has promised a wage increase for all the (employ) ___________.
30. The sellers allowed us to pay them on a (month) ____________ basis.
31. He told a very (live) _______ story about his life in Africa.
32. Every day the director is the (late) ___________ person to leave the office.
33. I didn’t attend the evening party; but (apparent) _________, it was a great success.
34. The chairman should raise his voice in order to make himself (hear) __________.
35. This is the first time I (see) ________ such a terrible scene.
Part III Reading Comprehension (40 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your reading ability. There are 5 tasks for you to fulfill. You should read the
reading materials carefully and do the tasks as you are instructed.
Directions: After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements, numbered
36 through 40. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A, B, C or D. You should
make the correct choice and mark the corresponding letter in the Answer Sheet with a single line
through the centre.
Many visitors to the United States find that the fast pace at which people move is very
troubling. One’s first impression is likely to bet that everyone is in a rush. City people always
seem to be hurrying to get where are going. And they are very impatient if they delayed even for a
brief moment. At first this may seem unfriendly to you. But drivers will rush you ; storekeepers
will be in a hurry as they serve you; people will push past you as they walk along the street. You
will miss smiles and brief conversations with people when you shop or dine in a restaurant. Do not
think it is because Americans are in other countries as well.
Americans who live in cities such as New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles, often think that
everyone is equally in a hurry to get things done. But when they discover that you are stranger,
most Americans become quite kindly and will take great care to help you.
36. Visitor to the United States possibly feel that city people of the country are very ___________.
A. busy B. kind C. troubling D. patient
37. In American big cities, people rarely ____________.
A. smile to each other B. move at a fast pace
C. chat with each other in a shop D. dine away form home
38. According to the writer, American people are ________________.
A. unfriendly only when they are shopping B. actually friendly to foreign visitors
C. indeed cold to foreign visitors D. in no hurry when walking in the street.
39. Which of the following statement is TRUE according to the passage?
A. Life pace is different inside and outside big cities.
B. Life pace is quite slow in other parts of the world.
C. Life pace is the same in different parts of the world.
D. Life pace is similar in American cities, big or small.
40. It seems that Americans are cold to you because they think _______________.
A. you are a foreigner B. you know their way of life
C. you are as busy as they are D. you are a stranger there
Directions: This task is the same as Task 1. The 5 questions or unfinished statements are numbered 41 to 45.
Most visitors to the United States will need a visa(签证) as well as a passport and a health
record. There are various kinds of visas depending on the estimated length of stay, even more
important, on the purposed of your visit. For example, among the types of visas available are:
B1-Normal short visitors for business, B2-Normal short visits for pleasure, F1-Student, and
f2-Family of student.
A small white form, 1—94, will be attached to your passport showing your classification(类
别), arrival date, purpose of visit, and departure date. If you want to stay longer than the date on
this form, you must apply to the United States Immigration Service(移民局) for an “Extension of
Stay” at least one month before the date indicated. Be sure not to stay beyond the date on which
you should leave without an approved extension.
41. The first paragraph tells us that __________________.
A. the type of visa a visitor to the USA should get
B. the kind of a visitor one can be
C. the certificates a visitor to the USA should prepare
D. the length of time a visitor to the USA can stay
42. A tourist who visits the USA will most probably get a visa of ____________.
A. F1 B. F2 C. B1 D. B2
43. The kind of visa you apply for mainly depends on ___________.
A. what you do to make a living
B. how rich you are as a visitor
C. why you visit the country
D. how long you will stay in the country
44. The “departure date” on the small white form gives the date _______________.
A. to which you can extend your stay
B. on which you apply for a longer way
C. on which you arrive in the country
D. by which you must leave the country
45. How can you know the date before which you must apply for an “extension”?
A. You can count it from you arrival date.
B. You can find it on the small white form.
C. You must ask the Immigration Service about it.
D. You will be informed by the Immigration Service.
Directions: The following is a repot. After reading it, you should complete the information by filling in the
blanks marked 46 to 50 in not more than 3 words in the table below.
Major international computer seeks sales manager for challenging overseas position:
Those who apply for the position should have:
--- a university degree in business or related field
---at least 8 years’ experience in computer sales, 4 at the management level
---competitive salary based on qualifications and experience
---excellent fringe benefits(附带福利)
telephone: Barbara Carter, New York, at 55-1324
Economy Rent—a – Car
- a variety of models to choose from
- low rates
- self-drive and chauffeurs(司机) – driven cars
- full comprehensive insurance(全险种保险)
- unlimited distance
- excellent service
For more details call: 391-9247
In the first advertisement 46 are wanted.
The computer company prefers those who once studied 47 at university.
Those who apply for the job can contact the computer company by 48 .
From the second advertisement, we know that there are 49 cars for people to rent.
It does not matter if you cannot drive a car, because the company will rent out 50 .
Directions: The following is a list of terms in advertising.. After reading it, you are required to find the items
equivalent (与…等同)to those given in Chinese in the list below. Then you should put the corresponding letters
in brackets on the Answer Sheet, numbered 51 through 55.
B New Perspective
C News of the Week
D Business and Economy
E English Corner
H Campus Life
I Language Class
L Olympic Bid
N Information and Technology
O Weather Report
Examples: ( B ) 新视角 ( N ) 娱乐
51. ( ) 信息和技术 ( ) 摘要
52. ( ) 天气报告 ( ) 焦点
53. ( ) 本周新闻 ( ) 文化
54. ( ) 校园生活 ( ) 英语角
55. ( ) 语言课 ( ) 评论
Directions: Read the following letter.. After reading it , you are required to complete the statements that follow
the questions (No.56 to No.60). You should write your answers in not more that 3 words on the
Answer Sheet correspondingly.
We are told that you are the largest importer of clothes in the States of California, U.S.A. and
interested in purchasing silk goods from China.
For your information, our company has been exporting wears for more than 21 years; and our
Peony range(牡丹牌系列产品 ) has been a great success wherever it has been introduced, thanks
to their quality, attractive design and reasonable price. Therefore, we are certain that our company
has the ability to meet the requirements of our customs abroad.
Enclosed your will find your catalogue (商品目录) and current price list showing the full range of
our export products; and you will also notice that we offer a discount (折扣) of 2%.
We are looking forward to the opportunity of doing business with you, and meanwhile we assure
you that your orders will receive our immediate and careful attention.
56. What kind of goods are does the U.S. company want to import according to the letter.
57. Why are the exporter’s products well accepted everywhere?
Because they are of ___________, attractive design and reasonable price.
58. What is enclosed with the letter?
_________________________________________ and the price list.
59. What is the discount offered by the exporter?
60. How will the exporter deal with the importer’s orders?
The orders will be given __________________________________________.
Part IV Translation English into Chinese (25 minutes)
Directions: This part, numbered 61 to 65, is to test your ability to translate English into Chinese. Each of the
four sentences (No. 61 to No. 64) is followed by four choices of suggested Chinese translation
marked A, B, C and D. Make the best choice and write the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
Write your translation of the paragraph (No. 65) in the corresponding space on the Translation /
61. You should present your most attractive qualities throughout the interview.
62. Poor as he was, he cared little about money reward.
63. Unfortunately, medical tests proved the fact that the baby was not their own child.
64. Carmen has been a tourist guide for over a year now, and she wouldn’t trade her job for any
65. For your safety while on attraction (游乐场) , please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the
vehicle at all times. For the comfort of all our guests, smoking is not allowed in all waiting
areas, stores, dining areas, rest rooms and locations designed for parade (游行) and stage
show (舞台表演) viewing.
Part V Writing (25 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write an e-mail according
to the information given in Chinese. Remember to do the writing on the Translation/Composition Sheet.
说明：按电话留言的格式和要求，以秘书 Helen 的名义，给 Mr. White 写一份电话留言，包
1． 来电人：霍尼韦尔（Honeywell ）公司的 Mr. Johnson
2． 来电时间：2001 年 6 月 25 日上午 10 时
3． 事由： Johnson 明天要出差去北京，
Mr. 因此原定与 Mr. White 后天上午的约会只能取消，
等出差回来后再与 Mr. White 约时间联系。