Canadian language is distinct in both spelling and speech. We are a unique blend of British and American
1. We as Canadians pronounce some words differently from our American neighbours. Spell the following
words in a way that indicates two different ways they could be pronounced.
either = eether or eyether leisure = harassment =
2. Complete the chart below: British American
3. The influx of Loyallist settlers brings about what changes to the language? In turn, Sir John A.
MacDonald declares what?
4. Settlers from which three places are credited with developing the West?
5. List some distinctly Western Canadian words and their source.
6. List several words introduced into the Canadian vocabulary by the following groups:
Spanish Gold Rushers (I think I just “coined” a neologism) Loggers Aboriginals
7. What is meant by the comparison of “eh” to a Swiss Army knife?
8. List some of the 2000 distinctly Canadian words.
9. What does “shag” mean in Thunder Bay?
10. What is another Canadian word for underwear?
11. To what groups does the video attribute the dialects new to Montreal?
12. What two phenomenon have infiltrated Canadian language most recently?