Sheet1 - Hull City Council

Document Sample
Sheet1 - Hull City Council Powered By Docstoc
					Street          Building    Reason for Inclusion on Local List/Comments                      Date
                Name/Number                                                                  Added

Alfred Gelder   No.100            Former Victorian Water Offices. Good and attractive
Street                            example of Queen Anne style architecture displaying
                                  some fine parget decoration and architectural
                                  features including 2 oriel windows and a pedestrian
                                  arch. Later but sympathetic double-pitch (gambrel)
                                  roof with dormers.

Alfred Street   Smokehouse        Distinctive and once commonplace Hull building type,
                                  now rare. One of only 9 surviving examples.
                                  Important reminder of Hull's once great fishing and
                                  fish-processing industries and a significant contributor
                                  to local distinctiveness.

Argyle Street   Sea Cadets HQ, Former schoolroom to the now demolished Argyle
                No.118         Street Wesleyan chapel. A good example of
                               Romanesque style architecture. Built 1910 to the
                               designs of Gelder and Kitchen. Attractive use of red
                               brick and stone dressings and a rare building of
                               distinction for the area.

Bankside        Former            Rare surviving example of a National School and an
                Sculcoates St     important contributor to Sculcoates's own sense of
                Mary's National   place and local distinctiveness. Built in 1852 and
                School            controlled by the National Society for the Education of
                                  the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church
                                  (formed in 1811). Transferred to the Local Education
                                  Authority (established 1903) and closed in 1908.
                                  Architect unknown, but it represents a good example
                                  of Tudor style architecture and a rare 'touchstone' to
                                  Sculcoates's past - a former independent settlement
                                  on the west bank of the River Hull dating back to at
                                  least the 14th century and probably earlier. Occupies
                                  a prominent riverside position.




                                              Page 1
Beverley Road   Royal British    Extremely interesting and unusual stuccoed cottage
                Legion,          of c.1837. Probably designed by H. F. Lockwood who
                Kingston         was architect of Kingston College (now Kingston
                Cottage, No.44   Youth Centre) to the north. The cottage was originally
                                 single storey; it has a nice Tudor style doorway and
                                 windows to the ground floor and windows with
                                 classical detail to the first floor. It was seemingly the
                                 college lodge (the nearby Gothic style stone gate-pier
                                 is identical to the pair at the present entrance to the
                                 Youth Centre).

Boothferry Road Three Tuns       Good and attractive vernacular inspired example of
                                 the suburban roadhouse-style pubs that were built to
                                 serve the new housing suburbs of the 1920s and
                                 1930s. The old Three Tuns had stood in Great
                                 Passage Street since the 1820s and closed in 1936
                                 following large-scale demolition in the area. The
                                 licence was transferred to this new pub opened in
                                 1936.

Boothferry Road The Fiveways,    Good and very attractive Neo-Georgian example of
                No.317           the suburban roadhouse-style pubs that were built to
                                 serve the new housing estates of the 1920s and
                                 1930s. Built for Hull brewers Moors' & Robson's Ltd.
                                 Railings above bay window feature M&R initials.




                                             Page 2
Bowlalley Lane   Samman House Good example of late 19th century shipping offices
                 & Redwood    with a fine ornamental door surround added in or
                 Hall, No.4   after 1919. Originally known as Deddington
                              Chambers (after the Deddington Steamship
                              Company owned by Sir Henry Samman). In 1919 Sir
                              Henry Samman gifted the building to the Hull
                              Incorporated Chamber of Commerce & Shipping. At
                              the same time, he provided for the erection at the rear
                              of the offices, now known as Samman House, a
                              magnificent Council Chamber ('Redwood Hall')
                              designed by B. S. Jacobs & T. Snowden.
                              Subsequently, and to mark his Presidency of the
                              Chamber in 1921, Sir Henry installed a large stained-
                              glass window, depicting shipping through the ages
                              and incorporating the Chamber’s crest and the coat
                              of arms of Hull Trinity House. In the early 1950s, a
                              further four stained-glass windows where installed
                              down the east side of the Council Chamber as a
                              contribution to Festival of Britain Year. The distinctive
                              1950s windows, illustrating the industries of Hull,
                              were designed by Pope & Parr of Nottingham and
                              were gifts of the paint, seed-crushing and wholesale
                              grocery trades.

Calvert Lane     Former Priory    Prominent and distinctive landmark building and a
                 cinema           good example of 1930s Art Deco super-type cinema
                                  architecture. Opened in 1938 and built to meet the
                                  needs of the rapidly growing surrounding area. During
                                  WWII, it served as a Civil Defence Centre. After
                                  closure in 1959, it was converted to a supermarket.
                                  Old auditorium destroyed by fire in 1973 and replaced
                                  with a new purpose-built supermarket (not included).


Castle Street    x2 lampposts at Rear examples of historic street furniture. Early-mid
                 Trinity Burial  19th century. Distinguishable from the other later
                 Ground          electric lampposts in the churchyard by their fluted
                                 cast iron column, fluted cross bar (lamplighter's
                                 ladder rest) and inverted bowl base set on an
                                 octagonal plinth. Fragment of lantern extant on one
                                 only. Burial ground opened in 1783 and closed in
                                 1861.




                                              Page 3
Chamberlain      Remploy Ltd      Rare and unusual example of 1930s Art Deco factory
Road                              offices, the most prominent and distinctive feature of
                                  which is a 2-storey geometric-based tower and
                                  chimney.

Chapel Lane      Standidge        Charming example of a Victorian warehouse complex
                 Buildings        arranged around a courtyard - accessed via a
                                  carriage arch through offices on the street frontage.
                                  Built 1884. Pleasing mixture of 2 and 3-storey
                                  warehouses with brick dentil cornices and lots of
                                  loading bay doors and segmental arch windows with
                                  robust multi-paned windows. Lovely 3-storey offices
                                  to front with good use of moulded brick and tile
                                  decoration.

Church Lane,     Former Church Good and rare example of a traditional village
Marfleet         Institute     building type within the City boundary. Built in 1914
                               on land given by St. John's College, Cambridge. Red
                               brick with slate roof and multi-paned windows in
                               attractive Vernacular Revival style. Previously used
                               as a village hall and by Marfleet village school before
                               been sold in the late 20th century. Retains attractive
                               painted name on north 'transept'.

Church Street,   Sutton Village   Large and distinctive Edwardian mansion of smooth
Sutton           Care Home,       pressed red engineering bricks. One of several big
                 No.30            houses that illustrate the trend from the later 18th
                                  century of wealthy inhabitants of Hull choosing Sutton
                                  village as a popular place of residence. This example,
                                  one of the last to be built, typically and
                                  characteristically for Sutton, has its back to the main
                                  street. Built on the site of an earlier house (known as
                                  Elm Tree ) of which only the stables and coachhouse
                                  survive. Elm Tree was demolished c.1907 and
                                  replaced with the current mansion, known initially as
                                  Elmtrees and later as Godolphin Hall. The front
                                  facade, facing south, has distinctive and attractive
                                  shaped gables and a good copper sun dial bearing
                                  the legend 'TAKE TIME BY THE FORELOCK'. To the
                                  front and side are good projecting door canopies.
                                  From 1937-9 during the Spanish Civil War (1936-9),
                                  the building was home to 40 refugee children from
                                  the Basque region of northern Spain who were cared
                                  for by local volunteers.




                                              Page 4
Church Street,   No.48              Good example of an unspoilt end of terrace 2-storey
Sutton                              village cottage (extant in 1853). White washed brick
                                    with pantile roof. Offset front door (with segmental
                                    arched head) with 8-over-8 sash window to side (also
                                    with segmental arched head). Window above latter
                                    same.




Church Street,   No.19              Good and rare surviving example of local railway
Sutton                              architecture. Originally built for the stationmaster at
                                    Sutton Station. Sutton Station was operated by the
                                    Hull and Hornsea Railway which opened on 28th
                                    March 1864. The company merged with the North
                                    Eastern Railway (NER) in 1866. The line was closed
                                    to passenger traffic on 10th October 1964 although
                                    goods traffic continued until 13th May 1965. The
                                    former stationmaster's house is the only surviving
                                    building connected with Sutton Station.


Church Street,   Headstone to       Distinguished Australian 'Battle of Britain' ace. Killed
Sutton           Flight             in action 7th September 1940. Highest scoring non-
                 Lieutenant P. C.   British fighter pilot in the Battle of Britain. Credited
                 Huges, DFC,        with shooting down the German ace Oberleutnant
                 Churchyard of      Franz von Werra ('The One That Got Away'), the only
                 St James           German to escape British custody and make it back
                                    to Germany.


Church Street,   Duke of York,      Old traditional village local. Probably built or rebuilt on
Sutton           No.70-72           the site of an earlier alehouse at the end of the 18th
                                    century. No. 72 was a separate shop until 1920.
                                    Refronted in the 1920s. Attractive example of
                                    domestic scale 'Brewers Tudor'.


Church Street,   Belmont Villa,     Good example of a large mid-late Victorian double-
Sutton           No.76              fronted villa built in a distinctive yellow brick. One of
                                    several big houses that illustrate the trend from the
                                    later 18th century of wealthy inhabitants of Hull
                                    choosing Sutton village as a popular place of
                                    residence.




                                                 Page 5
Cleveland Street The Whiteroom    Good example of a nicely detailed traditional corner
                 (formerly Full   pub. Rebuilt in the 1870s on the site of an earlier
                 Measure          licensed house. Features some of the earliest
                 Tavern)          architectural ceramic ornamentation of any public
                                  house in Hull.


Cottingham       Hop Villa,       Attractive and good example of a grand 3-storey
Road             No.125           Victorian villa in 'white' brick with stone dressings.
                                  Much fine Classical detail with elegant portico, 1st &
                                  2nd floor bay windows to front and rear and 2 nice 1st
                                  floor oriel windows to side of rear projection. Its
                                  name, Hop Villa, recalls that it was originally owned
                                  by local brewer Edwin Robson, of Moors' and
                                  Robson's Breweries Ltd. - once the second largest
                                  brewery company in Hull, after the Hull Brewery Co.


Daltry Street    Former           Distinctive and once commonplace Hull building type,
                 Smokehouses      now rare. One of only 9 surviving examples.
                                  Important reminder of Hull's once great fishing and
                                  fish-processing industries and a significant contributor
                                  to local distinctiveness.




English Street   Former           Distinctive and once commonplace Hull building type,
                 Smokehouse       now rare. One of only 9 surviving examples.
                                  Important reminder of Hull's once great fishing and
                                  fish-processing industries and a significant contributor
                                  to local distinctiveness.


Gillett Street   Smokehouses      Distinctive and once commonplace Hull building type,
                                  now rare. One of only 9 surviving examples.
                                  Important reminder of Hull's once great fishing and
                                  fish-processing industries and a significant contributor
                                  to local distinctiveness.




                                              Page 6
Great Union   Waterloo         Good and attractive example of a large 1930s
Street        Tavern           roadhouse-style pub built in 'Brewers Vernacular
                               Revival' style. Built on site of earlier public house.
                               Main entrance at Harcourt Street has a fine
                               embellished stone door surround with a lovely jettied
                               mock-timber porch above.

Great Union   Union Dry Dock Characteristic and increasingly rare historic riverside
Street                       structure. Important for illustrating the history of
                             shipbuilding in Hull. Founded by William Gibson (late
                             of Airmyn) in 1805. One of Hull's most productive
                             yards. Apart from a brief flirtation with iron
                             shipbuilding at another yard in the 1840s, the Gibson
                             family confined themselves to wooden shipbuilding
                             and repairs until closure in 1897. HMS Dauntless and
                             HMS Hyperion were built here in the years
                             (respectively) 1804 & 1806.




Green Lane    Central         Former mid-Victorian corner pub known as the East
              Buildings, No.1 Sculcoates Central Hotel. Pictured in a F. S. Smith
                              Drawing of 1888. Red brick with stone dressings.
                              Curves satisfyingly round the corner. Further
                              emphasis to the rounded corner is given by the
                              pleasing array of arcade-like round-arched windows
                              at first floor level and the round window in the round-
                              arched dormer facing Green Lane.


Hall Road     Church of the    Pretty 'toy town' church. Built 1933 and designed by
              Holy Name        Bishop Thomas Shine. Attractive brown brick with
                               orange stone dressings. Pleasing Gothic style with
                               nice castellated bell-tower.




                                           Page 7
Hedon Road    Pole mounted     Local landmark and a good example of one of
              1957 F.6         Britain’s most visibly successful exports (Hunter
              Hawker Hunter    aircraft saw active front line service for almost 50
              (serial          years and operated in no less than 19 countries).
              no.XF509) Gate   This example entered service in 1957 and when
              Guard, Humbrol   decommissioned it was used as a Gate Guard at
                               RAF Chivenor in Devon, being pole mounted in 1990.
                               When RAF Chivenor closed in the early 1990s, the
                               Gate Guard was bought by Humbrol (owners of Airfix,
                               the makers of plastic model construction kits) and
                               placed at its factory entrance at Marfleet to resemble
                               a full scale Airfix kit. It is one of only 13 surviving F.6
                               airframes worldwide, one of only 8 in England and
                               one of only 3 F.6 Hawker Hunter Gate Guards.



Hessle Road   No.2050-52,      Entertaining group of 5 former Cottage Homes (2
              No.2054,         detached and 3 semi-detached late Victorian
              No.2056-58,      suburban style villas) designed as part of the
              No.2064,         Sculcoates Union Cottage Homes. Built in 1897 to
              No.2066-68       provide accommodation for destitute children who
                               would otherwise live at the workhouse. The houses
                               were arranged in street fashion (as opposed to
                               village) and designed to accommodate 15-20 children
                               under the supervision of a house-mother. One of only
                               25 Cottage Home sites noted as being in operation
                               nationally in a 1903 parliamentary report and one of
                               only 2 examples in Hull.


High Street   No.68-69         Good and sole surviving example of a post-war
                               riverside warehouse and one of only two former
                               warehouses to survive at the southern end of High
                               Street. Important for illustrating the blitz on the Old
                               Harbour and its post-war re-development. Very much
                               part of the character and long history of warehouse
                               development along High Street.




                                            Page 8
High Street   Former drinking Rare piece of historic street furniture. Interesting late
              fountain & cattle 19th century rectangular granite animal drinking
              trough            trough (now planting tub) with chamfered base on
                                granite slab supports with a granite domed spur stone
                                at each end. Underneath at ground level is a shallow
                                rectangular granite dog trough (or possibly a waste
                                water tray) . Missing shaped head and cistern.
                                Presented by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain &
                                Cattle Trough Association whose name is inscribed
                                on one side. Association founded 1859 as the
                                Metropolitan Free Drinking Fountain Association
                                (Cattle Trough added 1867). Horse-drawn traffic was
                                commonplace until the 1950s and Association
                                drinking troughs provided free fresh water across
                                Britain and spared many animals the frequent risk of
                                death from dehydration.

High Street   Dry Dock south   Characteristic and increasingly rare historic riverside
              of former        structure. Important for illustrating the history of
              Queen's Dock     shipbuilding in Hull. Early 19th century. Occupies part
              Basin            of what was the North End Shipyard which was
                               owned in the 18th century by the Blaydes family. They
                               were Hull's principal shipbuilders in the Georgian era,
                               when they constructed a range of vessels for local
                               ship owners and the Royal Navy. The most famous
                               ship built at the North End Yard was the 'Bethia’ (later
                               renamed ‘HMS Bounty’).




                                           Page 9
Humber Street    No.73           Jaunty and very individual 1950s ‘Festival of Britain’
                                 style fruit and vegetable warehouse. Distinctive first
                                 floor balcony with zigzag balustrade, concrete
                                 parapet featuring roundels and an angled polychrome
                                 brick corner featuring projecting bricks.




Humber Street    No.9 & 10       Rare Georgian survivals for the southern part of the
                                 Old Town. Two mid-18th century houses with later
                                 alterations, refronted early 19th century. By Joseph
                                 Scott, builder. Part of a speculative housing
                                 development begun in 1757. No.10 was formerly in
                                 use as a public house (known as ‘The Steam Packet’)
                                 till c.1900. Preserves a typical and now rare central
                                 entry opening to Scott’s Square. Short listed for
                                 statutory listing in early 1990s.




Jameson Street   'Three ships'   Iconic Italian glass mosaic mural (believed to be the
                 mosaic mural,   biggest in the UK). Superb example of modern public
                 BHS             art (1963). Commissioned by the Co-operative
                                 Society and designed by Wolverhampton artist Alan
                                 Boyson to immortalise the Hull fishing fleet. The face
                                 of the mural contains 4224 foot square slabs (each
                                 made up of 225 tiny glass cubes) and is fixed to a
                                 66ft x 64ft concave concrete screen.




                                            Page 10
Londesborough The Clarendon      Good example of a traditional corner pub. Late
Street                           Victorian. Distinctive and attractive use of 'white'
                                 bricks, with red brick dressings, and dark green and
                                 mustard coloured glazed ceramic tiles (now
                                 overpainted). Good array of pilasters with ornate
                                 capitals and consoles, the latter featuring greenmen
                                 with beards of grapes or hops.




Londesborough Londesborough Rare example of Victorian military architecture. Built
Street        Barracks      1864 by the 1st East York Rifle Volunteers (formed
                            1859). Distinctive and attractive use of 'white' brick
                            with red brick dressings. North elevation (now
                            whitewashed) of main frontage building features
                            pleasing round-arched windows. Rifle Barracks
                            originally comprised drill room, sergeants' quarters,
                            armoury, officers' rooms, stables, etc.




Marfleet Lane   The Crown        Good and attractive Neo-Georgian example of the
                                 suburban roadhouse-style pubs that were built to
                                 serve the new housing estates of the 1950s. Built for
                                 the Hull Brewery Co. and opened in 1955. Features
                                 particular fine doorcases.




                                            Page 11
National Avenue The National,   Impressive and very attractive example of a large
                No.19           1930s 'Brewers Tudor' roadhouse. Good attention to
                                detail and a notable landmark with its tall Tudor style
                                chimney stacks and complex roof covered with
                                'Rosemary' tiles.



Nelson Street   Statue of Sir   Good example of Victorian sculptural endeavour of
                William De La   one of Hull's most famous sons. Life-sized Carrara
                Pole            marble figure (in medieval merchant dress) on granite
                                plinth. Work of local sculptor William Day Keyworth
                                junior (1843-1902). Presented in 1870 to the
                                Corporation of Kingston-upon-Hull by Alderman
                                Robert Jameson, JP, Sheriff 1868-9 and Mayor 1870-
                                3. Stood for 31 years on the top landing of the old
                                Town Hall. Moved outside in 1901; first to the junction
                                of King Edward Street and Jameson Street and then,
                                later on, to its present site on the Humber waterfront.




North Church    Water pump      Rear piece of historic street furniture. Mid 19th
Side                            century. Fluted cast iron column with lion's head to
                                front. Missing fluted dome.




                                           Page 12
Orchard Park     Church &            Regarded as the best post-war church in Hull. Built
Road             church hall of St   1957-8 and designed by Francis Johnson. Neo-
                 Michael & All       Georgian with bell-cot (north side) and Scandinavian-
                 Angels              style west tower with cupola. Spacious interior,
                                     arcaded walls with round-arched windows and
                                     circular windows above. Fine coved ceiling to nave
                                     and chancel. Excellent fittings including curved
                                     wrought-iron altar rails by Wilfrid Dowson. Splendid
                                     drum shaped Norman font from Wharram Percy;
                                     mural on east wall by Denis Booth; sculpture of
                                     Madonna and child by Norman Cawthra; and 4
                                     stained glass windows by L. C. Evetts of Newcastle.
                                     Distinctive church hall (formerly St Michaels church)
                                     with parapetted flat roof and very individual stone
                                     mullioned windows with blocked architrave. Built 1934
                                     and designed by Allderidge & Clark.


Osborne Street   Owbridge Court      Showy and elaborate example of Victorian industrial
                 (former             architecture. Built 1895 by W. T. Owbridge (1844-
                 Owbridge's          1903) inventor of 'Owbridge's Lung Tonic' (1874); a
                 Manufactory)        cough mixture popular among fishermen who had to
                                     face the Arctic waters. Distinctive and nicely detailed
                                     turreted Renaissance facade with a good variety of
                                     pediments. Factory sold 1969 to Organon
                                     Laboratories Ltd, a subsidiary of the huge Dutch
                                     pharmaceutical group KZO. Production at factory
                                     stopped 1971 and closed 1972. Purchased 1990 by
                                     the Sutton Housing Trust and successfully
                                     incorporated into a housing scheme of 35 flats 1992-
                                     3.




                                                Page 13
Park Street      Hull Paragon     Neat example of an Art Deco signal box of 1938.
                 Signal Box       Brick-built with flat concrete roof. Good symmetrical
                                  design with restrained decoration. Mentioned in G.
                                  Biddle's 2003 monograph 'Britain's Historic Railway
                                  Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures & Sites'.




Park Street      Central Masonic Rare and distinctive example of 1920s Art Deco/
                 Hall            Egyptian Revival style architecture. Temple style brick
                                 façade with a good columned porch with outer
                                 pilasters, palmiform capitals and cornices. Notable
                                 coloured glass mosaic solar disc with short stone sun
                                 rays above main doorway. Inscribed parapet
                                 (CENTRAL MASONIC HALL) with concentric square
                                 medallions.




Pickering Park   Rowntree         Rare piece of historic park furniture (re-sited). Good
                 Drinking         quality wall mounted bronze relief drinking fountain
                 Fountain         with water bowl, polychrome mosaic surround and
                                  granite plinth and steps. Presented in 1912 to the City
                                  of Hull by George Rowntree in memory of his wife
                                  Elizabeth Ann Rowntree.




Portobello Street Zetland Arms,   Good and attractive Neo-Georgian example of the
                  No.139          suburban roadhouse-style pubs that were built to
                                  serve the new housing estates of the 1930s. Built
                                  1939. Name and licence transferred from old Zetland
                                  Arms, Adelaide Street (closed 3pm 25th June, 1940).
                                  New Zetland Arms opened 11am 26th June, 1940.




                                             Page 14
Prince's Road   Holiness Hall     Former Bethshan (Hebrew for 'House of Security')
                                  chapel. A good and rare example of a small
                                  Edwardian non-conformist backstreet chapel
                                  (possibly the smallest in Hull). Built c.1903 and
                                  registered by the Independent Holiness Movement in
                                  1958.



Priory Road     The Priory Inn,   Elegant and attractively detailed example of a large
                No.121            1930s roadhouse built in 'Brewers Neo-Georgian'
                                  style.




Queen's Alley   Former South      Rare and early surviving example. Built c.1822 by ale
                End Brewery       brewers Robert Bean & Co for their dray horses at
                Stables           the South End Brewery.




Saltshouse      Three Trees       Pleasing and good example of a vernacular inspired
Road, Sutton    House, No.351     late Victorian suburban villa by Freeman, Son &
                                  Gaskell.


Scott Street    No.21             Former St Gregory's Roman Catholic School- Chapel.
                                  Good example of a combined school and chapel.
                                  Built 1893 and designed by R. G. Smith and F. S.
                                  Brodrick. School originally on ground floor and chapel
                                  on first floor. Good Gothic style upper storey (chapel)
                                  with a fine stone rose window at south end and a
                                  tracery window at north end.




                                             Page 15
South Bridge     Victoria Half- Historically important for being the last major relic of
Road             Tide Basin and Victoria Dock. The latter was opened in 1850 and
                 locks          was the first extension of the port, east of the River
                                Hull. Soon in need of a second larger entrance, the
                                half-tide basin was completed shortly after 1850.
                                Entry to the basin was via one of two locks. The
                                smaller of the two locks was for barge use. The basin
                                allowed ships to enter and leave at half-tide, hence
                                the name. Victoria Dock was closed in 1970, infilled
                                the following year and redeveloped as a 'dockland
                                village' from 1988 onwards. The half-tide basin now
                                serves as a settling pond for surface water drains.




South Bridge     Former Winding Historically important for being the last dock related
Road             House          building associated with Victoria Dock and a rare
                                Victorian dockside relic generally. Built 1866 by the
                                Hull Dock Co., the original operators of the Victoria
                                Dock, and designed to accommodate a coal-fired
                                steam engine and winching mechanism for hauling
                                vessels up a patent slipway from the Humber, both
                                for repair and maintenance.




Southcoates      The Anchor        Good and attractive Neo-Georgian example of the
Lane                               suburban roadhouse-style pubs that were built to
                                   serve the new housing estates of the 1930s. Pretty
                                   adjoining 'coach-house' and diaper pattern boundary
                                   wall to north.




Southcoates      East Hull Fire    Unusual and distinctive example of 1930s town
Lane/Fire        Station/Nos. 1-   planning comprising a fire station and 6 semi-
Station Houses   12                detached former fireman's houses arranged in a
                                   horseshoe layout.




                                             Page 16
Spring Bank   Hull & East         Attractive and prominent example of Vernacular
              Yorkshire           Revival style architecture with Tudor overtones. Built
              Institute for the   1925-6 by F. J. Horth & H. Andrew. Brick and ashlar
              Deaf, No.63         with nice gabled entrance with side turret, solid
                                  chimney stacks and distinctive long rows of stone
                                  mullioned windows to both floors (to admit plenty of
                                  light to aid visual communication). Relocated
                                  foundation stones from an earlier building are set into
                                  the boundary wall to the rear.



Spring Bank   The Hastings        Good and attractive Neo-Georgian example of the
West                              suburban roadhouse-style pubs that were built to
                                  serve the new housing suburbs of the 1930s.




Spring Bank   Spring Bank         Good and rare surviving example of Victorian railway
West          West Railway        architecture dating from the 1880s. Creating an
              Bridge              overall neat appearance the cast iron columns
                                  supporting the bridge girders are complemented by
                                  decorative stone and brick parapets.




Spring Bank   The George          Good example of a traditional corner pub. Late
West/Walton                       Victorian with a sympathetic 1920s extension. Good
Street                            detailing, including some nice parget decoration.




St Marks Square Smokehouse        Distinctive and once commonplace Hull building type,
                                  now rare. One of only 9 surviving examples.
                                  Important reminder of Hull's once great fishing and
                                  fish-processing industries and a significant contributor
                                  to local distinctiveness.




                                             Page 17
Stepney Lane    Bridge over    Probably the oldest surviving bridge in Hull. Dating
                Beverley &     from c.1800. A good example of a late Georgian brick
                Barmston drain built level drain bridge. Spans the Beverley &
                               Barmston Level Drain, cut under an Act of 1798 to
                               improve drainage of the Hull valley. The Drain, known
                               locally as "Barmy Drain", is one of the few still
                               remaining open in the city.


Subway Street   Smokehouse      Distinctive and once commonplace Hull building type,
                                now rare. One of only 9 surviving examples.
                                Important reminder of Hull's once great fishing and
                                fish-processing industries and a significant contributor
                                to local distinctiveness.




Sutton Road     The Lambwath    Elegant well-detailed example of a large 1930s
                                'Brewers Neo-Georgian' roadhouse. Built 1938 for
                                Hull brewers Moors' & Robson's. M&R rainwater
                                heads and incised initials above doorways. Formerly
                                incorporated an 'out door dept' or off-licence and, in
                                the rear room of the pub, some 17th century
                                Jacobean oak panelling from Anlaby Old Hall.




Sutton Road     Sutton Road     Good example of a 1930s Scherzer-type rolling lift
                Bridge          bridge built by the Cleveland Bridge & Engineering
                                Co. This form of bascule bridge was designed and
                                patented by William Scherzer (1858-93) of Chicago in
                                1893. The bridge was opened in 1939 and is one of
                                three single-leaf Scherzer-type bridges spanning the
                                River Hull (the others being North Bridge (1928-31)
                                and Drypool Bridge (1958-1961)). Of the three,
                                Sutton Road Bridge is the most elegant, with
                                particularly fine operating houses (designed in a
                                restrained Art Deco/Neo-Georgian style) featuring
                                external stairs, supported on detached Roman
                                pilasters, terminating in lamp piers.




                                           Page 18
The Greenway,    Harvest Lodge, Charming example of an early Victorian former
Anlaby Park      No.2           gatekeeper's lodge (enlarged 1982) with good
                                decorative bargeboards and an attractive wooden
                                veranda. Originally the lodge to Spring Villa (now
                                demolished), a large house built c.1840 by John
                                Hudson, a Hull merchant. The Villa and its extensive
                                grounds were developed from 1911-12 into the
                                Garden City Estate (now Anlaby Park).




Whitefriargate   Beverley Gate   Nationally important building remains of 14th-17th
                                 century brick gateway. It was here on 23rd April 1642
                                 that Sir John Hotham, the governor of Hull, refused
                                 entry to King Charles I – an act of defiance on behalf
                                 of Parliament which made the English Civil War
                                 inevitable. It was also outside this gate that Sir Robert
                                 Constable, the rebel governor of Hull during the
                                 Pilgrimage of Grace, was hung in chains in 1537.
                                 Noteworthy too is the adjacent remnant of the 14th or
                                 very early 15th century town wall. An estimated 4.7
                                 million bricks went into constructing the full town wall,
                                 the most extensive brick structure in medieval
                                 England.




                                            Page 19
Willerby      Derringham        Prominent and imposing landmark church and a good
Road/Spring   Bank Methodist    example of post-war architecture (1957-8). Designed
Bank West     church &          for 450 worshippers by Messrs. B. Blanchard and G.
              adjoining old     D. Frankish in a contemporary style with very
              hall-chapel       distinctive groups of tall lancet windows with
                                triangular hoods and a Scandinavian- style tower with
                                spirelet. Construction largely financed from war
                                damage payments awarded to the abandoned
                                Coltman Street church in whose memory a meeting
                                room was named. With 300 members in the 1950s,
                                Derringham Bank was one of the strongest Methodist
                                societies in the north of England. Complemented by
                                adjoining school-chapel (registered in 1933) designed
                                by Gelder & Kitchen in a pleasing Vernacular Revival
                                style.




Wincolmlee    Grosvenor Mill    Characteristic and increasingly rare historic riverside
                                building. Important for illustrating the history of Hull's
                                development as a port in the 19th century. Extant in
                                1853.




Wincolmlee    Former         Characteristic and increasingly rare historic riverside
              warehouse at   building. Important for illustrating the history of Hull's
              Anderson Wharf development as a port in the 19th century. Extant in
                             1853.




                                            Page 20
Wincolmlee   Former Granary Characteristic and increasingly rare historic riverside
             & overhead     building. Important for illustrating the history of Hull's
             footbridge     development as a port in the 19th century. Extant in
                            1853 and pictured in a F. S. Smith drawing of 1888.
                            Distinctive early 20th century iron covered overhead
                            footbridge linking the former granary to the mill across
                            the road has attractive decorative roundels in the
                            wrought iron brackets at either side.




Wincolmlee   The 'Stone         Historic boundary name now applied to a rare and
             Chair' (opposite   historic cobbled river landing with stone end steps at
             Charterhouse       the water's edge. The present cobbled surface is
             Lane on the        probably 18th century and is one of only two surviving
             west bank of the   examples of historic cobbling in and around the Old
             River Hull)        Town. The landing is clearly marked on several 18th
                                & 19th century maps of Hull. Most importantly,
                                however, the line of the landing equates with the
                                Stone Chair – a significant and historic boundary
                                point specifically mentioned in a 1772 survey by Page
                                and Broughton. The original Stone Chair may have
                                been, according to one theory, the base and stump of
                                a medieval boundary or sanctuary cross.



Witham       Former Kings       Prominent corner pub with an unusual ground plan.
             Arms, No.142       Built in 1930 by G. Houlton & Sons for Hull brewers
                                Moors’ and Robson’s Ltd. Distinctive Art Deco/Neo-
                                Georgian exterior.




                                           Page 21
Worship Street   Central Fire   Elegant well detailed Neo-Georgian fire station of the
                 Station        inter-war period. Opened 1927 as a combined police
                                & fire engine station.




                                           Page 22
Page 23

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:37
posted:5/17/2012
language:English
pages:23
fanzhongqing fanzhongqing http://
About