Carl D. Hudson Jr., Principal Flushing High School
Ms. Serpe English
Monster, Walter Dean Myers
100-115 questions answered = 100%
90-99 questions answered = 95%
80-89 questions answered = 85%
70-79 questions answered = 75%
60-69 questions answered = 65%
<59 questions answered = 60%
Homework/Study Guide Questions
1. What does Steve notice about the mirror in his cell in the prologue?
2. What does Steve say happens at breakfast in the prologue?
3. Steve says in the prologue that every morning he feels what?
4. Steve says that prison is like what kind of movie?
5. Why does Steve start writing his own movie?
6. Steve says that his movie will be not a story of his life, but a story of what?
7. What does the woman prosecutor call Steve?
8. In the prologue, Steve says that if anyone is prison knows that you are crying, what will
9. According to Steve in the prologue, when is the best time to cry?
10. In what is Steve writing down his story?
Chapter 1, Monday, July 6th
1. In what jail does Steve find himself?
2. How old is Steve?
3. What is Steve's last name?
4. The opening credits of the movie in Chapter One are designed to look like the opening
credits of what famous film?
5. In the credits in Chapter One, Sandra Petrocelli is credited as what?
6. In the credits in Chapter One, Kathy O'Brien is credited as what?
7. In the credits in Chapter One, James King is credited as what?
8. In the credits in Chapter One, Richard Evans is credited as what?
9. What is Richard Evans' nickname in this book?
10. Osvaldo Cruz is a member of what gang?
Chapter 2, Tuesday, July 7th
1. In Steve's notes for Tuesday, July 7th, he notes that one prisoner has a knife. What is this
knife actually made of?
2. Why does Johnny think that "bank money is too serious?"
3. Who says that "restaurants, liquor stores, and drugstores" are the only things left in the
4. Who calls Steve "young blood" in the screenplay following the note of Tuesday, July 7?
5. What stolen goods does Wendell Bolton buy?
6. What does Wendell Bolton say he gave his mother for Christmas?
7. What does Briggs think Wendell Bolton's true motivation is for fingering King in the
8. Why does the judge call for a break during the intense questioning of Wendell Bolton by
9. How old is Steve's brother?
10. Which superhero does Jerry think Steve should be?
Chapter 3, Wednesday, July 8th
1. Which two items do they take away from you in prison, according to Steve?
2. What is the name of the prisoner who wants to read Steve's screenplay?
3. What does the prisoner who wants to read Steve's screenplay want to do with the word
4. What is the name of the "guy who is going on trial for killing his wife" whom Steve knows
5. What does Steve notice about the other prisoners in his journal from Wednesday, July 8?
6. In his journal from Wednesday, July 8, what does Steve say that Kathy O'Brien said her
job was in the eyes of the jury?
7. What do the guards do after the prisoner starts a fight when the preacher visits?
8. Why is Steve having stomach problems on Wednesday, July 8?
9. How does Detective Karyl describe the scene when he enters the drugstore?
10. During Karyl's testimony, there is a close up shot of crime scene photos. What part of the
victim's body can be seen in these photos?
Chapter 4, Thursday, July 9th
1. According to Osvaldo, how old is Bobo?
2. According to Osvaldo, how old is he?
3. On what street does Osvaldo live?
4. What color suit is Steve wearing when Osvaldo identifies him in court?
5. According to Osvaldo's testimony, why does he participate in the robbery?
6. If Steve is sentenced to 25 years to life, at least how much time will he have to serve,
according to O'Brien?
7. Where does Kathy O'Brien tell Steve she was born?
Chapter 5, Notes:
1. What is Steve wearing when his father comes to visit him in prison?
2. Steve's father tells Steve that although he had never made the team for this sport, he
hopes Steve will. What sport is he talking about?
3. Who is comforting whom at the end of the scene between Steve and his father?
4. What has Steve never seen his father do?
5. When Steve's screenplay describes two women from the neighborhood, what kind of
accent do they have?
6. How old is Mr. Nesbitt at the time of his murder?
Chapter 6, Friday, July 10th
1. What is the bad trick O'Brien says Petrocelli is using during the note of Friday, July 10th?
2. What does Steve say about the pictures of Mr. Nesbitt?
3. To whom is Mr. Nesbitt's gun registered?
4. What is left in the cash register, according to Detective Williams?
5. What item or items are found on the floor around the body?
6. What side of Mr. Nesbitt's body do the bullets enter?
7. What is the name of the prisoner who gave Detective Williams' partner a call with a tip
Chapter 7, Saturday, July 11th
1. How does O'Brien act when Steve asks her what she is doing over the weekend of
Saturday, July 11?
2. What is the verdict in Sunset's trial?
3. Steve describes his fear of getting raped or beaten as what kind of object?
4. When Steve's mother comes to visit, how far does he say they are away from each other
on either side of the visiting tables?
5. What have some people in Steve's neighborhood told his mother about Steve's lawyer?
6. What does "doing a calendar" in prison mean?
7. What book does Steve's mom bring with her?
8. In the screenplay scene Steve writes just after his mother leaves, what does King say he
"just needs" in order to commit the robbery?
Chapter 8, Sunday, July 12th
1. What do they have for breakfast on Sunday, July 12th?
2. What happens during the church service on Sunday, July 12th?
3. What time do visiting hours start on Sundays?
4. Why is Jerry not in the visitor's room?
5. Where does Steve see Jerry?
6. What is the mood of Steve's parents when they come to visit him on Sunday, July 12th?
7. When Steve's parents come to visit on Sunday, July 12th, what do they bring news of?
Chapter 9, Monday, July 13th
1. Who is the first witness Petrocelli calls on Monday, July 13th?
2. What is the profession of the first witness Petrocelli calls on Monday, July 13th?
3. During Lorelle Henry's testimony, where does she say she was bringing her
4. Which lawyer requests a sidebar when Bobo enters the courtroom to testify?
5. What is Bobo wearing when he comes into the courtroom to testify?
6. What does Petrocelli say about Bobo's attire when he comes into the courtroom to
7. When Bobo comes into the courtroom to testify and the lawyers are discussing him with
the judge, what does the judge say he looks like?
8. In what prison or jail is Bobo serving time?
9. What, according to Bobo, is a "heavy and a half"?
10. Why, according to Bobo, is he in jail?
11. What, according to Bobo, is a "chrome"?
Chapter 10, Tuesday, July 14th
1. What does O'Brien tell Steve about Bobo's testimony the day after Bobo testified?
2. What does O'Brien say she has to find a way to do in the eyes of the jury now that Bobo
3. What does O'Brien ask Steve to write down on Tuesday, July 14?
4. Whose name does Steve write down twice on his list on Tuesday, July 14?
5. What is the first name of the witness whose last name is Moore?
6. How is Moore related to Bobo?
7. What does Bobo bring to Moore?
8. The witness, Nipping, stipulates that Bobo uses predominately which hand?
Chapter 11, Friday Afternoon, July 17th
1. How does Steve describe the look on his mother's face during the judge's instructions to
2. After the jury begins to deliberate, what does Steve say he is already planning?
3. What kind of decision does Petrocelli say that Steve has made?
4. Who is the first person to tell Steve and King that they have a verdict?
5. What is King's verdict?
6. How is King's verdict communicated to the reader?
7. What is Steve's verdict?
8. Whom does Steve attempt to hug when he hears his verdict?
9. How is Steve's verdict communicated visually to the reader?
10. What does Steve's mother do when the verdict is read?
11. How does the screenplay describe the last image of Steve just after his verdict is read?
Chapter 12, December, 5 Months Later
1. How many months after the trial is the last chapter of the book?
2. What is James King's sentence?
3. What is Osvaldo arrested for?
4. Why, according to Steve, does everything he does please his mother?
5. According to Steve, what happens to the distance between his father and himself after the
6. What does Steve say about what his father thinks of him after the trial?
7. Who is helping Steve film some of this movie after the trial?
8. After the trial, what is Steve mostly filming?
9. In what month does the last chapter of the book take place?
10. In the last chapter, how long has it been since the robbery and Mr. Nesbitt's death?