• What is Haptic Technology?
• History of Haptic Technology
• Current Uses of Haptic Technology
• Future uses of Haptic Technology
• Issues with Haptic Technology
What is Haptic Technology?
• The work Haptic, comes from the Greek
word (haptesthai), which means
pertaining to the sense of touch
• Haptic Technology is technology that
involves the use of touch, motions, or
History of Haptic Technology
• The earliest machines that used haptic interaction with remote
objects were simple lever-and-cable-actuated tongs placed at the
end of a pole. By Squeezing the Grip a worker could control the
tongs and grip objects.
• Eventually, scientists developed designs that replaced mechanical
connections with motors and electronic signals. This made it
possible to communicate even subtle hand actions to a remote
manipulator more efficiently than ever before.
• The next advancement came with computers and
3-D images which allowed for sound and sight but not yet touch.
History of Haptic Technology cont.
• In 1993, the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology (MIT) constructed a device that delivered
haptic stimulation, Which made it possible to touch and feel a
computer generated object.
Current uses of Haptic Technology
• Most commonly used in video games /
• Touch screen monitors/ phones/ Ipods
• Training simulations
• Medical equipment
Products that use Haptic Technology
Future of Haptic Technology
• Continuous evolution of touch screen technology
• Medical equipment allowing doctors to perform
operations from various locations
Issues with Haptic Technology
• Hard to implement touch and feeling to
• Still a developing technology
• Hard to repair
• Product malfunctions could be a problem