ASSOCIATION OF CHARITABLE FOUNDATIONS
PERSON SPECIFICATION FOR
INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (maternity leave cover)
1. A high level of intellectual and analytical ability is required. This may be
evidenced by a degree, a relevant professional qualification, or by working at
a level of complexity comparable to this post.
2. Skills and Experience
1. Experience in the field of communications or information management in the
voluntary, private or public sector, including experience in developing
electronic communication with different stakeholders.
2. Excellent writing skills, with the ability to adapt style to suit the needs of
different external audiences – always clear and jargon free but also able to be
persuasive and to ‘market’ our services to current and potential members.
3. Good understanding of the work and environment of the voluntary and
4. Up-to-date experience of using a website content management system.
5. Excellent proof reading and editing skills.
6. Competent use of the office systems relevant to fulfilling the job duties and
responsibilities, ie. windows-based word processing system, Excel,
PowerPoint and Microsoft Outlook, Adobe Acrobat.
7. Experience of maintaining databases, retrieving and analysing data, and
supporting other database users.
8. Commitment to implementing equality and diversity policies, empathy for
and commitment to ACF’s aims and core values, and assisting ACF in
delivering its commitment to being a more environmentally responsible
1. Experience of working in a grant-making environment and awareness of the
regulatory and legislative framework governing the activities of the
independent grant-making sector.
2. An eye for design with experience of the design and production of a wide
range of different formats, including e-bulletins, newsletters, leaflets, flyers,
forms and publications.
3. Experience of using Indesign desk top publishing software.
4. Experience of marketing products or services to different audiences.
5. Good oral communication skills.
6. Experience of working in a small team.
3. Personal Qualities
1. Excellent interpersonal skills; the ability to deal in a helpful, friendly and
professional way with people from a range of different backgrounds.
2. Team player, self motivated and adaptable.
3. Able to use own initiative and respond to instruction.
4. Well organised, with the ability to work well under pressure, meet deadlines,
and deal effectively with challenging situations and people.
5. Highly developed sense of personal integrity.