Columbian Exchange Internet Scavenger Hunt
THE COLUMBIAN EXCHANGE Questions 1 -3
1. List the five most important touchable things that were exchanged the between Old and New World.
2. When Columbus and other Europeans arrived in America, an exchange of ideas began. List the three important ideas
shown in the chart.
3. What was the most significant (important) change brought about by the arrival of Columbus and other Europeans in the
Colonial Virginia: The Tobacco Economy Question 4 -6
4. Where did tobacco originate?
5. What effect did tobacco have on the Jamestown colony?
6. What effect did demand for tobacco have on labor in the North American colonies?
CHANGES BROUGHT ABOUT BY ENCOUNTER BETWEEN ... WORLDS Questions 7-11
7a. List five diseases introduced to the Americas by the Spanish.
7b. What percent of native populations died from 1519 to 1820, due to these diseases and others?
8. How did the introduction of horses change life in America? Why?
9. What negative impact did non-native animals have on the New World?
10. Which non-native plant impacted (harmed/changed) life in America most?
Explain your answer.
11. In your opinion, what were the five most important "technologies" introduced to America by Europeans? Give a brief
explanation for each ranking.
CHANGES BROUGHT ABOUT BY ENCOUNTER BETWEEN...WORLDS Questions 12-15
12. How did the introduction of maize in Africa lead to industrialization in Europe? Explain or draw the chain of events.
13. What crop became the basic food for people all over the world and led to a population explosion in Germany and
14. What country grew 80% of the world's sweet potatoes in 1986? From what country did sweet potatoes originate?
15. What advantage do corn and potatoes offer over grains such as wheat, barley, and rye?
The Columbian Biological Exchange Question 16 - 22
16. What disease was spread from the Native Americans to Europeans?
17. What are 3 animals that were brought from the old world to the new?
18. What are 3 animals that were brought from the new world to the old?
19. What are 3 food crops brought from the new world to the old?
20. What are 3 food crops brought from the old world to the new?
21. Explain this quote: "Columbus' voyages helped to set in motion patterns of cultural diffusion that have continued."
22. How has cultural diffusion transformed life in both hemispheres? Give three examples.