SAMURANG GAMES 2012
Forms & Self Defense Contests Competition Rules:
This information applies to forms and self defense:
1. Although athletes may be divided in groups by age and rank, they will be scored based on individual merit, relative to their
age and rank, and not judged against the other athletes. Award is based on scoring table below.
2. Black belts who receive a final score of “Gold” will be eligible for the Grand Champion Contest. A Grand Champion
competition will not be held unless there are at least three competitors in the division. For grand champion only, this will
be scored in traditional number system. A competitor may receive only one grand champion forms award. Only those
competitors grouped in adv’d/black belt division are eligible for Grand champion.
3. No music is allowed.
Additional Taekwondo Gumdo & Partner Form Rules
1. This is an open style contest; all forms standardized within a formal martial arts system are accepted.
2. Contestants must present a form in range of their rank. No creative or extreme forms.
Additional Gumdo & Open Weapon Form Rules –
1. No sharpened weapons are allowed. If a weapon is dropped by the contestant, the contestant will be penalized one
award level by the center referee. Judging table for presentation
2. As to Open Weapons only, creative forms are accepted however extreme awards – forms & self defense
gymnastic moves are not allowed. Judge 1 Judge 2 Judge 3 Award
Addt’l Partner / Group Form / Synchronized Form Rules Gold Gold Gold Gold
1. Presented with 2 – 4 people, male or female, may have variety of ranks. Gold Gold Silver Gold
2. Synchronized means all of the moves are the same & executed at the Gold Gold Bronze Gold
same time from start to finish.
Gold Silver Bronze Silver
3. Team may have members face multiple directions for the performance
and contestants may mirror their partners in their presentation. Silver Silver Gold Silver
Silver Silver Silver Silver
Additional Self Defense Rules
1. Two divisions: Tactical demonstration or Entertainment (action movie Silver Silver Bronze Silver
style.) Bronze Bronze Gold Bronze
2. Up the 3 members per team. One minute max. Bronze Bronze Silver Bronze
3. Present self defense, combat or a battle scene that is choreographed. Bronze Bronze Bronze Bronze
Blunt edge weapons and dialog are allowed
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
Taekwondo and Sponge Sword Sparring Rules:
This information applies to both Gumdo and Taekwondo:
1. Continuous sparring matches. All matches will be two rounds, 1 ½ minutes per round, with a 30 second rest between
2. All competitors will be divided into groups of two and compete in one match. Winners of each round are scored by
flags. Most flags win the match. An absolute tie will result in a tie – no overtime/ sudden death.
3. Equipment is required. Coaches are permitted.
Taekwondo: Equipment and Sparring Rules (All Ages)
1. Kick with foot and straight punch to torso are legal (scoring) techniques.
2. Color belts: ANY contact to face or head with foot or hand is gum jun and disqualification from the match.
3. Black belts: Controlled contact with foot to headgear is legal (scoring) technique. Excessive contact to headgear with
kick is either loss of round or match depending on severity. Any contact to the face (not headgear) with foot, or any contact
with hand to face or headgear, is either loss of round or match depending on severity or intent.
4. Exception to color belt/black belt head contact: incidental contact which will be reviewed by judges & decision made
Gumdo: Equipment and Sparring Rules (All Ages)
1. Target area is the torso (front and sides) and head (top, front, sides) and top of shoulder.
2. Control contact rule tournament. A contestant will be disqualified, by the referee, for a malicious strike to an
opponent that causes injury.
3. Infractions are: Striking an opponent with one hand on the sword, dropping your sword and striking illegal area.
Criteria for determining the winner:
Each round is judged on a superiority basis: Offense: Setting up opponent and scoring to legal scoring areas.
Higher score for the use of speed, faking or luring to create scoring opportunities, and also for the use of higher level
techniques (spinning kicks, jump spinning kicks) and kicks that score to the headgear; Defense; and Control.
Festival Events: See each Festival Event for their rules. Certain festival events are grand champion