Chapter 5 System Software
1. Which of the following is not a system software program type?
B. Device drivers
C. Language translators
2. This type of program performs specific tasks related to managing computer resources.
B. Operating system
C. Language translator
D. Device driver
3. Which of the following is not a function of the operating system?
A. Manage resources
B. Internet access
C. Provide a user interface
D. Load and run applications
4. In many application programs, this feature is used to provide information or request input.
C. Dialog boxes
5. This type of boot occurs when the computer is already on and you restart it without turning
off the power.
A. Generic boot
B. Live boot
C. Warm boot
D. Cold boot
6. In a computer system, data and programs are stored as
7. In a network operating system, this computer coordinates all communication between the
8. Ralph travels extensively, and uses a PDA to access his official e-mails when he is not at
the office. He also has a desktop at his workplace, which downloads a copy of these e-mails
for his records. Identify the categories of operating systems in this example.
A. Network and embedded
B. Embedded and stand-alone
C. Stand-alone and network
D. Network, embedded, and stand-alone
9. The operating system is often referred to as the software environment or
C. foot plate.
10. Most applications developed in the market are typically run on
11. Identify which of the following statements is not true.
A. Microsoft Windows is popular among 90 percent of the market.
B. Windows XP is the most widely used version of Windows.
C. Mac OS is not popular since its features are not easy-to-use.
D. One of the latest versions of Mac OS is called ‘Tiger'.
12. This version of UNIX is receiving a lot of attention recently.
13. Which of the following is a popular and powerful alternative to the Windows operating
B. Embedded OS
C. Mac OS X
14. This open source software is free and available from many sources.
15. Mac OS X is also called
16. Apple computers use which operating system?
B. Be O/S
D. Mac OS
17. Name a feature on a Mac which is an advanced search tool that can rapidly locate files,
folders, and e-mail messages.
18. The next version of Mac OS, which is scheduled to be introduced in late 2006, and allows
appropriately equipped Apple computers to use both Mac OS and Windows XP is called:
19. To safely remove a program from your computer, you might want to use this type of
A. Backup program
B. File compression program
C. Troubleshooting program
D. Uninstall program
20. The Windows troubleshooting utility that identifies and eliminates nonessential files is
A. backup program.
B. file compression program.
C. disk cleanup.
D. uninstall program.
21. After a period of time, a hard disk becomes highly
22. Often operations slow down because when a file is retrieved, it is reconstructed from
fragments and after a period of time, the _____ becomes highly fragmented.
D. hard disk
23. A computer can become infected with viruses in the following ways, except
A. by opening attachments to e-mail messages.
B. by downloading software from the Internet.
C. by downloading files from the web.
D. by creating a new folder on your computer.
24. Goback Personal Edition is a part of
A. McAfee Office.
B. Norton SystemWorks.
C. V Communications SystemSuite.
D. Visual Studio.
25. Whenever you add a new peripheral to a computer system, this must be installed before you
can use it.
C. Device driver
D. Norton SystemWorks
26. System software is a single program.
27. System software cannot handle technical details without user intervention.
28. Many older operating systems were originally developed using a GUI.
29. Starting or restarting a computer is called tasking the system.
30. PDAs generally include a network operating system.
31. A folder cannot contain other folders.
32. A standard desktop computer comes with an embedded operating system.
33. In a network environment, the network server computer coordinates all communications
between the other computers.
34. The most popular microcomputer operating system today with over 90 percent of the
market is Mac OS.
35. Apple computers generally use the Windows operating system.
36. The UNIX operating system was originally designed for PDAs.
37. Linux is one of the most popular and powerful alternatives to the Windows operating
38. Programs such as word processors are known as utilities.
39. You can guard your computer against viruses using an antivirus program.
40. You can safely remove programs from your computer by using a backup program.
41. On a disk, a track is a concentric ring, and each track is divided into wedge-shaped sections
42. Running Disk Defragmenter does not improve system performance.
43. Web Cleanup is a collection of programs that find and fix problems, improve system
performance and prevent problems from occurring.
44. For all devices, the appropriate drivers are automatically selected and installed when the
device is first connected to the computer system.
45. When you check a file for viruses, the VirusScan compares the file to the profile of known
viruses, and if a virus is detected then the file is quarantined or deleted.