INTRODUCTION TO MS
What is PowerPoint?
• Presentation software is used to present
ideas, facts or concepts to a group of
• Ideal for team briefings, selling, training
and promotional purposes.
• PowerPoint files have the extension .ppt.
How can PowerPoint be used?
• Presentation packages are programs that
assist in the production and delivery of a
• The presentation can be used in different
– Print onto paper for handouts
– Print onto OHT
– Present electronically on a computer screen
What are the features of
• PowerPoint provides expertly designed
backgrounds and colour combinations for
you to use.
• You can add text, graphics, charts and
• Special effects such as transitions,
animation and timing can add to the show
• Speakers notes and handouts are available.
What is an AutoLayout?
• Layouts are
have been set
up to hold text
or other objects.
•There are 24 to choose from.
How can I insert a new slide?
• Insert Menu… New Slide
• Control M
• Select from Common Tasks Menu
What views are available?
• Slide View - enables you to enter and edit data
on each slide.
• Outline View - enables you to view the headings
and text of your slides.
• Slide Sorter View - shows a miniature of each
• Notes Pages - you can type notes to remember
key points of each slide.
• Slide Show - to view your presentation.
What is a background design?
• A template is a
complete design for
• Only one template can
be applied to a
• Choose Format Menu,
Is Help Available?
• Click on F1 whilst
viewing a PowerPoint
Presentation for a help
• (Press F1 now and
practice changing your
mouse pointer to a pen,
draw something and then
Can I change the colour scheme?
• A colour scheme is a
set of eight colours
which have been
designed with your
• Yes, click on Apply.
What is transition?
• A transition is
the effect that
occurs when a
slide is first
when you move
from slide to
What is animation?
• Refers to
What are some design tips?
• Each slide should cover a single concept or
idea/Use white space effectively.
• Ensure all fonts are legible and not too
• Be consistent with design concepts.
• Appropriately pitched at audience.
• Use special effects sparingly.
What are some more design tips?
• Use White space effectively - expand on
main points verbally
• Limit the text, use point form and cover a
single idea or concept with each slide
• Maintain font size that can be read from the
back of the venue.
• Colours affect moods - choose appropriately
That’s it, I’ve Finished.