• Export transactions may begin with an
inquiry from abroad for a price quotation.
Find out how much they will pay. Locate a
potential buyers though local trade
• Get commitment of sale with an invoice,
including terms of sale. (Including price,
quantity, shipping dates, and delivery.)
• U.S. exporter and
foreign buyer agree
to the details of the
• Buyer sends purchase order to the exporter.
• Exporter prepares commercial invoice.
bank to open
a letter of
• Buyers bank issues the letter of credit to the
• U.S. bank prepares a letter of confirmation.
• Exporter selects carrier and
transmits the bil-of-lading and
delivery instructions. The
carrier prepares dock receipts,
which will be signed after
• The exporters send the
invoice and export
lading, dock receipt,
packing list, and letter
Packing List of instruction.) to
• Carrier selects shipping vessel and books
• Carrier delivers
the goods to
• After receipt and
exporters bank pays
accordance with the
letter of credit
previously issued by
the buyer’s bank.
• Evaluate your
process so it’s
easier next time.