PEER EDITING CHECKLIST
As a peer editor, you have the chance to assist one of your classmates in their writing. This is a
big responsibility; one that should not be taken lightly. As you edit his/her essay, please do the
best job that you possibly can. Doing so will not only help your classmate, but you will gain in
the process. Being able to find mistakes in the writing of others, will help you to look for and
find mistakes in your own writing. Therefore, you will become a better writer!
1. Switch essays with classmates. You DO NOT have to edit the paper of the person editing
2. Read the essay through once without stopping to make any corrections.
3. Read the essay through and then answer these questions completely:
A. List the strengths of the paper.
B. List the weaknesses of the paper.
C. Which part of the writing did you find most interesting? Why?
D. Which part of the writing might the writer make more interesting? EXPLAIN
HOW YOU WOULD SUGGEST HE/SHE DO THIS.
E. Are there any parts of the paper difficult to understand? Explain.
F. Tell the writer TWO SPECIFIC things to do to improve this paper. Give some
suggestions if possible.
4. Complete the following checklist.
Content Strong Needs Work
1. Good Beginning _____ _____
2. Good ideas and creative content _____ _____
3. Personal and interesting writing style _____ _____
4. Provides enough details, examples, and explanations _____ _____
5. Contains vivid language _____ _____
6. Good ending _____ _____
Organization Strong Needs Work
1. Ideas presented in a logical order _____ _____
2. Ideas are expressed clearly _____ _____
3. Utilizes paragraphs correctly _____ _____
4. All sentences are complete in thought _____ _____
5. Sentence structure is varied _____ _____
Mechanics Strong Needs Work
1. Correct grammar and usage _____ _____
2. Follows the rules of capitalization _____ _____
3. Follows the rules of punctuation _____ _____
4. Follows the rules of correct spelling _____ _____
5. Paper is neat and legible _____ _____
5. Sign your name to the rough draft.
6. Sign this and attach it to your partner’s rough draft and return it.
Peer Edited by _________________________________________________