• $700 Billion in Product Liability from
Consumer Products Annually
• Consumers Are Not Effectively Notified
Once Product Hazards are Discovered
• Deaths, Injury and Property Damage
Continue Even After Product Recall
Suffocation hazard may not be apparent for months; users
may not find out for years. Recall currently ineffective.
Thirteen children died of suffocation like this between
1991-1998 because of an ineffective recall.
ReadyTrace Recall Notification System
• Product Centric Notification
• No User Registration Required
• Rapid Simultaneous Notice to
Products Being Recalled
• Improves Recall Efficacy
From 10-30% to 90-100%
ReadyTrace Recall Notification System
The ReadyTrace Idea
• Manufacturer notifies ReadyTrace of recall
• Wireless notification of consumers
– Single transmitting station covering CONUS
– Product Notice Receivers in products activate alert
– Consumer directed to recall website or hotline by
indicia near alert indicator
• Disabling of very dangerous products
• Manufacturer provides instruction or repair kit
directly to consumers responding to alert
• Reduced Recall Costs
– Eliminates Cost of Registering Users
– No Recall Notification Costs
• Reduced Product Liability
– Lower Insurance Premiums
– Defense to Product Liability Law Suits
• Safety Conscious Public Image
• Radio Beacon in the central continental U.S.
• Low frequency, frequency-shift-keying signal
(like that used for submarines) to reach the
lower 48 states.
• Broadcasts will be repeated to ensure receipt of
the recall signal.
• After receipt of the signal, the indicator on the
PNR will be activated only upon product use.
• PNR permanently records receipt of signal for
WWVB Controlled Clocks
(ReadyTrace Signal >100uV/M at midnight for red areas.)
Safety Recalls are regulated in the targeted
markets by the following agencies:
• Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
– Juvenile Products
– Tools, Equipment, and Appliances
• National Highway Transportation Safety
– Automobiles, Trucks, Buses, Motorcycles
– Child Car Seats
• Proposed recall legislation mandating
registration cards without marketing survey
content for certain products is pending.
• A possible alternative to the registration card is
“electronic” means, including ReadyTrace.
• ReadyTrace will meet with the congressperson
and senator pushing this legislation in
Washington, DC to inform them about the
ReadyTrace capability and its advantages.
ReadyTrace customers are all manufacturers of
products potentially subject to recall. Those
targeted for initial marketing efforts include:
• Juvenile Products
• Tools and Equipment
Other key industries include sporting goods,
medical apparatus, and appliances.
• Manufacturers strongly motivated by SAFETY
• Improved efficacy of recall at comparable cost
will make ReadyTrace products attractive
• Key initial targets for Product Notice Receiver
(PNR) inclusion have a potential usage of over
20 million PNR’s/year, and include:
– Car Seats
– Strollers, Bikes
– Cribs, Playyards, Bassinets, Swings, and High Chairs
Tools and Equipment
• Manufacturers motivated by possibility of serious
injury and ability to market improvements.
• Construction companies and unions and
individual users are more motivated by safety.
• Key products for initial marketing efforts have a
potential PNR usage of almost 150 million per
year and include:
– Table Saws
– Circular Saws
– Lawn Mowers
– Air Compressors
• Manufacturers are strongly motivated by cost -
there are 180 million products recalled per year.
• There are over 40 million new automobiles
made each year, 20 million in the USA.
• This means that there are about 9 recalls per
year for every new car made in the USA.
• A single chip per vehicle that will handle recalls
of all components of that vehicle will save much
more than the cost of incorporating the chip.
ReadyTrace Product Notice Receivers (PNRs):
• RT0301- FSK receiver chip with time clock, in-
use detector, non-volatile memory, wireless
programming, product disable.
• RT0302 - adds text messaging to RT0301.
• RT0303 - AC powered RT0301.
• RT0304 - interrogates components (automotive).
• RTM01- battery powered self-contained module
including the RT0301 chip
VLF FSK DATA LED0
DETECTOR DEMOD FRAMER LED1
USRACK CONTROL CLOCK
Programming the PNR
PRODUCTION LINE XXXXXXX
Child Car Seats
CHILD CAR SEAT:
• National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
(NHTSA) mandated Registration Cards (1993)
• Existing efficacy
– About 20% registration card return rate to mfgrs.
– Video news release, no paid advertising
– Effective notification estimated to be less than 30%
• With ReadyTrace PNR
– Cost of car seat increased by about $1.50
– Achieve 90%-100% notification without news release