the Best Medicine
And a nice waky… I mean, way to
practice English (understanding!)
▶adjective (funnier, funniest)
• 1 causing laughter or
• 2 strange; peculiar.
• 3 arousing suspicion: there
was something funny going on.
• humor /ˈhjuːmə(r)/ (BRIT humour)
• 1 the quality of being amusing, especially as
expressed in literature or speech. ■ the
ability to appreciate or express humor.
• 2 a state of mind: her good humor
vanished. ■ archaic an inclination or whim.
• 3 (also cardinal humour) historical each of
four fluids of the body (blood, phlegm,
yellow bile or choler, and black bile or
melancholy), formerly thought to
determine a person's physical and mental
• Now, let’s see what some famous people say about
Laughter is an instant
Tell me what you laugh at, and
I’ll tell you who you are.
Life is improvisation.
But we could say this is the rule for comedy today…
It’s the duty of the comedian to
find out where the line is drawn
and cross it deliberately.
We’ll begin by stating some things you can and can’t do while
writing jokes in general.
Do’s and Don’ts of Humor Writing
• Don’t use bad or restricted language.
• Don’t focus on a specific gender, racial or ethnic group. No
one will be offended if you focus on yourself.
• Don’t use written humor if it distracts people from the
lesson, only use it if it makes the lesson better.
• Don’t use humor that mixes up your message.
• Do have the frame of mind to write, and use your
• Do check your work.
• Do make a link between yourself and the audience.
• Do remember to be surprising.
Now see if you can understand what the fun is in each of the following jokes from
famous comedians from the USA and England:
How many people here have telekinetic
Raise my hand.
What if there were no hypothetical
Why are women wearing perfumes that smell like flowers to
attract men? Men don’t like flowers. I wear a scent called
As long as there is algebra, there will be
prayer in school.
Don’t touch that dial. And, if your TV has a
dial, go buy a new one.
Batman never fights crime in
neighborhoods that need it. I’d like
to see Batman fight crime in my
“Didn’t we park the car
right here, man?”
I went into a McDonald’s yesterday and said,
“I’d like some fries.” The girl at the
counter said, “Would you like some fries
Have you ever noticed that anybody going
slower than you is an idiot and anyone
going faster than you is a maniac?
I constantly walk into a room and I don’t remember
why. But for some reason, I think there’s going to
be a clue in the fridge.
I am not afraid of death. I just don’t want to be
there when it happens.
When I was a little kid, we had a quicksand box. I
was an only child … eventually.
My wife has tons of credit
cards. She has so many
magnetic strips in her
wallet, her purse points
Ok, people, now it’s your turn...
Think you’re funny? SHOW US!!