Physics Chapter 5 Review Problems Name: ____________________________________________
1a) What is the velocity of the object after 2.0 seconds?
b) What is the displacement of the object from 1.0 to 5.0
c) What is the total displacement of the object?
d) Where is the object after 2.0 seconds?
Assume all data is measured to two significant digits.
2a) What is the displacement of the object with the given
b) What is the velocity of the object at 4.5 seconds?
c) What is the acceleration of the object at 4.5 seconds?
3) A golf ball leaves a tee at a speed of 2.0 × 102 km/h after being accelerated for 0.56 milliseconds.
What is the ball’s average acceleration in m/s2?
4) A jogger runs at a speed of 3.0 m/s for 10 minutes, but then stops because he’s thirsty. After a
minute of thought, he decides to walk back to a vendor he saw 180 m back at a speed of 1.0 m/s.
Five minutes later, he jogs back home at 3.0 m/s.
a) Create a velocity-time graph for the jogger’s a) Create a position-time graph for the jogger’s
trip. (Use seconds as the unit of time.) trip.
5) The speed of light is approximately 3.0 × 108 m/s. What is the speed of light in miles per hour?
(1 mile = 1.609 km)
6) A falling ball has a speed of 8.5 m/s. 0.78 seconds later, just after
it bounces, the ball has a speed of 5.9 m/s. What is the ball’s g = 9.80 m/s2 or 32.2 ft/s2
average acceleration over this time period? 1 miles = 1609 m
7) While jumping, a flea's legs can give it an acceleration of 2.0 ×
103 m/s2. After jumping, the flea reaches a height of 36 mm.
a) How fast does the flea leave the ground?
b) How long does the take-off acceleration last?
8) While descending at a constant speed of 1.0 m/s, a scuba diver releases a cork, which
accelerates upward at 3.0 m/s2. What is the diver’s depth when the cork reaches the surface 2.0 s
9) A car with a velocity of 27 m/s slows down at a rate of −8.5 m/s2 to a stop in a distance of 43 m
on a dry road. The same car traveling at 27 m/s slows down at a rate of −6.5 m/s2 to a stop on a
a) How much farther does the car travel on the wet road before coming to a stop?
b) What maximum car speed will allow the car traveling on the wet road to stop in a distance of 43
10) The engine of a toy rocket supplies an average acceleration of 38.0 m/s2 to the rocket for an
interval of 0.80 seconds.
a) If the toy rocket is launched vertically, how high does it rise in this interval?
b) How fast is the rocket moving at the end of 0.80 s?
c) What maximum altitude does the rocket reach before falling back to Earth?
d) How long does it take the rocket to reach this altitude?
11) An asteroid moving towards the sun accelerates from a velocity of 63.0 mph to 87.0 m/s over
1.00 minute. Calculate the asteroid’s acceleration in m/s/s.
(The problems below are from page 111 of your textbook.)
36) Draw a position-time graph for two cars driving to the beach, which is 50 km from school. At
noon Car A leaves a store 10 km closer to the beach than the school is and drives at 40 km/h. Car
B starts from school at 12:30pm and drives at 100 km/h. When does each car get to the beach?
40) Refer to Figure 5–26 to find the distance the moving
object travels between:
a) t = 0 s and t = 5 s.
b) t = 5 s and t = 10 s.
c) t = 10 s and t = 15 s.
d) t = 0 s and t = 25 s.
45) Use Figure 5–26 to find the acceleration of the moving object:
a) during the first 5 seconds of travel.
b) between the fifth and the tenth second of travel.
c) between the tenth and the 15th second of travel.
d) between the 20th and 25th second of travel.
58) Rocket-powered sleds are used to test the responses of humans to acceleration. Starting from
rest, one sled can reach a speed of 444 m/s in 1.80 s and can be brought to a stop again in 2.15 s.
a) Calculate the acceleration of the sled when starting, and compare it to the magnitude of the
acceleration due to gravity; 9.80 m/s2.
b) Find the acceleration of the sled when braking and compare it to the magnitude of the
acceleration due to gravity.
70) A weather balloon is floating at a constant height above Earth when it releases a pack of
a) If the pack hits the ground with a velocity of –73.5 m/s, how far did the pack fall?
b) How long did it take for the pack to fall?
Physics Chapter 5 Review Problems Answer Key
1a) 1.0 m/s 4b)
1b) 2.0 m 36)
1c) –1.0 m
1d) 3.0 m
2a) 8.0 m
2b) 0.50 m/s
2c) −1.0 m/s2
5) 6.7 × 108 mph Both cars arrive at the beach
6) 18 m/s
7a) 0.84 m/s 40a) 75 m
7b) 4.2 × 10−4 s 40b) 150 m
3) 9.9 × 104 m/s2 8) −6.0 m 40c) 125 m
9a) 13 m 40d) 500 m
4a) 9b) 24 m/s
45a) 6 m/s2
10a) 12 m 45b) 0 m/s2
10 b) 45c) −2 m/s2
10c) 58 m 45d) −4 m/s2
10d) 3.9 s
11) 0.179 m/s2 58a) 247 m/s2
58b) −207 m/s2; 21.1 times g
70a) −276 m
70b) 7.50 s