52006

Document Sample
52006 Powered By Docstoc
					Minutes of the May 5, 2006 Maui Community College Academic Senate Meeting

Present: Daniel Kruse, Laura Lees, Kate Acks, Ann Emmsley, Alf Wolf, Wallette
Pellegrino, Sandra Swanson, Derek Snyder, Don Ainsworth, Malia Johnson, Lillian
Mangum, Frannie Coopersmith, Cyrilla Pascual, Lorelle Peros, Crystal Alberto, Colleen
Shishido, Michele Katsutani, Jan Moore, Elisabeth Armstrong, Pat Adams, Diane Meyer,
Juli Umetsu, Teresa Shurilec, Sally Irwin, Renee Riley, Mark Hoffman, Lee Stein, Chuck
Carletta, Dorothy Tolliver, Steve George, Kaleikoa Kaeo, C. Kulamanu Vorhies, BK
Griesemer, Marge Kelm, flo wiger, and Suzette Robinson.

Meeting called to order at 1:38 p.m. without quorum.


I. Standing Committee Reports
1. Curriculum Committee
Don Ainsworth reported that 95 curriculum changes were passed for the fall semester.

2. Budget Committee
David Tamanaha reported the following:

a. David Tamanaha presented the legislature’s 2006 budget spreadsheet for Maui
Community College. The number one priority for the budget is to restore MCC’s budget
shortfall due to utility expenses. MCC’s utility bill is the largest of all campuses.
Legislature came through with the full amount for MCC. Currently this means 1.5 million
dollars for electricity.

b. The Construction Academy was initiated with Honolulu Community College, not the
Department of Education (D.O.E).
flo wiger clarified that the Construction Academy will move students from high school
into apprenticeship through college level courses.
Pat Adams clarified that the instructor positions are currently temporary positions.

c. David Tamanaha reported the legislature has added 5.5 positions for Outreach and
rent to hold Culinary Arts classes in Hana using D.O.E. facilities.

d. Community College Appropriations list
MCC got almost everything requested. Hawaii Community College and Honolulu
Community College received the majority of the funds for the Construction Academy.

e. FY 2006 Emergency Allocation
Community colleges received 2.5 million; $742,636 has already been earmarked for
MCC for this fiscal year. MCC campus has relied on RTRF to support electric bills, so
now RTRF will be reimbursed $429,766. Five years ago Governor Cayetano lagged the
payroll and now $135,180 has been carried over.
Of the $250,000 loan MCC took out, $100,000 has already been paid off.
MCC’s portion of the external audit for accreditation costs is $8571.
General funds went over budget by $19,119. This is how the electricity bill will be paid.

f. FY 2007 Use of electrical relief funds draft.
There has been a mandate set forth for all CC’s to create an emergency reserve. This
will reduce reliance on RTRF and reduce risk of audits.
flo wiger added that if we’re able to hire biology instructor positions now, MCC will
readjust to hold for another year.
Suzette Robinson added that the biology and English positions have been identified as
part of the Nursing Program need.
flo wiger added that because nursing demands are rising, the math, sciences, and
English will be needed to support this need.
David Tamanaha reported that the use of additional tuition money; the current $49 per
credit will cost $58 per credit in Fall 2006). Based on the enrollment from Fall 2004, this
should bring in about $278,000, after contributing to collective bargaining and financial
aid.

g. 2007-2008 Biennium Budget proposal
David Tamanaha reported that the proposal, which is on the website, includes new
facility support. There will be five unfrozen positions as of July 1, 2006. Also, the MCC
hiring and purchasing moratorium will end on July 1, 2006. As of March 31, 2006, MCC’s
total special fund deficit equaled $286,578. MCC’s total revolving funds equaled $6775.

h. David Tamanaha reported that the Student Center contractor will begin June 1. There
will be a 40 ft. trailer to store the culinary programs belongings that will be removed for
the renovation. The new building will be a student oriented building. The old bookstore
will become a new student fitness center. The dean of instruction’s old office will house
some culinary program offices. The old Student Government offices will become the new
bookstore. The Student Activities offices will be relocated upstairs. The old Class Act
room will become the chancellor’s office and dean of instruction’s office. The old dining
room will be a multi-purpose room. The building will be fully enclosed, with air
conditioning. The cost was estimated at about $15 million, but the budget has now been
cut in half with many changes to the plans. The projected timeline for construction is
about 18 months.
All old chairs and furniture from the Student Lounge must be removed and claimed.

Diane Meyer added that because of the many new positions, there is a need for more
offices. She suggested that leaders be designated for each building and with help from
Maui County Correctional Center, store rooms be cleaned out.

David Tamanaha also suggested designating a shredder for confidential materials and
getting a dumpster.

Sandra Swanson asked about the status of the mold in Ka Lama. flo wiger reported that
the following three offices have been emptied: Catherine Thompson’s, Jon Pye’s Space
Grant office, and Sean Calder’s.
David added that carpet will need to be taken out and replaced with tile. Use of the
offices will be contingent on the start date of the mold clean up. There are many issues
with mold and air conditioning units; we all need to keep proper hygiene in the
classrooms and offices.

i. David Tamanaha reported that the glass in front of Ka’a’ike will cost about $20,000 to
repair. MCC is still waiting for quotes.

Dan Kruse thanked David for his reports. flo wiger added that one reason MCC has
received all these funds is because David Tamanaha has worked hard to make sure
MCC’s needs have been represented. She thanked David for representing MCC’s case.
3. Procedures and Policy Committee
Michele Katsutani reported that the committee will meet next Monday. She has recently
emailed flo wiger, Clyde Sakamoto, and Alvin Tagomori, asking for their comments on
an academic probation policy. The sister campuses who have policies have reported
pros and cons. For example, one campus didn’t take in roughly $6000 in tuition and fees
because of the policy.

III. Ad Hoc Committee Reports
1. Teaching Improvement
Renee Riley reported that she will present her information from the Skip Downing
Conference she attended in April at the next TIC meeting next week Wednesday or
Friday at 12:00. She will send out an email notice.

2. Elections: Nothing to report

3. International Students
Derek Snyder read Alice Luther’s email report aloud to the Senate. (Please find copy of
email attached.)

4. Baccalaureate
Elaine Yamashita reported that the Baccalaureate committee is reforming and will be
active in the fall. Please email Dan or Elaine if you want to be involved.

5. Civic Engagement
Laura Lees reported that the MCC food drive brought in about 400 lbs. of food. Several
faculty members won the teaching tips for hunger awareness contest; they will each
receive a Borders gift certificate from Molli Fleming. The library has been especially
active by putting out a large food display in the library and generating large amounts of
donations. Pa’ina has also been very supportive by sponsoring discounts with food
donations.

6. Alternative Scheduling
Dan Kruse reported that the committee still needs to be formed.

7. Resident Students
Shane Payba reported the committee met last Friday and has decided to postpone the
MCC open house until February 24, 2007.

There was a general discussion about how many faculty and staff constitute quorum.
Sandra Swanson added that the charter calls for 20% of the eligible list of full time
faculty, lecturers, and APT. She recommended that for the next academic year, Debbie
Brown be contacted for the exact numbers of faculty, lecturers, and APT.

III. New Items
1. Personnel
Diane Meyer reported there are 12 new positions.

2. Commencement
Diane Meyer reported that Commencement will be on May 14 at the Maui Arts and
Cultural Center. Faculty with caps, gowns, and hood should arrive at about noon. There
will be 170 students on stage; this is more than ever. (300 students total are graduating.)
There will be several outstanding faculty awards, student awards, and the valedictorian’s
speech. The total ceremony should be at least an hour and a half.

3. Campus Office Committee
flo wiger reported that Doris Yoshitake will be sending out an email with the date of the
next meeting. Department chairs will be invited to take part in the discussion. Several
potential areas have been identified. Lecturers need to share offices. (In the past several
long term lecturers had their own offices.) Faculty must have their own offices.

IV. Executive Committee Report
flo wiger reported that the committee discussed the new positions and budget.

V. Other Announcements
1. West Maui Ed Center
Suzette Robinson reported that the West Maui Ed Center will have 2 half time casual
hires. Security and air conditioning will be put in and hooked up. There are five rooms: a
large distance education room, a 20 station computer room, a conference room, and
offices. It is expected that non-credit courses will be offered by this summer and credit
courses will begin Fall 2006 at the center. There is one West Maui Coordinator position
opening. The hiring process will begin in the next couple months.

flo wiger reported that two half time people (Myrna Tagomori and Rena Hashiaki) have
been working very extensively to connect the West Maui Ed Center with the community,
by putting out surveys, announcements, and spreading the word.

2. Director of OCET
Suzette Robinson reported the position should be advertised in May, interviews in June,
and selection in August. Hopefully, the position will be filled by fall 2006.

3. Strategic Planning
Suzette Robinson reported an email was sent out to 14 conveners for reports from each
team. Team A, the Ed Management team, led by Malia Davidson, has met every week,
put forth a retention specialist position, and has been meeting its goals. All teams are
encouraged to report to Suzette on what the teams have done, plan to do, and request
for funds. This should be in bullet form and will eventually be placed on the MCC
website. She will send out an email for each convener to respond to.
Suzette suggested that perhaps 14 teams are too many. Because many teams have not
been meeting, perhaps only 6-8 teams are really needed. The current prioritization will
be kept for one more academic year.

4. CDL Certificate through VITEC
Suzette Robinson also reported that the Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) certificate
program through VITEC has been doing well. The program’s current 40 year old truck,
Honey girl, will be replaced, by Tri-Isle’s donated 25 year-old truck. Currently at 6-8
students, the CDL program should be able to double. The truck will be in the County Fair
parade.

5. Reorganization
Pat Adams reported that she emailed the fairly-final draft of the reorganization proposal
around campus. She thanked everyone for taking the time to review the documents. Last
week there was a Polycom conference with Sandra Ueno and Mike Yu, both of whom
gave only minor editing suggestions, no major changes. The deadline for the proposal is
the end of May, then the proposal will go to the UH system, then the Union, and finally to
Board of Regents in the fall. This project, which began 4 and a half years ago, is finally
coming to an end.

6. System Community College (CC)Committee
Dan Kruse reported that just this year the CC system level office has been re-
established by the system ACCJC. John Morton, vice-president of the CC’s. This
position is not the same as the old system office, but more of a coordinating position.

7. MCC Today Show
BK Greisemer reported that she just finished a segment with Mark Slattery and Dot
Hansen for Habitat for Humanity. She would like to highlight how MCC reaches out into
the community. As host, she has been responsible for the pre-work and programming,
and she is now ready for a new host. People do watch the show and programs aired do
get results. There will be a segment in the fall on “What’s this thing called accreditation?”

8. Accreditation
BK Greisemer thanked Pat for all of her editing work. She also thanked everyone for
serving on the various accreditation committees and for attending the open forums. Pat
will make sense of the rough drafts that each committee has given her; then the
revisions will be reposted in the same website; afterwards the drafts will be sent to
Honolulu for review; and then the final draft will be completed. Sandra Swanson has kept
up all archived drafts and has been maintaining the website.
BK also clarified that accreditation very seldom gets involved with the area of college
organization. The accreditation team cannot come in and change or fix MCC issues.
Instead, the team comes in, examines the standards, asks if MCC is meeting those
standards, asks if the monetary resources are sufficient to run the college, asks if MCC
has a plan, and finally, makes recommendations if standards are not being met. In the
fall, department chairs will continue to meet and gather evidence. The accreditation team
will visit MCC Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of the third week of October, looking
for evidence such as minutes and SLO work. At 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, the visit will end
with an exit interview. In January, the team will send the letter with the report.

Pat Adams thanked BK Greisemer for all of her hard work on this project.

9. Business Process
Dan Kruse reported that there has been much feedback about the length and difficulty of
business processes at the system and MCC levels. For example, he reported that one
grant expired before funds were spent. This has led some faculty and staff to hesitate in
pursuing grants because of the paperwork involved in acquiring the funds. Dan Kruse
suggested that business process reengineering could be implemented for more efficient
paperwork across the campus, not only of the business office.
Sandra Swanson asked if the Academic Senate has the authority to make changes.
Dan Kruse reported that the process is part of a system level issue and that system
faculty senate chair meetings could be where the discussion begins.
Sally Irwin suggested that the Business office hold a yearly meeting for the campus
report changes or updates to the business process.
flo wiger encouraged the Senate to take this through the appropriate committees and
channels. There is a strong level of frustration throughout the system, especially with
administrators, about business processes. She also suggested that the Senate go to
John Morton with specific examples.
Kalei Kaeo suggested that there be one day for a training or business process workshop
to discuss these topics. He wanted to support the Business office and agree that the
process becomes even more complicated with a lot of back and forth. In a previous job,
business processes were electronic, and one could track the status of the process at all
times. For example, an error with a purchase order would automatically be emailed to
him.

There was discussion about the difficulty of travel paperwork, service mentality of those
involved in the processes, positions responsible for the various stages of each process,
problems arising after Merv left the Business office, and which body has the authority to
handle this issue.

Dan Kruse reported that this will be discussed in the fall.

flo wiger added that Howard Tota, the new fiscal person, will have a better handle on the
business process. The legislature will need to be willing to step back and let each
campus handle the business issues.

10. Islands of the World Conference
Frannie Coopersmith reported that the conference will begin on July 28. She
encouraged MCC faculty and staff to sign up to help out or participate. There will be an
excursion from July 29-30, and the conferences will begin July 31-August 2. During the
conference, there will be morning sessions at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center (no
registration fee) and then 5 concurrent afternoon sessions. She requested help with
registration and hosts for the concurrent sessions. The event is supported by SLIM and
the Sea grant.

Dan reported that he and Suzette went to the conference in Taiwan. The experience was
like a miniature United Nations because 40 countries were represented.

11. League of Innovations 2006
Cyrilla Pascual reported that she attended the conference in Georgia. She collected
many handouts and attended several workshops, including one with Ruth Stiehl. She
has much to share. For now, she will put the handouts and Powerpoint presentations in
Carrie office in Ka Lama. In the future she recommends that attendees go in pairs to the
conference.

12. Videostreaming
Dan Kruse reported for John Dunnecliffe that RDP can control which streaming videos
go out on the internet.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:30p.m.