Build Leaders to Serve All Our Members!
Fred Arnold September 18, 2008
Ways to Think Outside the Box and
• Teach Leaders the basics
• Most important lesson
• Help develop “Daily Disciplines”
• Thinking “Outside the Box”
• Cross Training made fun
The Communication Basics
• Words create only 7% of the communication
• Tonality creates 38% of the communication
– Are you speaking at the clients level?
• Non-verbal Body Language creates 55% of the
– What’s your posture?
– How are you dressed?
– What’s their impression of your Credit Union?
Selling a pen
Understand the Platinum Rule
• Golden Rule
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto
• Platinum Rule
“Do unto others as they would have you do
Dr. Tony Alessandra
Know your Members and Employees Highest
– Ask Questions
– Listen and Observe
– Add Value
The #1 Question to Ask!
What is important about_______________ to you?
What are some additional questions you could
Listen and Observe
“If God had wanted us to talk more than
listen, he would have given us two
mouths rather than two ears.”
“People who produce
good results feel good
Ken Blanchard and Robert Lorber
Putting the One Minute Manager to Work
Leaders create mentor/mentee relationships.
Six critical steps:
1) Plan a mentoring session
2) Create a motivational environment
3) Reinforce good behavior
4) Be prepared to discuss solutions
5) Teach and build skills
6) Agree on an action plan!
Questions to ask?
What can we do together to increase productivity?
What training can we give/get you to help you better
serve the member?
What needs do you have or anticipate having that we
can help you meet?
• Create Accountability Partners (Mentors)
• Evaluate their Priorities
• Create a WOW list – Create a Culture
Three C’s of Correcting a Crisis
What’s the Difference Between a Good
Financial Institution and an Exceptional
Let’s Think Outside the Box
• Brain Storming Exercise
– High Cost
– Low Cost
– High Value
– Emotionally Connect
Cross Training Made Fun
• Time to be the star
– Team Members are center stage!
– Play Jeopardy
Team Members Are Center Stage!
• Presentations to the Team
– Presenters – the experts
• Operations, Lending, Back Office
• 10 Minutes
• Use PowerPoint, samples, - Keep it simple
– Leader for the day
• Room Set-up – Motivational environment
• Are Presenters prepared
• Keep the meeting moving
• In charge of gifts
Great Service Organizations
“Providing Great Service is not
something you do to people.
It’s something you do with