In the Beginning…
There was Tic-Tac-Toe, not Pong.
Some Common Misconceptions about the beginning.
The Hippie Rulers of Early Video Games
• Nolan Bushnell and Eastern Philosophy
• Historical Fun Facts
– Early Consoles, Innovation
• Enter the Clones
Enter the Japanese
• Namco enters the Fray
– Yen Shortages
– All Space Invaders arcades
• American Management leery
– Market drags them in despite “Silliness”
• Insane Popularity
– First Video Game Mascot
• Breakfast Cereals
The Great Console Crash
• Nintendo Follows up PacMan with
Donkey Kong –Rides the mascot wave
• Glut of games continues – Innovation
• Tailend of Depression—no one really
cares about the garbage being put out.
• Nintendo Rises with the NES…