• Southeast Asia is located between the Pacific
and Indian Oceans.
• Some Southeast Asian countries are located
on the mainland. Others lie entirely on islands
• The region includes the nations of Brunei,
Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia,
Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore,
Thailand, & Vietnam.
• Between what parallels of latitude does the
majority of Southeast Asia lie?
– 10° S and 30°N
The Movement of Ideas
• The wealth of powerful kingdoms in Southeast
Asia attracted traders who sailed along the
coast from India. Over time, these traders
greatly influenced Southeast Asian culture and
– Buddhism & Hinduism
• Traders from Arabia and India brought Islam
to the Southeast Asia region. Islam was spread
along trade routes.
• What is Islam?
– A religion! The word Islam means "submission", or
the total surrender of oneself to God
– Muslims are people who practice Islam. The world
Muslim means “one who submits to God”
The Muslim influence in Southeast Asia can be
seen in this Indonesian junior high school,
which is run according to Muslim principles.
• Which elements of the photo show Islamic
• When Europeans first sailed to Southeast Asia,
they were interested in trade. Over time, they
established large plantations and eventually
colonized most of the area. (Place)
• What part of Southeast Asia was colonized by
An Independent Thailand
• During the period of European colonialism in
Southeast Asia, Thailand maintained its
• Now, with strong ties to the U.S. and other
countries, Thailand has built a successful
• Bangkok, Thailand’s capital and largest city, is also
the center of the nation’s flourishing economy.
– On of the largest cities in the world. 6.6 million!
– Tourism is a 5 billion dollar business!
Why might tourists want to visit Bangkok?