Minutes of the Kawartha Field Naturalists Directors’ Meeting
held Monday, January 16, 2012 held at the Kennedy / Preston Home.
Present: Brian Barbour, Judy Kennedy, Robbie Preston, Loreen Randall, Gerarda Schouten, Lizz Hoyle
Regrets: Eric Davis, John Vandenberg, Martin Ridgway, Joyce Robinson, Susan Blaney, Dan Bone, Joan Todd
President Brian Barbour called the meeting to order at 7:55 pm.
Brian asked if there were any changes to the minutes of the November 21, 2011 meeting. None. Moved by Brian
Barbour, seconded by Robbie Preston, that the minutes of the November 21, 2011 meeting be accepted as
An updated financial report was reviewed, showing a bank balance of $770.35, and $3,000. in the ING savings
account. As suggested at the last meeting, Gerarda moved the $382.39 from “trails” and listed it under
advertising. She also explained that she is still learning to use Excel, and has not yet created a list of recurring
donations as requested, but will continue to work on it.
There is still an outstanding donation of $1,225. to the Bluebird Ranch. Lorene pointed out that after that
amount was taken out of the ING a/c, the balance would be 1775. and that $1000. needed to be held back for
insurance purposes, leaving a working balance of a little over $700. Funds are definitely low, and it is hoped that
memberships and silent auction will rectify that in the next few months. Brian pointed out that we need to be
more fiscally responsible, that we have spent a lot in the past few years. We have mandatory expense, and
voluntary expenses, and while we can’t do anything about the mandatory expenses, we need to reconsider the
voluntary donations. Much discussion took place.
Judy reminded us that we had committed $400. to the Fleming signboard, but we hadn’t yet made that
donation. We are listed on the board as $50. donors, and it was decided we will remain in that category, that we
cannot afford the $400. donation at this point.
Gerarda moved that the financial report be accepted as circulated. Seconded by Judy Kennedy. Carried.
Reports were received from those directors who were in attendance at this meeting.
AGM – Lizz Hoyle – Brian has booked the hall, Susan has arranged for Dale Leadbeater to be the presenter, Brian
will initiate the voter lists and conduct the voting for the awards, John will arrange for the plates to be printed,
and Lizz will contact Mary Firth re the suncatcher award. It was decided to by-pass the draw for the tickets to
the Owl Foundation due to our need for financial constraint at this time.
Altberg Reserve: Robbie Preston – Robbie reported that there were no major work programs planned for this
spring, but he would like to organize a photography / birding / flower outing. He would like to form a committee
and have someone walk the trails every 2 weeks to do an inspection and they could report to Robbie if work
needed to be done, ie a downed tree that needed to be removed. This would also ensure continuity in the
management of the reserve when Robbie steps down. He reported there has been an increase in visitors to the
Altberg since the new sign was erected. Robbie will make announcement at the general meetings for the need
for volunteers to do inspections. It was generally agreed that the majority of the director’s portfolios should
have committees, to ensure continuity when the director steps down. He also reported that a grant has been
received for a 2 year herpe inventory, and that John Urquart, who is replacing Mark Carabetta, is looking for lo-
cost accommodation around the Altberg, for the people conducting the survey, a cabin or house or whatever
they can find. More details forthcoming regarding the required accommodation.
Newsletter – Lizz Hoyle reported that the next newsletter will be available at the AGM. John Bick is looking into
the possibility of having a monthly column written for the local newspapers on Nature Notes. Inquiries were
made re having the newsletter printed in color, but it is just too cost prohibitive.
Program – In Susan’s absence, Ginny Moore reported that Susan had booked Tom Mason (“the spider guy”), a
curator at the Toronto Zoo, to speak at the June meeting. Ginny will be replacing Susan after the AGM and she
has obtained speakers for the Sept and Oct. meetings so far.
Publicity and Outreach – Judy stated this is the “off-season”. No one has come forth to replace Judy and Robbie.
We are still hoping for a committee to be formed, to share this responsibility.
Library: Gerarda suggested that since the books are listed on the website, that she could bring a book if
requested, to the meeting if a member calls her in advance. Unfortunately there is no storage room at the
senior’s hall so the books have to be stored in Gerarda’s home. Some of the books are not very current, and
need to be purged. Gerarda stated there is not a lot of interest in the library. After some discussion it was
decided to carry on with the library for another year.
Newspapers – John Vandenberg – Brian deferred this to New Business.
Due to the absence of so many directors there were no reports from the following areas:
Altberg Wetlands, Baillie Birdathon, Concerned Citizens, Educational Outreach, Nominations, Ontario Nature,
Business and reports arising from the last meeting:
Susan’s request re a list of recurring donations reflected in a budget line - Gerarda will endeavor to have this
done for the March directors’ meeting.
Newspaper – Brian reported that John Vandenberg had contacted a local newspaper, and the editor asked for a
400 – 500 word article, with pictures, for review. Much discussion took place and it was determined that as
editor of the newsletter John Bick would be the appropriate person to carry out this task of selecting
appropriate articles and subsequently submitting them to the newspapers. Brian will contact John Bick with this
request. *follow-up: John Bick has agreed to do this.
Further discussion re using the school board public mailing system – Ginny offered to contact Trillium Lakes
District School Board regarding sending out notices of our monthly meetings, speakers, and outings.
Junior Field Naturalists status – postponed.
Friends of Osprey communications list – Barb Puxley sent Ginny a list of e-mail addresses of local papers where
she can send notices of upcoming meetings and events. Ginny asked that she be notified of any papers that may
not be on the list, within a radius of 35 miles, as suggested by Robbie, eg Woodville, Kinmount, Bobcaygeon.
Brian received a receipt and read a letter of thanks from re the $375. donation we made to the Malcom Bluffs
Shore protection iniative.
Judy brought forward the nomination of Ontario Volunteers – Brian reported he had submitted 6 names from
the club, people who go above and beyond just attending meetings. These names were submitted by club
members at the last general meeting. There are 15 categories; Brian just submitted to 1, due to a lack of time
between the arrival of the notice and and the expected submission date.
Silent Auction - Robbie agreed to be responsible for this at the AGM. He suggested we approach businesses for
donations to the auction, to get more variety and larger items. It was decided we need to encourage people to
be more generous in their bidding, to remember that the silent auction is our major fundraiser, and that, along
with membership fees, are our only income. Many ideas were presented as to how to conduct the auction to
make it more profitable, from an “auctioneer” approaching guests at the table and promoting an article, to
buying tickets and dropping them in a bucket for a specific item (bucket raffle), or a Chinese auction, etc. After
much discussion Robbie decided to proceed with a bucket auction, the “auctioneer”, and the regular way of
bidding. We need to generate more interest and excitement towards the silent auction to generate increased
Moved by Gerarda, seconded by Loreen that the meeting be adjourned, at 9:30.
Next meeting will also be held at Judy and Robbie’s home on Monday, March 19 at 7:30 pm.