First Time Provisional Certificate Renewal
What to Know:
1. You are not required to renew your Provisional Certificate before
applying for your Professional Education Certificate. You are
encouraged to apply for your Professional Education Certificate when
you have met the requirements. However, if you are currently teaching
please make this decision in consultation with your district.
2. To renew your Provisional Certificate for the first time, you need to have
a. an approved master’s degree from any university at any time, or
b. 9 semester credit hours in an approved planned program (Options 1 – 4)
after the issuance of your initial Provisional Certificate. At least 5 of
your 9 planned program credits must have been taken at OU.
3. Please return to www.oakland.edu/sehs/certrenewal for “Approved
Planned Program Options 1 – 4”
4. State Board Continuing Education Units (SB-CEUs) cannot be used for
Provisional Certificate renewal.
5. Once you have completed the requirements for a first time Provisional
Certificate renewal (all grades must be posted), go to
www.michigan.gov/moecs and apply for your new certificate.
6. If you are using coursework from another institution to renew your
provisional, you will need to drop off an official transcript in a signed,
sealed envelope or mail it to:
363 Pawley Hall, Oakland University
2200 N. Squirrel Rd.
Rochester, MI 48309