Insurance - for Landlords by lanyuehua


									Information for Tenants
Finding a property

The first step is to contact us to provide brief details about yourself and about the
accommodation you require so that we can contact you as soon as suitable
properties become available for viewing. We recommend that you start to search
approximately 2 months before you wish to move. Our tenancies are granted for a
minimum term of 6 months.

Rent Bond Scheme

Applications supported by the Rent Bond Scheme are considered for selected


You will be accompanied by a member of staff, who can give advice and answer
any queries you may have.

Reserving the property

Once you have decided on a property, you can reserve it by paying a 'holding
deposit’ of £200.00 This will be deducted from the monies due when you move in. If
the landlord declines to grant the tenancy, it will be refunded. However the deposit
will be forfeit if you decide not to proceed for any reason, or if you fail to provide
complete and accurate information in your application.


 We will require satisfactory references from your employer, a previous or current
landlord, a character reference, and sometimes a guarantor. In addition a credit
check will be undertaken. We may use the services of an independent referencing
company to obtain and evaluate these references.

Rents are payable calendar monthly, in advance by bank standing order or Direct
Deposit. The tenant is also responsible for Council Tax, Water Rates, Gas,
Electricity and Telephone costs.

A security deposit of a minimum of one month's rental must be paid, and will be
held throughout the tenancy term by the Deposit Protection Service. This is held to
cover damage, breakages, and any other liabilities under the terms of your tenancy
agreement. Please note that under no circumstances can the deposit be used by the
tenant to cover rent.

There is a charge of £ 35.00 per applicant to cover referencing costs.

 Insurance - for Tenants
   We are able to offer competitive insurance for tenants.
   Contents
    Up to your selected sum insured for damage to your household furniture,
    equipment, furnishings, clothing and personal possessions whilst in your home
    (excludes business equipment).

    Landlord's Contents
    Up to £2,500 for accidental damage to your landlord's contents, fixtures &
    fittings for which you are responsible.

    Personal Possessions
    Up to your selected sum insured for loss or accidental damage to your clothing,
    watches, jewellery, spectacles, other valuables (excluding mobile telephones)
    and pedal cycles whilst away from your home anywhere in the UK or whilst
    temporarily elsewhere in the world. Theft from unattended vehicles must be
    from a locked boot.

    Further details are available on request.
If you currently own or intend to purchase residential property for rental you should consider
engaging our property management service. You'll find it both professional and cost-effective.
As we are specialists, we know how to manage property for optimum performance, whilst
ensuring smooth running tenancies, and compliance with the various landlord/tenant laws.
Maximise the return on your investment - contact us now.

Our Services include:
   1. Visiting you at your property, and providing a rental valuation and any other advice
       which you may require about letting your property.
   2. Advising you on compliance with the various safety regulations.
   3. Locating suitable tenants. Your property will be advertised if necessary, however we
       have excellent contacts with various company and other establishment personnel
       departments, and furthermore usually have tenants waiting.
   4. Accompanying tenant applicants to view the property.
   5. Obtaining and evaluating references and credit checks.
   6. Preparing a suitable tenancy agreement and arranging signature by the tenant.
   7. Collecting and holding as stakeholders a deposit (bond) from the tenant.
   8. Preparing an inventory and schedule of condition.
   9. Checking the tenant into the property and agreeing the inventory.
   10. Supervising the transfer of gas, electricity and council tax accounts into the tenant's
   11. Receiving rental payments monthly in advance, and paying you promptly, together with a
       detailed statement from our computerised management systems.
   12. If required paying regular outgoings for you from rental payments.
   13. Inspecting the property periodically, and reporting any problems to you.
   14. Arranging any necessary repairs or maintenance, first liaising with you in the case of
       larger works.
   15. Keeping in touch with the tenant on a routine basis, and arranging renewals of the
       agreement as necessary.
   16. Checking tenants out as required, re letting and continuing the process with the minimum
       of vacant periods to ensure that you receive the optimum return from your property.

We maintain a flexible attitude, and are generally able to adapt our service to meet our client's
individual circumstances and needs, by taking on additional tasks and duties.

Our Fees

Letting Only is just £200 for this we will provide tenant referencing, a full inventory and all
related paperwork .

 The Full Management Service comprises £ 100.00 Tenant Finding Fee plus 10% of the rental
There are no other standard fees or charges. No upfront charges - nothing to pay until a tenant
moves in and starts paying rent.

                             ALL OUR FEES ARE NEGOTIABLE!

Information for Landlords
Before a property can be let, there are several matters which the owner will need to deal with to
ensure that the tenancy runs smoothly, and also that he/she complies with the law. For brief
details of a subject click on a blue link below, or scroll down the page. If you require further
advice or assistance with any matter, please do not hesitate to contact us:

     Mortgage                        Important safety regulations:        Decorations
     Leaseholds                      - Gas                                Furnishings
     Sub-letting                     - Electrical                         Personal items
     Insurance                       - Furnishings                        Gardens
     Bills and regular outgoings     - General Products                   Cleaning
     Council tax                     Preparing the property for letting   Mail forwarding
     The inventory                   General condition                    Info for tenants
     Income tax                      Appliances                           Keys

If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee's written consent to the letting.
They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us.

If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease, and obtain the necessary
written consent before letting.

If you are a tenant yourself, you will require your landlord's consent.

You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and
contents insurance. Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies. We can advise
on Landlord's Legal Protection, and Landlord's Contents insurance if required.
Bills and regular outgoings
We recommend that you arrange for regular outgoings e.g. mortgage, service charges,
maintenance contracts etc. to be paid by standing order or direct debit. However, where we are
Managing the property, by prior written agreement we may make payment of certain bills on
your behalf, provided such bills are received in your name at our office, and that sufficient funds
are held to your credit.

Council tax
Council tax is the responsibility of the occupier. You should inform your local collection office
that you are leaving the property. During vacant periods the charge reverts to the owner. When
unoccupied but furnished, the charge is 50% of the normal rate. When unoccupied and
'substantially' unfurnished, there is no charge for the first six months, and thereafter a charge of
50% of the normal rate.

The inventory
It is most important that an inventory of contents and schedule of condition be prepared, in order
to avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of a tenancy. Without such safeguards, it will be
impossible for the landlord to prove any loss, damage, or significant deterioration of the property
or contents. In order to provide a complete service to the landlord, we will if requested arrange
for a member of staff to prepare an inventory and schedule of condition, at a cost to be quoted.

Income tax
When the landlord is resident in the UK, it is entirely his responsibility to inform the Inland
Revenue of rental income received, and to pay any tax due. However, where the landlord is
resident outside the UK during a tenancy, under new rules effective from 6 April 1996, unless an
exemption certificate is held, we as landlord's agents are obliged to retain and forward to the
Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis, an amount equal to the basic rate of income tax from rental
received, less certain expenses. An application form for exemption from such deductions is
available from this Agency, and further information may be obtained from the Inland Revenue.

Important safety regulations

The following safety requirements are the responsibility of the owner (the landlord), and where
we are to manage the property, they are also ours as agents. Therefore to protect all interests we
ensure full compliance with the appropriate regulations, at the owner's expense.

Gas Appliances & Equipment
Annual safety check: Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 all gas
appliances and flues in rented accommodation must be checked for safety within 12 months of
being installed, and thereafter at least every 12 months by a competent engineer (e.g. a CORGI
registered gas installer).
Maintenance: There is a duty to ensure that all gas appliances, flues and associated pipework are
maintained in a safe condition at all times.
Records: Full records must be kept for at least 2 years of the inspections of each appliance and
flue, of any defects found and of any remedial action taken.
Copies to tenants: A copy of the safety certificate issued by the engineer must be given to each
new tenant before their tenancy commences, or to each existing tenant within 28 days of the
check being carried out.

Electrical Appliances & Equipment
There are several regulations relating to electrical installations, equipment and appliance safety,
and these affect landlords and their agents in that they are 'supplying in the course of business'.
They include the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the Plugs and Sockets
Regulations 1994, the 2005 Building Regulation - 'Part P, and British Standard BS1363 relating
to plugs and sockets. Although with tenanted property there is currently no specific legal
requirement for a qualified electrician to carry out an inspection and issue a safety certificate (as
exists in the case of gas appliances), it is now widely accepted in the letting industry that the only
safe way to ensure safety, and to avoid the risk of being accused of neglecting your 'duty of care',
or even of manslaughter is to arrange such an inspection and certificate.

Furniture & Furnishings
The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989, 1993 & 1996)
provide that specified items supplied in the course of letting property must meet minimum fire
resistant standards. The regulations apply to all upholstered furniture, and beds, headboards and
mattresses, sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles, nursery furniture, garden furniture suitable
for use in a dwelling, scatter cushions, pillows, and non-original covers for furniture. They do
not apply to antique furniture or furniture made before 1950, bed clothes including duvets, loose
covers for mattresses, pillowcases, curtains, carpets or sleeping bags. Therefore all relevant items
as above must be checked for compliance, and non-compliant items removed from the premises.
In practice, most (but not all) items which comply must have a suitable permanent label attached.
Items purchased since 1.3.90 from a reputable supplier are also likely to comply.

General Product Safety
The General Product Safety Regulations 1994 specify that any product supplied in the course of
a commercial activity must be safe. In the case of letting, this would include both the structure of
the building and its contents. Recommended action is to check for obvious danger signs - leaning
walls, broken glass, sharp edges etc., and also to leave operating manuals or other written
instructions about high risk items, such as hot surfaces, electric lawnmowers, etc. for the tenant.

Preparing the property for letting

We have found from experience that a good relationship with tenants is the key to a smooth-
running tenancy. As Property Managers the relationship part is our job, but it is important that
the tenants should feel comfortable in their temporary home, and that they are receiving value for
their money. This is your job. Our policy of offering a service of quality and care therefore
extends to our tenant applicants too, and we are pleased to recommend properties to rent which
conform to certain minimum standards. Quality properties attract quality tenants.
General condition
Electrical, gas, plumbing, waste, central heating and hot water systems must be safe, sound and
in good working order. Repairs and maintenance are at the landlord's expense unless misuse can
be established.

Similarly, appliances such as washing machine, fridge freezer, cooker, dishwasher etc. should be
in usable condition. Repairs and maintenance are at the landlord's expense unless misuse can be

Interior decorations should be in good condition, and preferably plain, light and neutral.

It is recommended that you leave only minimum furnishings, and these should be of reasonable
quality. It is preferable that items to be left are in the property during viewings. If you are letting
unfurnished, we recommend that the property contains carpets, curtains, and a cooker.

Personal items, ornaments etc
Personal possessions, ornaments, pictures, books etc. should be removed from the premises,
especially those of real or sentimental value. Some items may be boxed, sealed and stored in the
loft at the owner's risk. All cupboards and shelf space should be left clear for the tenant's own

Gardens should be left neat, tidy and rubbish-free, with any lawns cut. Tenants are required to
maintain the gardens to a reasonable standard, provided they are left the necessary tools.
However, few tenants are experienced gardeners, and if you value your garden, or if it is
particularly large, you may wish us to arrange maintenance visits by our regular gardener.

At the commencement of a tenancy the property must be in a thoroughly clean condition, and at
the end of each tenancy it is the tenant's responsibility to leave the property in similar condition.
Where they fail to do so, cleaning should be arranged at their expense.

Mail forwarding
We recommend that you make use of the Post Office redirection service. Application forms are
available at their counters, and the cost is minimal. It is not the tenant's responsibility to forward

Information for the tenant
It is helpful if you leave information for the tenant on operating the central heating and hot water
system, washing machine and alarm system, and the day refuse is collected etc.
You should provide one set of keys for each tenant. Where we are Managing we will arrange to
have duplicates cut as required.

Insurance - for Landlords

Buildings Insurance
Covers the rebuilding of your property following loss or damage caused by fire, aircraft,
smoke, malicious persons (including tenants), accidental damage to bathroom fixtures &
fittings and glass, lightning, explosion, collision or impact, falling trees and earthquake, theft
(by forcible means), subsidence, riot/civil commotion, storm, flood, escape of water or oil
leakage and loss of rent up to 20% of the sum insured following damage. Also includes
property owner's liability.

Limited Contents Cover
Where the property is let unfurnished limited contents cover is available; this provides up to
£5000 cover for the following items: Carpets, Curtains, Sun Blinds, Light Fixtures & Fittings,
and Kitchen White Goods. Cover is on a new for old basis. Also includes landlord's liability.

Contents Insurance
Cover on a new for old basis for loss or damage caused by fire, aircraft, smoke, malicious
persons, lightning, explosion, impact, theft (by forcible means), subsidence, riot/civil
commotion, storm, flood, escape of water or oil leakage, breakage of mirrors or glass in
furniture, replacement of locks following theft of keys, and loss of rent up to 20% of the sum
insured following damage. Also includes landlord's liability.
Blackpool Pics

Preston Pics
                    Wyre pics

Poulton-le-Fylde (commonly shortened by locals to just Poulton) is a town within the Wyre borough
of Lancashire, England. The town has a population of 19,480 as of 2001 and occupies an area of
7.79 km², for a population density of 2500 people/km². It is situated about 5 kilometres to the
northeast of Blackpool town and the Irish Sea coast

Thornton (together with its neighbouring village of Cleveleys, known as Thornton-Cleveleys is a
village in the Fylde, in Lancashire, England, about four miles north of Blackpool and two miles south
of Fleetwood. It is in the borough of Wyre. The two villages are linked by Victoria Road.

Fleetwood is a town within the Wyre district of Lancashire, England, lying at the northwest corner of
the Fylde. It had a population of 26,840 people at the 2001 Census. It forms part of the Greater
Blackpool conurbation. The town was the first planned community of the Victorian era. For most of
the 20th century, Fleetwood was a prominent deep-sea fishing port, but, since the 1970s, the fishing
industry has declined precipitously and the town has undergone economic difficulties. Fleetwood is
also a seaside resort, serving as a quiet contrast to nearby Blackpool.
Lytham St Anne’s is considered to be a wealthy area with residents' earnings amongst the highest in
Lancashire. It is popular with engineers and scientists from the nearby BAE Systems site in Warton,
which provides some highly paid jobs that underpin the local economy. Doctors, lawyers and other
professionals from Blackpool and Preston are also attracted to the area. House prices have risen
considerably in the last few years and are currently above the national average. Lytham St Anne’s
recently saw its first apartment sell for £1 million. There were so many inquiries for the property
that the developer, Rowland, insisted on sealed bids.

As of 2007 the most controversial political issue in Lytham St Annes is property development. No
more greenbelt sites were available and developers in St Annes were seeking to replace existing
buildings or to build on open spaces such as Ashton Gardens in St Annes. Many historic buildings had
been demolished and replaced with larger modern constructions of standard design as can be found
in many other places. For example the art deco former headquarters of the Football League was
demolished and replaced with a block of flats. Fylde Rugby Club's ground and other open spaces
have been built on.

Local Area Information


To top