• Tool developed by Union/Management
to facilitate discussion and promote a
problem solving approach.
• These tools are cost shared by both
• To identify areas of staffing concerns.
• Retrospective look.
Filling in the Form
• At the time the workload issue occurs, discuss
the matter with the Team Manager/NRC to
develop strategies to meet client care needs
using current resources.
• If necessary, using established lines of
communication, seek immediate assistance
from an individual identified by the Employer
e.g. Team manager/NRC who has
responsibility for timely resolution of workload
• The management decision may include:
– Calling additional appropriate staff to meet
the needs of the clients.
– In the event additional staff are not available
a decision to reassign clients may be needed.
It is necessary to locate a Team Manager for
1. When and where the situation
• Tell us the time of the situation
being as specific as possible, as
well as how long the situation
• Allows union/management to track
trends (reoccurring patterns)
2. Details of the
• Tell us what was
3. Client Care and other
Contributing Factors to
• Complete as indicated using a check
4. Working Conditions
• Complete as indicated. Try to provide as
much detail as possible so that we can
“see” what the situation was at the time.
• This section is utilized to retrospectively
review if the additional resources helped
to alleviate the situation.
• This is to be completed even when it is a
“good thing”. A positive reflection.
• This is a subjective view, based on the
• Self explanatory. This section is for MNU
members to sign, only.
• Please do not get members from other
collective bargaining units to sign.
8. Is This Issue Being Referred to
NAC at this time?
• All workload forms will be trended for
discussion at the local NAC meetings.
• If issue remains unresolved, from the
perspective of the nurse (s), it may be
referred to an Independent Assessment
• This area needs to be used in a
• Management should not personalize the
i.e.. As a result of a bad day from the
nurses perspective, this does not reflect
on management’s supervisory skills.
Completion of the form
The nurse (s) file NWSR with their Team
Manager who then forwards the
completed form to:
Anita Moore’s office for PUBLIC HEALTH
Debra Vanance’s office for HOME