WHO Interns - Sporting
Please read on and help us get the most out of the sporting facilities for you!
Any questions or ideas please contact us Sports Coordinators
General Information about WHO GYM Facilities:
The membership fee is waived for interns. Please don't hesitate to contact Liz Mottier or Sue Allemby if
you have any questions or for obtaining the code to the gym doors.
If you are interested in attending any of the classes put on for WHO staff, you will need to contact the
instructor(s) directly and see with them about availability and payments. See link to instructors contact
Join a FREE class run by our wonderful volunteers. Find out more about current classes.
WHERE ARE THE S1 YELLOW & BLUE GYMS?
You may use the equipment on the mezzanine (BLUE GYM) anytime there is not a yoga class going on
Please put 1CHF in the honesty box after each session
8th Floor Fitness:
Contact Nick Lamble, the managing personal trainer, directly by calling ext. 13440 to make arrangements
Sporting activities outside the WHO
Want to get involved in a sporting activity but we don’t provide it?
Sources of sporting information and inspiration:
Public pools have fairly reasonable prices, for Geneva, at as little as 10 CHF
per/month - For under 25 yo at Vernets and de Varembe!
1 entry: 6/3 CHF
10 Entries: 54/27 CHF
Month: 20/10 CHF
For more information visit these sites:
– they post sporting activities like hiking, running, and scuba diving to Latin American dancing. Try something
new and spread the word! http://www.glocals.com/#/things-to-do/geneva/
… A couple of ideas …
Meet every MONDAY and WEDNESDAY at 7pm (19h00) and on SATURDAY
at 10am in front of Bain des Paquis. (Quai Mont-Blanc / Quai Wilson). ALL
Figure Skating Session with Free Lesson & Fondue Dinner
Meeting date: On Saturday, on the 04/02/2012
Meeting time: Between 16h and 16h15 as we will attend the public session
opening from 16h30 to 19h.
Meeting place: To make it easier, let's meet directly right next to the main
ticket office inside the main entrance of this ice rink.
Total cost per adult: CHF10.50 = BARGAIN!
Get your skates on!
If you interested in ice-skating a couple of interns have been along and had a great time:
1. Place: Centre Sportif de Meyrin
Location: avenue Louis-Rendu 7-9
2. Place: Patinoire de l’Europe
Location: Avenue de l’Europe 11
3. Place/Location: Parc des Bastions just inside the park adjacent to
the chess games
1. Place: Patinoire des Vernets
Location: rue Hans-Wilsdorf 4- 6, Acacias
2. Place: Centre Sportif de Sous-Moulin
Location: route Sous-Moulin 39
Let’s not forget about WINTER – SKIING/SNOWBOARDING!
WINTER IS HERE! Let us all keep our eyes peeled and ears open for the best deals in town!! I know I’d love to go
at some point! Keep the intern board in the know and go on the WHO intern facebook group to sign up for the
intern trip to Flaine on Sat 21st January! SNOW REPORT: http://www.snow-forecast.com/
Ski Passes and Transport
Some info on ski passes:
Airport bus transfers and private hire:
Gare Routiere de Geneve:
Wake up at the crack of dawn and go for a cheap day skiing
from 60 CHF (Students) / 70 CHF (Adults) to ski resorts such as
Chamonix, Flaine, Morzine etc and the price includes transport
and lift pass!! Get ON IT!!
For getting involved with ski clubs the most popular are CERN: https://sites.google.com/site/cernskiclub/ and Ski
Club International de Geneva: http://www.scig.ch/.
DEALS: keep an eye on Geneva GROUPONS: http://www.groupon.ch/deals/geneve and BuyClub
http://www.buyclub.ch/geneva/ where you can get up to 70% on anything
from haircuts to massages to gym memberships with the occasional ski
pass as well FREE to sign up!
Tabogganing: No need to get the skis on tobogganing is just as fun
check this out, >7km runs!!
SNOWCARE PASS: Snowcare insurance provides top-up insurance cover for any accident on the slopes in
Switzerland (and Italy). There are various Snowcare packages for day, or a full season's insurance and it can be
bought with a ski pass at any participating resort. The claim must be submitted within 10 days.
Carré Neige/Licence Carte Neige: The Carré Neige is short-term insurance available at the participating
1. It can be bought from the lift pass office when buying the lift pass.
2. It is valid as long as the pass is valid for all snow sports (by amateurs) in France and neighbouring
3. Provides insurance and assistance: search and rescue, first transport, medical expenses and repatriation
(as well as bad weather insurance on the cost of unusable ski passes).
4. In the event of an accident a claim should be made within eight days.
5. The claim should include the original lift pass and medical certificate detailing the injuries.
The Licence Carte Neige, issued by the Fédération Française de Ski (FFS), provides long-term cover and is available
at participating French ski resorts. http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2004/10/16cart.htm
For those here for a little longer…Geneva Marathon for Unicef 2012 programme
Friday 4th May (during the afternoon): Marathon Village opens
Saturday 5th May:
• 14:00: ‘La Genevoise’, a 6km run exclusively for female competitors (14 years and over), CHF 35
• 15:30 onwards: Junior Races of 500m up to 3km (for 6 to 13 year olds), CHF 15
Sunday 6th May:
• 08:30: Marathon – 42km 195m, CHF 90
• 10:30: Half Marathon – 21km 97m, CHF 60
Sign up to run or volunteer at www.genevemarathon.org!
Ideas for the future
We were talking about some ideas for some more sporting ideas and we would like YOUR help!
1. LEAD A MORNING or EVENING RUN: Does anyone want to lead some runs for their fellow inters?
2. MASSAGE CLASS: Is there anyone among us with massaging skills and would be willing to teach fellow
interns a few basic techniques? A good opportunity to relax after work and help others relax too.
3. TEAM SPORTS: Would you be interested in getting involved in a team sport? We were thinking along the
lines of bare foot soccer and ultimate Frisbee but it may be too cold; we want to know what you think!
4. HIDDEN TALENT - NEW CLASSES: Does anyone want to share their skills and run a class? We have some
spaces in the gym we could use so let us know asap!!