Document Sample
Report_for_Student_Leadership_Summit Powered By Docstoc
					                   Student Leadership Summit 2011
Review and analysis of discussions with an in depth examination of logistics involved in event planning
and execution.

                                     Saad Jamil & Nabila Patel

                                     Special contribution:
                           Mike Queroz & Asst. Dean Malcolm J. Smith
                                  Report for Student Leadership Summit


        On October 25th, 2011 at 3:00pm the Undergraduate Student Government held an event in the
Cardinal Room titled ‘Student Leadership Summit.’ The event was targeted towards the established
student organizations on campus in order to solicit from them, the relevant issues faced by students at
our University (University of Illinois at Chicago). The event had a guest list of 54 RSVP’d attendees, and a
total cost of $255.60. A panel of administrators and University representatives were invited to attend
the event and listen to as well as discuss relevant issues. The list of discussion points included:
affordability, physical environment, diversity, student life, quality of education, and a section for general

Event logistics

        The event guest list (see appendix Table 2) was drawn from the list of established student
organizations on campus. The list of organizations and their contact persons were compiled by the
Office of Campus Programs, specifically it was provided by Vance Pierce (, the current
assistant director of Campus Programs. An understanding existed that the compiled list was not
information regularly provided to students; an exception was made for this event being administered by
USG. The entirety of the list consisted of 373 organizations. It was divided amongst all assembly
members so that each member contacted between 20-40 organizations. Pre-drafted emails with
information about the event location, time, date, and purpose were sent to the organizations. From the
responses received a list of attendees was compiled in the USG Gmail account. Contacting the
organizations once was deemed not enough, as such, starting a few days before the event (3 days)
reminder emails were sent out to all confirmed attendees.
        The room booked for the event was the Cardinal Room in Student Center East for a 2 hour time,
with the event scheduled to last an hour and a half. The room set up allowed for an entry ‘fish-bowl’
where food and other refreshments were set up. The registration table was set up directly outside of the
cardinal room where name prepared name placards of attendees were placed for pick up. The tables
and chairs were requested as special set ups in a ‘blown out’ double conference box with extra chairs on
the periphery of the room (see diagram 1). Room capacity for this set up allowed for a maximum seating
of 50 persons.
        The budget (see appendix table 1) for the event was set at $255.60. The bulk of the budget
arose from the food costs for the event. With 54 confirmed guests, expectations of at least 30 people
actually showing up meant accommodations for at least 30 had to be made, to err on the side of better
planning, enough food for 50 was still ordered. There was also a small fee allotted in order to buy
folders for the attendees. The folders included a copy of the schedule (see appendix document 1), a
survey, and some USG promotional materials. The survey was intended to obtain any information that
wasn’t shared during discussions in order to facilitate a follow up if need be.
        Invited guests to the event comprised of a variety of campus administrators. Director of Campus
Housing, Susan Teggatz ( was one of the highest ranking officials in attendance at the
event. Assistant director of the office of Student Leadership and Development Services, and director of
the Commuter Resource Center Jim Stewart ( was present as well. Assistant Dean of
Students Malcolm Smith ( from the office of the Dean of Students and Director of the
Office of Women’s Affairs Rebecca Gordon ( were invited and attended. A
representative of the UIC Police Craig Moran ( and Cook County State’s Attorney
Victoria Kennedy ( attended too. Finally, the Student Trustee was
invited and asked to be a co-emcee of the event. All of the above esteemed guests were invited and
attended the event.

Discussion Topics

         Under housing, notions of theft were addressed. Specific concerns of thefts during fire alarms
and easy access to “floor” keys were talked about. Ms. Teggatz informed all that fire alarm times are not
known and that no master key exists to open all dorm rooms. Only floor/section keys exist and to access
these keys one has to punch in and punch out, so all records are logged. UIC police further elaborated
that when leaving one’s dorm, one should be sure to close the door because even a dust bunny could
hold it open.
         Meal plans were discussed in great length in terms of housing. Sodexho is being approached by
GMIC in efforts to push for more vegetarian and vegan options for students. Sodexho has brochures of
their meal plans, even those offered to commuter students who get bored of the monotonous food
offered at Inner Circle. Most people do not notice these brochures; thus they need to be better
advertised. Additionally, there are meal plan information and nutritional information of the food served
available online. JST students do not have a kitchen, thus they must buy meal plan. Ms. Teggatz pointed
out that Sodexho is willing to work with students if they offer communication from their part.
Furthermore, working through the Residence Hall Associations on campus is a good way to reach out to
         Textbooks were discussed broadly in terms of cost. UIC is always upgrading to different books or
editions. Suggestions were made to increase rental books, however it was made known that most
students do not follow through and actually rent. A universal tuition fee for books was discussed, where
students would pay a certain amount to receive used books from UIC and then would have to return
them back after the semester was over. The public did not like this idea for reasons such as wanting to
keep books.
         Tuition was discussed in general; where the public asked where tuition money goes and relished
on the fact that tuition has not increased from the previous semester last school year. The option for a
payment plan for the summer sessions was brought up but discussion was brief.

    Meal Plans are required but issues can be addressed by contacting Sodexho through the RHA or
      student government
    Textbook rentals are available through the UIC bookstore, but professors must be targeted and
      lobbied to use older versions whenever possible
          o Charging a universal textbook fee along with tuition to provide ‘free rented textbooks’ is
              an idea with mixed reviews
    Payment plans for the summer session should be looked into

Physical Environment and Safety
        Safety is a big issue on UIC campus mainly because UIC is located right next to downtown
Chicago and the highway, which provides easy access to non-UIC people. An increase in crime alerts has
caused alarm recently however it’s noteworthy that the UIC-Halsted CTA station now has cameras. A
discussion of keeping valuables in bags and not talking while walking on the phone or walking with
headphones in ear provided useful safety tips. The Police representative Office Moran mentioned how
UIC students are easy-targets for thieves when they walk around displaying phones and electronics.
          It was mentioned that the Red car only runs from 11PM-7AM and has certain campus
boundaries. USG’s General Maintenance and Infrastructure Committee is working on creating a tracking
system so that students can track red car on their smart phones or online.
          Parking lots are all around campus. Specifically, the main parking lot on Harrison is said to
always have a person at a booth. Specific girl complained saying after UIC event she was being followed
by 5 non-UIC males. UIC police elaborated on the importance of walking in groups and not in alley ways.
          A discussion of lowering heat and A/C in efforts to reduce cost took place. It was pointed out
that time is needed because it is controlled by water valve on the other side of Taylor and cannot be
done by one switch. An entire system switch over must take place switching from heating to cooling so
this is a dynamic issue.

    Every crime alert and crime on campus Always has a follow up and nearly 80% are actually
      solved (per police) – following basic safety tips is recommended
    Red car, always problematic is currently being considered to be outfitted with either a tracking
      device or a departmental transfer.
    Parking lot safety was brought up and the UIC escort service was mentioned as a potential
      solution. A 24/7 escort service is available by calling (312)996-2830
    Heating/cooling concerns are a dynamic issue that may have no real solution as heating/cooling
      switchovers require universal system flushing
    Downloading electronic tracking software named PREY (free software) is encouraged by the UIC

         Diversity at UIC was praised. Centers like Latino Center and others are great places for people of
the same culture to gather. Was going to be shut down before, but has obvious beneficial factors so it
was not. Students at UIC would like to have more culture experiences. They like the culture-specific
organizations because it allows them to meet and interact with people of the same culture. Few issues
existed here however a Diversity Student Fair, much like the Yearly Fun Fair was suggested. In order to
further foster diverse organizations cooperating, the idea of an organizational reception at the
beginning of the year was suggested. Overall, there were few complaints regarding diversity after it was
pointed out that the Diversity Centers were not planned to be cut.

    Diversity at UIC is excellent and few problems exist while the Diversity Centers remain open
    Starting a Diversity Fun Fair was suggested
    A Student Organization Reception to meet and greet each other should take place at the
      begging of each year to foster cooperation

Student Life
        This is the Commuter Center’s first year at UIC-east campus. It was suggested that another
commuter center be created on west campus to help foster the students who are on that side of
campus. With the majority of UIC students being commuters, the commuter resource center has actively
been receiving new visitors and worked hard to cater to student needs.
        School spirit discussions included asking for an event like “Recess” or the Undie Run to happen
again and possibly be hosted by USG. The School spirit of UIC was compared to that of U of I, and the
mechanics of being a primarily commuter campus compared to a primarily resident campus were
touched on. The student trustee mentioned that Hoodies, t-shirts, and hats of city colleges and other
major universities can be traded in for UIC gear at his office on Fridays from 2-5PM. UIC’s spirit week is a
means of promoting school spirit and the co-sponsorship of USG is something to look into. Dean Smith
suggests taking advantage of already in place programs such as the one where prizes are awarded to the
organization able to get the most people to a sporting event.
        The UIC Pep Band offers up their services saying they are willing to attend any and every event
on campus they are able to.

    Commuter Center has only been open 1 year, too early for expansion, but usage is growing –
      west campus satellite future possibility
    Spirit week and traditional events are necessary to establish a sense of community
    The student trustee is doing trade-ins of other college apparel for UIC apparel.
    Use the UIC Pep band for more events

Quality of Education
         UIC newspaper does not exist anymore because of low readership. Not many people even know
it existed before. It was brought up that UIC has an 84% acceptance rate and needs to be more selective
on its admitted students. This is a fine line to be walked as we need to balance selectivity with
enrollment size to recoup lack of state funding. Thoughts of admitting more students based on ethnicity
in order to further increase diversity, this is perpetually under review by the enrollment management
office at UIC.
         Buildings on campus are a source of frustration when buildings like Education and Performing
Arts and Social Work (epasw), the Engineering Research Facility (ERF), and Burnam Hall (BH) with the
Honors College are so old and in need of repair. Suggestions to use current engineering students rather
than private contractors are brought up, but legal issues might need to be hashed out before this ever

    Lack of a student newspaper, and low readership of the current UIC newspaper needs to be
    The state of disrepair of so many current buildings needs to be addressed especially ERF,
      EPASW, and BH.
    Possibly relying on UIC students to generate renovation projects rather than contractors is
      unrealistic but warrants investigation.

         UIC police escort is a free service where students can call 312-996-2830 at any time of day
where a police officer will walk with a student to the student’s destination. Usually police take student
in their squad car. Is not to be used as a free ride when under the influence. Students should take
advantage of this and use it when they are alone or walking in the dark.
         Prey software can track electronics. It can be installed on laptops, smart phones, iPhones, and
more. It is a free app and should be installed by everyone on campus. Prey allows one to access
electronics location by means of tracing an IP address with the internet. It has helped in cases where UIC
students have had their laptops stolen. Students should leave a guest login on their laptops so potential
thieves can go on their laptops and Prey can take pictures of the thieves via webcam without the
thieves’ knowledge. This is by no means encouraging students to take matters in their own hands. Police
investigation should be sought in concurrence with the usage of Prey.
Results and Future Suggestions:
         The total attendance of 54 confirmed resulted in an actual attendance of 41 students. These
numbers were calculated by simply counting the number of name cards not picked up by confirmed
attendees. There was no total count of USG members in attendance; however the closest estimates are
between 8-13 members. The total cost of the event leveled out at $255.60, which may be considered
acceptable considering the logistics involved. Discussion topics were each allotted 20 minutes, however
discussion on physical environment and safety ran late by an extra 20 minutes.
         The 2011 Student leadership summit was based heavily on the 2010 Student Leadership
Summit. The 2010 SLS was co-organized by former members Sarah Agate, Joel Ebert, and former vice
president Saad Jamil (current president). The previous one was conducted in the midst of several hot
button university issues including a possible strike by the Graduate Employee Organization (GEO), and a
possible 9% tuition hike for students. The 2011 SLS was organized on the same founding principles of
wanting student input from leaders capable of giving relevant feedback.
         Concerning future events, a few relevant suggestions concerning set up, handling, and follow up
of the event are possible. Firstly, the compiled list of student organizations is not readily available at the
start of the year, and this kind of event lends itself for highest usefulness then. Thus, a certain effort
must be made to contact the persons on the list from the year previous, reach out via the Student
Organization Listserv, emails, and of course notices on the doors of office organizations. It is also best to
have the date of the event on between Tuesday-Thursday, as more students are likely to be on campus
than. The time of the event is best limited to 2 hours, but at least an hour and a half, with the event
starting in the late afternoon, or early evening. An ideal time would be Thursday @ 4:30 or 5 to coincide
with most of the other organization meetings as well.
         Reaching out must begin at least month in advance, ideally six weeks in advance. This allows two
weeks for RSVP’s to be sent in. In the remaining four weeks, a list of relevant topics of discussion should
be drafted and sent to the confirmed guests for review and input. Once the most relevant topics are
commented on, and sent back, a schedule for the day of the event should be made based on those
responses. This ensures the event touches on topics that people are interested in. Once the list of
discussion topics is set, invitations should be extended to a possible panel of guests. This panel is
however optional, while it lends an air of credibility to the event, its presence is not always relevant to
each topic. The panel’s purpose is mainly to listen and hear what students are talking about, and if need
be, to answer questions. Overall, the presence of a small, well informed on the event panel is suggested
over having no panel.
         Discussions should be monitored by strong public speakers with the ability to guide discussions
on a timeline while adapting when necessary to the groups desire to speak more or less on certain
issues. It is realized that not all discussion topics will have solutions, while others will already have
solutions. The discussion to serve as a medium to address concerns by providing information, as well as
compile lists of issues relevant for USG or other campus entities to address. It is very important that this
event not become USG’s sole source of ideation on initiatives. The purpose of this event should always
remain supplementary to USG’s goals, while providing a useful means for fostering student leader
discussions and organizational cooperation.
         Networking between the members present should be fostered through some means as well,
either a brief pre-event meet and greet amongst attendees or a post-summit follow up event are two
possibilities. There should be extensive recording of minutes as well as notes on the event to have a
record of useful ideas and pertinent discussions.
         Finally, follow up to a student leadership summit is imperative. The 2011 student leadership
summit, just like the 2010 SLS, was unfortunately weak in this aspect. While the primary purpose of the
event was fulfilled for USG, the possible benefit to other student organizations has yet to be tapped
into. The preparation for the event (4 weeks) did not allow enough time to survey its attendees for their
preference to a list of discussion topics. This is acceptable in this case as the discussion list from 2010
was still very relevant, and issues largely unchanged. To ensure the continued integrity of the event and
establish high level credibility for it, a follow up published report, at minimum is important. Ideally, a
formal published report on the USG website is accompanied by a thank you emails to participants. The
follow up email should include a synopsis of the event with a very brief bullet point list of facts gained
from discussion, or planned initiatives by USG based on the discussion. The 2011 SLS panel however was
strong and had attending guests who were relevant to discussion topics, which was an improvement to
the 2010 SLS having only one high profile member.
         The primary ideals behind the event did not change from 2010 to 2011, and neither did the
minimal follow up on issues brought up. This report shall hopefully turn the tide on that tradition. It
must be stressed that the stated goal, to harvest relevant student feedback on issues, and disseminate
information on already resolved issues was met by the discursive function of the SLS. Moving forward,
increasing planning time to at least six weeks, and having at least two highly dedicated individuals or a
committee focus on planning and executing this event is recommended. This event can serve to provide
legislative goals for USG and the campus, should it be utilized to its fullest. The need to host this event
every semester is possibly too much, however a yearly, or even bi-yearly hosting is suggested. Thus, it
can be said that the 2011 SLS was a success in its bringing to the table of a large and highly effective
group of student leaders to discuss the issues they feel most relevant.

Diagram 1.

Document 1. [On following page]
                              Student Leadership Summit Agenda
                       October 25, 2011, Cardinal Room, Student Center East, 3:00 pm

3:00-3:10         Check in & registration

3:10- 3:20        Welcome Remarks
                  Emcees: President Saad Jamil, Trustee Kenneth Thomas
 Brief remarks on nature of event and importance of student cooperation for a better university overall.

3:20-3:40         Affordability
To include but not be limited to: Tuition, Fin. Aid, Scholarships, and food on campus. Discussion will start
                                with and feature the two following topics.
                  1.   Housing
                  2.   Textbooks

3:40-4:00         Physical Environment and Safety
To include but not be limited to: Hours of Operation, Building Quality, Police Presence, Greenery, and
Environmentalism. Discussion will start with and feature the following topics.
                  1.   Safety
                  2.   Parking Lots

4:00-4:20         Diversity
To include but not be limited to: Diversity Education, Awareness, and Importance. Discussion will start
with and feature the following topics.
                  2.   Support Programs
                  3.   Sharing Diversity

4:20-4:40         Student Life
To include but not be limited to: School Spirit, Greek Support, and Culture of Commuters. Discussion will
start with and feature the following topics.
                  1.   Commuter Center
                  2.   Food

4:40-4:55         Quality of Education & General Remarks
The last 15 minutes will serve to allow discussion of topics either not brought up before or previously
mentioned topics that necessitated further discussion. In the event of extra time, the following two topics
will be addressed.
                  1.   Student Run Newspaper
                  2.   Course Offerings

4:55-5:00         Closing Remarks
Thank you for attending the Undergraduate Student Government’s Student Leadership Summit. We ask that before you leave
to please take a minute and complete the survey included in your folder.
Document 2.

Student Leadership Summit Post Discussion Survey:
Please enter any other concerns you would like to address here:

Any suggestions to your concerns:

Physical Environment and Safety:
Please enter any other concerns you would like to address here:

Any suggestions to your concerns:

Please enter any other concerns you would like to address here

Any suggestions to your concerns:

Student Life:
Please enter any other concerns you would like to address here:

Any suggestions to your concerns:

Quality of Education and General Remarks:
Please enter any other concerns you would like to address here:

Any suggestions to your concerns:

If you have any additional concerns that are not included in these areas, please feel free to add
them in the blank space at the bottom or back of this page or feel free to e-mail USG at
Please fill in the information below:

Your Organization: _________________________________________________
Phone Number: ___________________________
Table 1.

Itemized SLS Budget
 *STUDENT MUFFINS - DZ                                                   3x        7.5$        22.5$
 *POUND CAKE SLICES - DZ                                                 2x       6.25$        12.5$
 *SOFT PRETZELS WITH MUSTARD - DZ                                        2x       7.95$        15.9$
 *TORTILLA CHIPS WITH SALSA 1LB. BAG - EA                                2x       4.95$         9.9$
 *CASE OF WATER - CS                                                     2x         12$          24$
 *TROPICANA JUICES - EA                                                 30x       0.85$        25.5$
 *STUDENT STARBUCKS COFFEE(12) - CONT                                    2x       7.85$        15.7$
 *STUDENT ADMINISTRATIVE CHARGE                                          1x         70$          70$
 Folders                                                                40x       1.49$       59.60$
                                            grand total              $255.60

Table 2

 Confirmed Final SLS Guest List
 Organization                                  Name of Attendee(s)    Email Address
 Alpha Epsilon Pi                              Sam Melnik   
 Alternative Spring Break                      Katie Kalbas 
 Biomedical Engineering Society                David Franz  
 Black Student Union                           Kenneth Vasser
 BRO                                           Kenneth Vasser
 Cigar Club                                    Ryan Warner  
 CSCMA                                         Mitch Gann   
 Dillinois A Capella                           Shikar Shah  
 Gender Umbrella Society                       Mari Medellin
 Hindu Student Council                         Navya Kerjiwal
 Indian Student Association                    Janesh Rahlan
 Institute of Industrial Engineers             Ryan Warner  
 Journal for Pre-Health Affiliated Students    Anam Syed    
 KIA                                           Gemini Bhimani
 Lambda Epsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc         Carlos Samaniego
 Minority Association of Pre-Health Students   Samra Mahdi  
 Model United Nations                          Tatiana Scripnic
 New Life Volunteering Society                 Dharati Desai
 Omega Delta Phi Fraternity                    Angel Sida   
 Omega Delta Phi Fraternity                    Gil Morgan             -
Peer Health Exchange                           Dylan Busser
Peer Health Exchange                           Sabaliauskaite
Polish Student's Association                   Monika Karczmarczyk
Polish Student's Association                   Unknown               -
Project Lullaby                                Cammie Jaber
Psi Chi, National Honor Society in Psycholgy   Katie Zoszak
Public Association Student Association         Anna Cobb   
Public Association Student Association         Kristin Scally
Rho Chi Society                                Kristen Karlsen
Roots of Justice                               Aran Yoo    
SAFEHR                                         Unknown     
Saints on Fire For Christ                       Phillip Owens
Sigma Lambda Gamma                             Victoria Maritnez
Society for Future Physicians                  Akshay Patel
Society for Future Physicians                  Alex Kim    
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers     Unknown     
Student Association of Medcial Artists         Laura Garrison
Student Association of Medcial Artists         Claire Shapleigh      -
Student Vetern's Association                   Kenneth Vasser
Students for Israel                            Nate Chertok
Students for Justice in Palestine              Unknown     
Student of Urban and Public Affairs            Nija                  -
Students of Urban and Public Affairs           Justin Pence
Tau Beta Pi                                    Mathew Crecenti
UIC Pride                                      Andrew Townsend
Unity in Christ Gospel Chorus                  Lenora Carrol
Wing Tsun Self Defense                         Andrew Chen 
The Veil                                       Gloria Yum  

Shared By: