Driver Education - Sophomores
1) Obtain a copy of the New Jersey Driver’s Manual
a) Download a copy from: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/About/manuals.htm or
b) Go to any Motor Vehicle Commission Agency to get a copy.
i) The closest agencies in the area are in Oakland or Wayne (Rt. 46)
2) Read a chapter at a time.
3) Complete the review questions as you go along.
a) The questions are found below.
a) Print out the question pages.
b) Answers must be handwritten.
c) No computer generated copies will be accepted.
5) Due Date
a) Have questions completed for the first day of school.
a) One test grade (100 points)
a) Apply the information while you are driving with your parents (not driving!)
b) Completing the summer reading will help you to pass your NJMVC Knowledge test in November.
i) Remember, you need an 80 to pass!!!
Driver’s Education Summer Reading Questions Received Sept. _________
Name _______________________________ Block _________________
The following questions will help you with the written test BUT you must read the manual.
As a driver, it is YOUR responsibility to know the laws.
As of July 1, 2004, you can no longer talk on a hand-held wireless telephone while driving in
New Jersey. This new laws is enforced on all public roadways in New Jersey. Break this law
and you can be fined $250.
As of May 1, 2010, the previously termed “Provisional” driver is now termed “Probationary.”
Directions: Read the entire manual.
Print out the Driver’s Education Summer Reading Questions.
Answer all questions. Answers to questions must be handwritten.
No computer-generated/typed answers will be accepted.
Keep a separate area in your notebook for “N.J. Driver’s Manual.”
1. When driving a motor vehicle you are required to have your driver’s license and your _________
________, and __________________________.
a. What is the penalty for not having these documents? _______________
2. After you pass the written state test, when you turn ______ and enroll in an approved behind-the-
wheel course, and _ ___ must purchase a special learner permit.
a. To obtain a Student Learner’s Permit, what six requirements must you meet:
3. If a student driver commits a traffic offense, responsibility will be with
4. Special Driver Examination Permit driving restrictions are:
a. No driving between ________ and _______.
b. Driver _______use wireless _____________or any ________ device while driving.
c. All student examination permit holders must be accompanied by a/an
___________________________, who must be at least __________________ and have a
valid NJ drivers licensed to drive for at least _____________________________________.
5. Drivers with Graduated Drivers License (GDL) permits must require ___________________ seated
__________________in the vehicle to use seat belts.
6. What is a Probationary License? _____________________________________________________
7. How many passengers may accompany a driver with a Probationary License? (Use law in book.
We will discuss the new laws in class.)_________________________________________________
8. Under GDL Law, a person is required to attend a remedial training class for what reason?
9. The driving hours of a Probationary License (under 21) are restricted to ____________________ a
Probationary License (over 21) is ___________________________________________________.
10. Any change of address must be reported to Motor Vehicles within what time period?
11. A legal name change due to marriage, divorce, or court action must be reported to Motor
Vehicles within what time period?____________________________________________________
12. If your license is lost or stolen, you should immediately notify the__________________________.
13. Altering, a driver’s license, or showing an altered driver’s license, may result in
14. Getting a driver’s license illegally (falsifying information) may result in
15. If a student driver fails the road test, all applicants must wait at least ________________ before
retaking the test.
16. Other than driving ability, what are two other reasons an applicant may fail a road test?
17. Give four reasons a driver may lose their driving privileges.
18. The first offense for a motorist 21 years of age and older who has a BAC between .08 -.10 is
19. Implied Consent Law means _______________________________________________________.
20. If you refuse to take a breath test and it is your first offense, the penalty is
21. The penalties (sanctions) for the first offense for a motorist under 21 years of age with a BAC
above .01 is ____________________________________________________________________.
22. A diamond shape sign is a _________________________________________________________.
23. A flashing red traffic light means ____________________________________________________.
24. A triangular sign is a ______________________________________________________________.
25. If not prohibited by a “no turn on red” sign in NJ, law permits you to turn on red after
26. What is the point system? __________________________________________________________
27. How many points can be subtracted if a motorist is not convicted of an offense for 12 months?
28. When a driver receives a special learner’s or examination permit, they begin a ________ year
probationary period. If they are convicted of ___________ moving violations totaling _________
points, they must enroll in the probationary driver school. Attendance is ___________________.
Failure to complete the program will _________________________________________________.
29. Crossing centerlines on a two-way roadway for passing is legal when
30. A pentagon shaped sign is _________________________________________________________.
31. A person may drive on public or private property to avoid a traffic sign or signal when
32. When the pavement is marked with two centerlines, one solid and one broken:
33. When nearing a steady yellow or amber traffic signal you should
34. On another sheet of paper (attach sheet), diagram the hand-signals when a driver is making a:
a. Right hand turn,
b. Left hand turn, and
35. An eight-sided sign means _________________________________________________________.
36. A railroad crossing sign is __________________________________________________________.
37. A single solid white line across a road at an intersection means
38. Most passing should be made on the left. Pass only on the right __________________________.
39. Do not pass when: (give 5 reasons)
40. When approaching or nearing an uncontrolled intersection you should
41. The order of colors on a traffic light hung top to bottom: _________________________________
42. A green arrow means _____________________________________________________________
43. A yellow line down the center of the road
44. After you drive through a deep puddle of water, you should
45. If the car you are driving has ABS (anti-lock braking system), how would you test them?
46. Never _____________________ ABS or __________________________ when your brake.
47. You should always yield to ___________, _____________, ____________, and _______________.
48. Signals should be used when, _______ , and ________ .
49. Using safety belts is important because they
50. If a passenger in the front seat of a car, who is 17 years of age, is caught not wearing a seat belt,
who is responsible? _______________________________________________________________
51. If a passenger in the front seat (over 18 years of age) is caught not wearing a seat belt, who is held
52. New Jersey Child Restraint law requires that a child under eight years old who weighs less than 80
53. When entering highways, parkways, and turnpikes, motorists must yield to traffic ____________.
54. When using brakes, a common mistake a new driver makes is
55. Signals must be turned on at least __________________ before turning.
56. The best way to “talk” to other drivers on the road is to ______________ .
57. When should bright beams be used? ______________________________________What should
you do if you approach a car with high beams? _________________________________________
58. What are blind spots and how should they be avoided? __________________________________
59. How do you check for proper mirror placement?
60. On the back, diagram proper hand position on the steering wheel.
61. What is “road rage”? ______________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________ If you
observe someone driving out of control, what should you do? _____________________________
62. When is it legal to use your horn? ____________________________________________________
63. What factors affect stopping distances? _______________________________________________
64. Which of the following drinks contain the highest alcohol content: 1.5 oz of whiskey, 12 oz of
beer, or 5 oz of table wine? _________________________________________________________
65. Studies show that the greatest number of people arrested for drunk driving have been drinking
66. If you drink beyond a BAC of .05% ,the risk of you causing a motor vehicle accident doubles and at
.10%, the risk increases to _____________ as great, and at .15%, ___________ as great for
causing an accident.
67. You are, by law, presumed to be under the influence when your BAC has reached _________ if
you are over 21 and _______________ if you are under 21 years of age.
68. If a person has been drinking, what is the only way they will sober up? ______________________
69. BAC is determined by four factors: ___________________________________________________
70. The best way to reduce your chances of having an alcohol related accident is to
71. Drugs that may affect basic skills are __________________________________________________
72. Driving while under the influence of intoxicating beverage means___________________________
73. After 2-4 drinks, alcohol begins to impair your __________________________________________
74. The penalty for driving after your license has been suspended due to an alcohol or drug conviction
75. If you drink four 12 oz bottles of beer, you will have about as much alcohol in your system as if
you drank _______1.5 oz of whiskey or gin and ______5 oz glasses of table wine.
76. BAC in the body is related to: _______________________________________________________
77. What are the first signs of alcohol impairment? _________________
78. If you lose your license for drunk driving or any violations, you can obtain a special work license. Is
this statement true or false? ______ Why? __________________________________
79. New Jersey law states that you may or may not be under the influence if your blood alcohol
content is____________. ( If over 21)
80. What will increase your chance of having an accident even if you only had one or two drinks?
81. If a person gets drunk in your home and has a motor vehicle accident after leaving your home,
you could become involved in a ____________________________________________________.
82. Before turning, you must signal at least _______________________________________________.
83. When parking downhill on a street with a curb on your right, the car’s wheels should be
84. When two roads intersect and there are no signs or signals, it is a good practice to
85. To drive in reverse, you should ______________________________________________________
86. If a motorist must turn the wheel while reversing other than a straight line,
87. Every vehicle in New Jersey must be insured for ________________________________________.
88. If your car breaks down on any road, the first thing you should do is __________________.
89. You cannot park within how many feet of a crosswalk at an intersection? ___________________.
90. If you miss your exit on an expressway you should: ______________________________________
91. You may not park within how many feet of a fire hydrant? _______________________________.
92. To make a right turn, you should
93. What is a Habitual Offender? _______________________________________________________.
94. Laws of New Jersey require you to keep to the right except
95. On a two-lane road, not near a school, when a bus is stopped and its red lights are flashing you
must ______________________. When traveling on a dual-lane highway a motorist should slow
to ________________________ if on the other side of a safety island or raised median.
96. When making a left turn from a two-way road, you should get close to the __________________.
97. The New Jersey speed limits are:
a. 25 mph – ______________________________________
b. 35 mph – ______________________________________
c. 50 mph – ______________________________________
d. 55 mph – ______________________________________
e. 65 mph – ______________________________________
98. You may pass on the right of a two-lane roadway when __________________________________
99. Police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, and volunteer fire and rescue squad members responding to
emergencies use sirens and red or blue flashing lights. When you see or hear these, you must
yield ________________________and __________________________________.
100. When making a left turn from a two-way roadway into a four-way highway, the proper way to turn
101. If two cars begin to enter an uncontrolled intersection at the same time:
102. If a collision is impossible to avoid, you can lessen the impact by ___________________
103. If a school bus has stopped in front of a school to pick up or let off children, a motorist
104. To avoid highway hypnosis when driving on an expressway, it is good practice to
105. Road surfaces are slipperiest when __________________________________________________
106. It is good practice to keep a space cushion to__________________________________________.
107. You can reduce your chances of being involved in an accident by knowing and using the standard
accident prevent formula, which is ____________________________________________________
108. The “three-second rule” can be use at any speed to help you _____________________________
109. “Hydroplaning” means ____________________________________________________________
110. When driving around a curve, your vehicle will tend to _________________________________.
111. If a vehicle is passing you, you should _______________________________________________.
112. On city driving, a good habit is to ___________________________________________________
113. When driving at night, be sure that you can stop _______________________________________
114. If you should have a blowout while driving, ___________________________________________
115. The best way to “talk” to other drivers is to___________________________________________
116. If you run off the pavement, the first thing you should do is ______________________________
117. If you go into a skid, you should _____________________________________________________
118. If your brakes suddenly give out, the first thing you should try to do is ______________________
119. If a collision is impossible to avoid, you can lessen the impact by _________________________
120. What is a vehicle title? ____________________________________________________________
121. If you sell you car and do not want to buy another, what should you do with the license plates?
122. In order to drive in New Jersey, you car must be insured for ______________________________.
123. What is vehicle registration? _______________________________________________________
124. What is vehicle inspection? ________________________________________________________
125. When you move into New Jersey, you must have your vehicle inspected
126. Your car must be inspected every ___________________________________________________
127. New Jersey allows up to three points to be subtracted from your driving record if
128. What is highway hypnosis? _________________________________________________________
129. A truck takes than __________percent longer to stop than a car. In adverse conditions, trucks
can take __________ percent longer to stop.
130. What is a deceleration lane? What is an acceleration lane? Diagram both and explain on the
paper with the hand signals.
131. Studded snow tires are legal in New Jersey during what time?
132. What is the organ donor card? ______________________________________________________
133. Below diagram the 4-way stop behind Pathmark…Kiel & Kakeout Roads. Include the roadway
a. What are the procedures for driving through a 4 way stop?
b. Do people drive this intersection correctly? __________________________________
Complete these questions during the summer and you can apply/observe the
laws while you are driving with a licensed driver.