Docstoc

SHEFFIELD MOTORISTS' FORUM

Document Sample
SHEFFIELD MOTORISTS' FORUM Powered By Docstoc
					                            SHEFFIELD MOTORISTS’ FORUM

                                  Draft minutes
                        Meeting held on 15 December, 2010


PRESENT:    Councillor Ian Auckland     -   Sheffield City Council
            Andy Barber                 -   Motorist
            Peter Bull                      Traffic Information and Control, Sheffield
                                        -
                                            City Council
            Greg Challis                -   Transport Planning, Sheffield City Council
            Brent Collier               -   Traffic Information and Control, Sheffield
                                            City Council
            Tim Hale                    -   Sheffield Chamber of Commerce and
                                            Industry
            Kevin O’Regan               -   Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Trust
            Robert Prior                -   Motorist
            Dick Proctor                -   Transport Planning, Sheffield City Council
            Andy Sturrock               -   Motorist
            Haydn Vernals               -   Motorist
            Mick Wardle                 -   Motorist
            David Whitley               -   Transport Planning, Sheffield City Council


1.   APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND INTRODUCTION                               ACTION
       a.) Apologies for absence had been received from Cllr Tony
           Damms and Mac Millard.
       b.) Cllr Auckland welcomed everyone to the Urban Traffic
           Control centre at Carbrook.
2.   MINUTES OF THE MOTORISTS’ FORUM 23 SEPTEMBER,
     2010

       a.) The minutes of the Motorists Forum held on 23
           September, 2010 were agreed as a correct record.

3.   MATTERS ARISING/UPDATE ON ACTIONS

       a.) Matters Arising: Cllr Auckland drew members’ attention     3a) Haydn
           to the Network Blockages Summit that the Council was       Vernals to be
           convening on February 24 between 2pm and 4pm. This         Motorists Forum
           would be looking at how to deal with large vehicle         at the Network
           breakdowns on the city’s road network. It was agreed       Blockages
           that Haydn Vernals would represent the Motorists Forum     Summit
           at this event.
       b.) Update on Actions: Responding to Mick Wardle’s point
           about how maintenance and repairs should be prioritised
           over development of the network, Cllr Auckland said that
           the Forum’s intervention had helped to ensure that there
Meeting of Sheffield Motorists Forum 15.12.10                             Page 2

             was no cut in the maintenance “pot” for next year, despite
             the reductions in transport funding that had been
             announced.
         c.) Haydn Vernals asked whether there were sufficient staff
             resources to ensure repairs to faulty detection and
             associated traffic signal timings. Peter Bull said that as
             part of the forthcoming Highways PFI, a programme of
             repairs would be devised. This would be determined by
             the state of the road surface rather than where detection
             needed repairing.

4.   TRAVEL PLANNING TO ADDRESS CONGESTION IN THE
     S10 (HOSPITALS AND UNIVERSITY AREA)

         a.) Cllr Auckland welcomed Kevin O’Regan, Hotel Services
             Director from Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Trust (the
             Trust) to the meeting. The Travel Plan officer from the
             University of Sheffield had sent his apologies.
         b.) Mr O’Regan began by explaining his job role which
             covered all Sheffield Hospitals in the S10 area except the
             Children’s Hospital and also included Northern General
             Hospital.
         c.) The Trust’s Travel Plan had been approved at board level
             in 2007 and was now in the process of being refreshed,
             with a view to adoption in April / May 2011.
         d.) The Travel Plan was widely consulted upon, both within
             the Trust and with outside bodies such as community
             forums in Broomhill and Burngreave, South Yorkshire
             Passenger Transport Executive and Sheffield City
             Council. The Trust was happy to share its current draft
             plan.
         e.) Looking at what had been achieved since 2005, the
             travel plan had addressed the lack of car parking by
             encouraging people to think about how they made their
             journeys. This meant improving the quality of information
             that was given to patients, visitors and staff.
         f.) Particular problems had been experienced at the
             Hallamshire and Weston Park Hospital sites. Although a
             successful planning application had been made for a
             multi storey car park (MSCP) at Weston Park, this had
             not been pursued because the Trust Board did not feel it
             represented best value and a sound business case.
         g.) No additional investment was available to create car
             parking spaces at the central campus at present, except
             for a small number of spaces at the coach house near
             Weston Park Hospital, for which planning permission
             would be required.
         h.) Significant   improvements   had    been   delivered   by
Meeting of Sheffield Motorists Forum 15.12.10                             Page 3

            changing the balance of spaces available, largely by
            restricting staff access. This had been welcomed by
            patients’ and visitors’ representatives.
         i.) The Trust had appointed car park management at a
             financial cost, to provide active patrols and monitor the
             use of the car parks and potential traffic congestion. At
             present there were no charges at the Weston Park car
             park, but this was to be reviewed in the 2011/12 financial
             year.
         j.) If further investment in car parking was to be made, then
             increased charges might have to be levied. This was
             under consideration.
         k.) At the Hallamshire Hospital, there had been some
             improvement in the situation, although there were no
             additional parking spaces. Numbers of permits issued to
             staff had been reduced. Many staff lived under two miles
             away and there were good public transport links to the
             hospital and work had been undertaken with SYPTE to
             offer discounted fares, journey planning advice and a link
             to Traveline information from inside the hospital.
         l.) Cycling and walking had been encouraged with more
             cycle shelters and tax advantages for cycle purchases.
         m.) As a result of travel plans the following had been
             achieved
          Single occupancy travel had reduced by 18% to 36.5%
              (8% above 2009 target)
          Car sharing increased by 6% to 10.5% (0.5% above 2009
              target)
          Cycling increased by 1% to 3.9% of staff (0.5% above
              2009 target)
          Public transport increased by 2% to 27.9% (4.5% below
              2009 target)
          Walking had increased by 4% to 13.7% (3% above 2009
             target).
         n.) Mr O’Regan (KO’R) then responded to questions from the
             Forum. Tim Hale wanted to know why commercial car
             park operators could not be persuaded to develop a
             multi-storey at Weston Park Hospital to serve the S10
             hospitals?
         o.) KO’R said that planning permission for a multi-storey had
             run out, and although new permission could be sought,
             business investors had previously ruled out such a
             venture as they saw the profit margins as too low.
         p.) Tim Hale asked if the permit parking scheme in the area
             had simply pushed the on-street parking further afield,
Meeting of Sheffield Motorists Forum 15.12.10                                 Page 4

            from where staff would “informally” park and ride? What
            was being done with bus companies to provide
            appropriate services to the hospital?
         q.) KO’R said that there was evidence of displaced parking
             involving hospital staff and other users, but that people
             were free to park where they liked in the absence of
             restrictions. Having said that, the hospitals did not wish to
             generate additional traffic in adjoining areas, if it could be
             avoided. Close liaison took place with SYPTE and
             Sheffield City Council on a regular basis, to develop park
             and ride services, such as those already offered from
             Tesco on Abbeydale Road and Owlerton stadium.
         r.) Haydn Vernals said that as a regular visitor until quite
             recently, accompanying a patient to the hospital, he felt
             the parking situation was “diabolical”. Many people were
             taking dependants by car because they could not walk
             any distance to speak of. A long-term plan needed to be
             developed which considered all possible measures such
             as moving the hospital to a new site or demolition and
             consolidation of buildings on the existing site.
         s.) KO’R said that these were familiar problems facing
             hospitals. However, many senior people in the NHS did
             not see car parking as a core service. Some problems
             could be addressed, for example by staggering visitor
             times. But there were no plans for a new hospital in
             Sheffield or a new site at present.
         t.) Haydn Vernals agreed that hospitals were there to deliver
             health services, not car parking, but he wondered what
             could be done to involve the private sector more in
             providing a solution, for example.
         u.) KO’R said that where possible further investment would
             be made, for example a proposed new 200 spaces at the
             Northern General Hospital. However, even this expansion
             would not meet the demand for car parking. Yet Sheffield
             was in a better position than many other hospitals, if
             comparisons were made elsewhere in the country.
         v.) Responding to Tim Hale about a bus link between
             hospital sites, KO’R highlighted the H1 service funded by
             Sheffield Teaching Hospitals which shuttled between
             Northern General and Hallamshire hospitals. This was a
             half hourly service, which collected passengers en route
             as well as providing an important link for staff.
         w.) Robert Prior said that, as a resident who lived close to the
             central hospitals, he had witnessed some improvement of
             late but the situation remained unsatisfactory from a
             motorists’ point of view. Investment was required and
             innovative solutions should be used via planning
Meeting of Sheffield Motorists Forum 15.12.10                                Page 5

            agreements in the future.
         x.) KO’R agreed that it was important to learn from mistakes.
             An underground car park proposed at the former
             Jessop’s Hospital was rejected on costs grounds, and yet
             some people had a view that it could now be paying for
             itself.
         y.) Andy Sturrock wondered why park and ride could not also
             be provided for visitors and patients where appropriate.
             As to the shuttle service, he had not heard of it and he felt
             that the information that was given to hospital visitors in
             general was lacking in this regard. Mick Wardle added
             that it was a shame the link bus wasn’t better promoted,
             especially as it was cheaper and offered a friendly service
             to its users.
         z.) K’OR said that the H1 was a registered service with
             timetables and public information available but agreed
             that the information offered by hospitals to visitors and
             patients was of variable quality.
         aa.)       Peter Bull asked if new technology could be better
            deployed to enable the priority medical cases to park at
            the hospital on the basis of need. KO’R replied that the
            hospitals were attempting to address this, for example by
            priority drop off spaces for disabled people and so on.
            However this was a piece of work for the future, alongside
            encouraging more sustainable trips to hospital.
         bb.)     Andy Barber pointed out that car parking charges
            could be unfair on those who did not know how long they
            were staying and so ended up paying the maximum fee
            regardless. He asked if people were overstaying at
            Weston Park. KO’R said that the car park was a public
            one but since people had been asked to show
            appointment letters more spaces had been freed up for
            hospital users.
         cc.)       Mick Wardle said he was somewhat surprised to
             learn that the Trust did not see parking as part of its core
             service. It should be recognised that there were people
             for whom car transport to hospital was the only option. He
             suggested that if parking was to be prioritised at
             hospitals, then this could be done at the point of referral
             by GPs.
         dd.)      KO’R said that although such a measure may be
            possible, he was not aware that it had been adopted
            anywhere. It would not be possible for the hospital to
            reserve spaces as they did not have the spaces to offer
            on this basis. However, active discussions were taking
            place with GPs about the nature and type of referrals and
            whether they were all necessary.
Meeting of Sheffield Motorists Forum 15.12.10                                   Page 6

         ee.)      Concluding the discussion Cllr Ian Auckland said
            that whilst the Forum felt more needed to be done for
            motorists, it was evident that there were successful
            measures in force at the hospitals that encouraged more
            sustainable choices. The Forum had highlighted the need
            for an improvement in the quality of this information to
            people travelling to the hospital and he was sure that Mr
            O’Regan would take that message away. Kevin O’
            Regan reiterated that he was happy for Forum members
            to approach him directly via his email address.

5.   ADDITIONAL ITEM – WINTER MAINTENANCE
         a) In view of the severe weather over the past month, the       ACTION 5i)
            Forum agreed to deal with an additional agenda item –        Forum to write
            an assessment of how the city’s winter maintenance           to bus
            regime had performed.                                        companies
         b) Haydn Vernals opened the discussion. He said that            suggesting that
            although the media were reporting that all Priority One      they offer a
            routes were open, the reality was that the Parkway had a
                                                                         limited service
            single lane open only. Where single lanes only had been      on the main
            cleared, for instance, on the approach to roundabouts,       roads that are
            this constrained capacity. Tim Hale underlined this point.   clear in the
            A journey from Twentywell Road, Bradway to join the          event of bad
            motorway had taken an hour for this reason.                  weather, rather
         c) Haydn Vernals added that another example of information      than
            given to the public being incorrect came from his            suspending the
            experience of speaking to Street Force. He had reported      service
            that his street was blocked and been told that a             altogether.
            snowplough would be sent to clear it within 24 hours. A
            week later some grit was dumped on his street. He felt it
            was better to be realistic about when such help would be
            available, otherwise the public would feel let down.
         d) Cllr Auckland said that during the severe weather in
            winter 2009/10 Street Force had kept clear all the primary
            and secondary routes, some 59% of the network, every
            day. This year it had not proved possible to cover the
            same amount of ground, simply because of the severity of
            the snow and constant freezing temperatures. He agreed
            that the clear message which needed to go out was that
            the primary network of A and B classified roads would be
            cleared first, then the secondary roads and finally the
            estates. Even if this meant inconvenience for some, it
            made sense to have a priority order of this sort.
         e) Cllr Auckland added that vast quantities of grit had been
            used and this was now being “bulked out” with sand,
            which was acceptable as an additive given the amount of
            grit that had already been spread on the road. Snow
            wardens had been recruited and issued with salt and
            about 60 were active in the scheme with another 60 on
            the waiting list. In a new development, in addition to the
Meeting of Sheffield Motorists Forum 15.12.10                                  Page 7

              24 gritters and six smaller gritters, 20 JCBs had been
              hired in to help clear snow on the side roads.
         f)   Peter Bull added that this was the deepest snow on
              record, and the Council’s ability to clear it was limited by
              the available resources in terms of “men and machines”
              not to mention hours in the day. If this resource was used
              to clear both lanes on major roads, then fewer secondary
              roads would be cleared. However, selectively clearing
              wider areas at key junctions and roundabouts would
              contribute much to improving traffic flow. There was a
              necessity to keep delivery routes to supermarkets open,
              especially as they tended to have only 48 hours of
              supplies in store.
         g)   Responding to Andy Barber, Peter Bull confirmed that
              gritters operated for 24 hours a day during such weather.
         h)   Andy Sturrock said it seemed to him that many gritters
              were not spreading to the full distance of the carriageway.
              Mick Wardle said he had also witnessed ploughing and
              gritting being done to short of the full width of the road. He
              suggested that next year traffic levels were likely to be
              higher, as winter tyres were proving a popular acquisition.
              Having said that he had managed to get around on
              Sheffield’s main roads without too much difficulty, even
              during the worst of the recent weather.
         i)   On Penistone Road, for example, snow had been down
              but the road was passable. This begged the question as
              to why buses services had been suspended. As a result
              many people had been forced to walk long distances to
              work, and some sort of truncated public transport along
              the arterial routes, perhaps offering reduced fares, would
              have assisted greatly. The bus companies should be
              pressured to keep running even if it meant offering a
              reduced service.
         j)   Dick Proctor added that the information about public
              transport was also somewhat lacking and at times had
              failed to reflect the extent of the service that was still
              running. Peter Bull said that Traveline had closed down
              and offered only a recorded message which was poor
              customer service.
         k)   Tim Hale and Peter Bull noted that the police had lifted
              tachometer restrictions to assist lorry drivers – a sensible
              measure.
         l)   Dick Proctor said that many vehicles had been
              abandoned, sometimes in places that blocked the
              network. The tow away policy needed to be applied with
              some sensitivity, but applied nonetheless.
         m)   Cllr Auckland said that there were issues to pick up such
              as ensuring the best possible distribution of grit bins. The
              Council had spent £100,000 per day clearing the snow.
              Andy Barber said that this was a small cost if it meant that
              industry could keep functioning.
Meeting of Sheffield Motorists Forum 15.12.10                                    Page 8


     DRIVING ME CRAZY -- UDPATE
7.
         a.) The written report was noted.

8.   LOCAL TRANSPORT PLAN (LTP) PROGRAMME 2010/11
     UPDATE
         a.) Dick Proctor reported that the recent announcement by
             the Secretary of State for Transport had confirmed that
             the Local Transport Plan (LTP) budget for 2011/12 had
             been halved. This would severely limit what it was
             possible to deliver next year.
         b.) The programme would now be devised and agreed and
             put before members (councillors) for approval in the New
             Year. Having said that, the Ecclesall Road corridor –
             which was the subject of a presentation at this meeting –
             would remain a priority for delivery.

         ECCLESALL ROAD SMART ROUTE – HUNTERS BAR
9.
         TRAFFIC MODELLING AND FUTURE PROPOSALS FOR
         CONSULTATION
           a) David Whitley (DW) from Sheffield Council transport         ACTION 9n):
              planning introduced this item. He explained that the
                                                                          copy of
              first consultation about plans for the Ecclesall Road       Ecclesall Road
              corridor had been undertaken 18 months ago.                 proposals to be
           b) Since that time the financial position had changed, not     supplied to
              least in the last week. However, it was still intended to   Forum members
              go ahead with key elements of the Smart Route
              although it was not possible to commit immediately to
              all the measures that would benefit the corridor.
           c) The project focussed on the Ecclesall Road corridor,
              from the Moore Street roundabout at the ring road to
              as far as the junction with Abbey Lane on Ecclesall
              Road South.
           d) One surprise to emerge from the public consultation
              was that the section between Psalter Lane and
              Carterknowle Road had serious issues caused by
              turning vehicles. The plans drawn up sought to
              address this.
           e) The project had identified five priorities – congestion,
              safety, road and pavement surfaces, public transport
              and road crossing facilities.
           f) The five main localities for which measures were
              proposed were Hunters Bar, Glen Almond Road,
              Moore Street, Rustlings Road – Greystones Road and
              Bents Green – Ecclesall Road South.
           g) Options were being devised for each of these
              locations, plus smaller scale interventions such as
              junction improvements such as at Ecclesall Road /
              Collegiate Crescent and at the location of the new
Meeting of Sheffield Motorists Forum 15.12.10                                      Page 9

                 Marks and Spencers store on the former Gilders site
                 at the top of Psalter Lane.
            h)   In order to arrive at solutions AIMSUN traffic
                 simulation modelling had been used. This looked at
                 traffic flows and the likely impact of solutions between
                 Moore Street and Carterknowle Road, from where
                 traffic started to flow more freely.
            i)   This showed that improved journey times of around
                 two minutes were possible. More importantly, journey
                 time reliability was significantly improved.
            j)   Much benefit would be derived from work at the Moore
                 Street roundabout, such as road widening on the
                 approach on Hanover Way. The meeting would look at
                 one key intervention in detail, which was at Hunters
                 Bar.
            k)   Brent Collier (BC) from Traffic Information and Control
                 familiarised the Forum with the AIMSUN computer
                 software. This was a micro simulation model with a
                 visual output which represented realistically on screen
                 how traffic would flow based upon changed road lay-
                 outs.
            l)   Importantly, the software allowed for the modelling of
                 individual driver behaviour. Every vehicle in the
                 simulation had a specific journey with an origination
                 and destination. The presentation was well received.
            m)   David Whitley described the proposed removal of two
                 sections of bus lanes on Ecclesall Road and how the
                 model had performed “sensitivity testing” to
                 demonstrate the robustness of the results. He also
                 referred to the adoptive traffic signal strategy for
                 Moore Street roundabout.
            n)   It was agreed to supply a copy of the plans for Forum
                 reps to consider in their own time. Members were
                 encouraged to keep involved in the consultation that
                 was due to start in February 2011.

      QUESTIONS / ISSUES RAISED BY FORUM MEMBERS AND
10.
      THE PUBLIC
           a) Andy Sturrock commented that the work at the Barrow           ACTION: future
              Road / Meadowhall Road junction had resulted in               agenda item
              significant improvements to traffic flow.                     requests
           b) In response to Robert Prior about Moorhead junction
              and the outbound right turn towards Charter Square, it        Dore Park and
              was reported that the Council leader had decided that         Ride
              there should be a public vote on whether this was re-         M1 Junction 33
              instated. Meanwhile it was intended to unblock an
              “escape route” for vehicles to make this right turn in an
              emergency.
           c) Tim Hale asked what scope there was for creating
              additional park and ride capacity at Meadowhall and
              the Lower Don Valley in view of the problems caused
Meeting of Sheffield Motorists Forum 15.12.10                          Page 10

               by on street parking around Roman Ridge Road. It
               was confirmed that SYPTE were leading on review.
            d) It was confirmed that Sheffield was bidding to the
               Plugged in Places fund in support of electric vehicle
               recharging infrastructure.
            e) An update on proposals for Dore Park and Ride was
               requested at a future meeting.
            f) An update was also requested on improvements at M1
               Junction 33.

      ANY OTHER BUSINESS
11.
      There being no further business, the meeting closed.

      TIME AND DATE OF MEETINGS IN 2011
12.
      Thursday 17 March 2011
      Thursday 16 June 2011
      Thursday 15 September 2011
      Thursday 15 December 2011

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:17
posted:4/8/2012
language:English
pages:10