White Ribbon Campaign Meeting
5 October 2011
10am – 12 noon
Raewyn Bhana SAFVPN
Asenaca Uluiviti SAFVPN
Apikaera Kemp SAFVPN
Tim Smith NZ Police – District Family Violence Co-ordinator
Erin Johnston NZ Police – Howick
Julia Hartmann Peace Foundation
Jonnie Black Peace Foundation
Kelli Hannon CYFS
Stephanie Maangi CYFS
Jacqui Short Te Whare Ruruhau O Meri
Angela Cunningham Manurewa Local Board
Terry Taniwha MIT Student Placement
Karen Gillies Business Support, AC
Rosetta Reti Simanu (Auckland Council), Angela Cunningham-Marino
(Manurewa Local Board), Lydia Sosene (Mangere-Otahuhu Local Board), Tom
Powell (Brookfields), Diana Vao (Salvation Army), Robyn Edmonds (Ministry of
Justice), Sharon Dawson (Ministry of Justice), four TWOA students.
3 WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS
4 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
Resolved that the minutes of the meeting 7 September, 2011 held be accepted
as a true and correct record subject to the following amendment: page 1 no. 1
Sharon Dawson (Ministry of Justice) did not attend and put in her apologies.
Moved Raewyn, seconded Kelli.
5 MATTERS ARISING
The South Auckland ambassador put forward from the Manurewa Local
Board was accepted. Raewyn will forward name. Raewyn
Sponsorship and funding requests were almost all declined; CYFS, Police
and some other agencies have donated items for the goody bags. The Mad
Butcher is offering sausages at 35cents each, just needs a letter of
Flava are all confirmed and just need “slogos” to play in the week leading up
to the WR event. Anything you would like passed on in your own reo, All
particularly Samoan and Tongan, please prepare.
- Confirmed media: Samoan, Tongan and Chinese newspapers; Te Karere;
- T-shirts you need to order yourself online ($30 each).
- Nine schools are performing.
Peace Foundation confirmed that will have 9 people available to help on the Raewyn
day. Raewyn to email Caroline to get their names.
White Ribbon Minutes 5 October 2011 1
SAFVPN placed an order to the Families Commission for resources on
behalf of all agencies other than the Police. The order was tabled for the
committee. Resources will be delivered and distributed by SAFVPN at next
- 100 riders confirmed for arrival in the morning with about 20 local bikers
expected to join them. Police will have marshals to park them. Need to
keep them to schedule of event.
NZ Police – Tim Smith and Erin Johnston
- Will depend who is available on the day as to exact numbers of Police able
attend and show support. Staff will be involved with operational side;
- In discussions with those further up as to the stall on the day: will have a
Police stall, just determining if there will be someone to man it or if it is best
to be unmanned - sometimes people feel more comfortable taking info when
- District Commander still to confirm attendance as still to be appointed.
Manurewa Local Board – Angela Cunningham
Will get a full report from Angela Dalton as to specific support required and Angela
report back to Raewyn.
- Will have a stall on the day.
SAFVPN – Apikaera Kemp
- Entertainment for the day is being organised and confirmed.
Te Whare Ruruhau O Meri – Jacquie Short
- Working on breakfast at Salvation Army with Diana. Currently trying to
source sponsorship for food. SAVFPN able to provide cereal through their
sponsorship with Hubbards
Peace Foundation – Jonnie Black
- Providing support on the day with set up etc.
- Prior to event linking with the other agencies they work with to promote the
Application has been submitted by Peace Foundation for Jonnie Black to be
a White Ribbon ambassador. This will be followed up. Raewyn
CYFS – Kelli Hannon and Stephanie Maangi
Two volunteers able to help on the day, will forward names to Raewyn. If Stephanie
needed, can provide at least one additional volunteer on the day.
- Need to confirm if will have a stall.
8 GENERAL BUSINESS
Invitations to VIPs: some have given names to Raewyn, those still to provide All
VIP list confirm names and send through. Letters are to be sent this Friday.
- Media representatives for the day (representing Samoan, Maori and
Pakeha) are confirmed.
All are happy with draft letters inviting schools to breakfast at Salvation
Army. Will confirm this with Diana for her to send out letters. Karen
Requested that a Manurewa Local Board representative be present at the Manurewa
breakfast. Local Board
- Breakfast starts at 8am: half the committee to attend the breakfast, the other
half at Manukau Square setting up.
White Ribbon Minutes 5 October 2011 2
Families Commission would like the Patriots head to speak. This has
support of committee - Raewyn will confirm them to speak. Raewyn
Programme for the day:
- Breakfast at 8am at Salvation Army Manukau
- Opening at Manukau at 10am. Manu whenua (Jim Rophero) confirmed to
do brief welcome to everyone.
- First school performs at 10.40am.
- Bike riders will ride around Manukau Square at 11.15am.
- School performances will continue.
Goody bags will be made up and handed out, Flava will play music throughout
Clean up needs to happen asap after the close of event as the Santa Parade is
Prayer by Jonnie and meeting closed at 10.55am.
9 NEXT MEETING
Wednesday 26th October 2011
10am – 12 noon
Puhinui Room, West Annex
Civic Building, Manukau
White Ribbon Minutes 5 October 2011 3