The Outsiders Unit Test
Directions: Write the letter of the person described by each statement. (1 point each)
1. Runs with gangs in New York a. Cherry
and is the most dangerous of the
Greasers. ____ b. Dallas
2. Narrator of the story, lives with
older his brothers, and likes c. Darrel
3. Known for his jokes, shoplifting, d. Johnny
and his switchblade. ____
4. A red-headed, soc cheerleader e. Ponyboy
that believes “it’s tough all over.”
___ f. Sodapop
5. Looks good, is happy go lucky,
and plans on marrying Sandy. g. Two-Bit
6. The gang’s pet, is nervous and h. Steve Randle
sensitive and has abusive parents.
7. Knows everything about cars,
works at the gas station, and
doesn’t like annoying kid
brothers tagging along ____
8. Oldest of the three brothers and
unofficial leader of the Greasers.
Multiple Choice: Circle the correct answer. (2 points each)
9. Based on the themes of the novel and Robert Frost’s poem “Nothing Can Stay Gold”,
what is Johnny most likely asking Ponyboy to do when he says, “Stay gold, Ponyboy.
A. Always remember that wealth is the key to happiness
B. Stay loyal to the Greasers
C. Don’t lose your innocence and special qualities
D. Beware of the lower class
10. One of the major themes of the text can be summarized as…
A. bridging the gap between rich and poor
B. true love conquers all
C. mothers always know best
D. violence is never the answer
11. Which of these best describes how Johnny changed as a character?
A. Vulnerable and cowardly to brave and heroic
B. Strong leader to confused follower
C. Cruel bully to sympathetic rebel
D. None, stayed cowardly the whole novel
12. The fact that Johnny’s note that claims saving the lives of the children was worth
losing his own wasn’t found until after Dallas had himself killed because he didn’t think
Johnny losing his life was fair or worth it can be seen as an example of…
In a brief essay, describe how one of the characters from The Outsiders reminds
you most of yourself or someone that you know. Use examples from the text and real life
to support your answer. Write your answer on the back of this page. (12 points)
4 3 2 1
The essay The essay The essay The essay does
Quality of answers the answers the addresses the not address or
Answer prompt and prompt and prompt but answer the
shows a strong shows some does not answer prompt.
understanding understanding it.
of the text and of the novel and
its characters. its characters.
The essay has The essay has The essay has The essay has
Support three or more two supporting one supporting no supporting
supporting arguments. argument. arguments.
The essay has The essay has The essay has The essay is
Mechanics no mechanical few mechanical many full of me
errors errors. mechanical mechanical